It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A British Baroness' Plan to Reduce Health Care Costs: Kill Alzheimer's Patients

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   

A British Baroness' Plan to Reduce Health Care Costs: Kill Alzheimer's Patients

w ww.examiner.com

Baroness Mary Warnock, one of Great Britain’s most influential experts on both education and medical ethics, has raised the ire of British citizens, charities and pro-life organizations by stating that, “Elderly people with dementia are 'wasting' the lives of those who have to care for them.”

Warnock became a vocal supporter of euthanasia – here in the colonies we call it assisted-suicide - after her terminally ill husband was helped to die by his doctor more than a decade ago.

The Baroness, best known for leading a controversial 1970’s commission that determined disabled and emotionally-disturbed children should attend the same schools as children without special needs, told “Life and Work” magazine: “If you are demented, you are wasting people's lives, your family's lives, and you are wasting the resources of the National Health Service.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I'm in favor of national health care, but this article raises a serious question: when does the right to die become one's patriotic duty?

w ww.examiner.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

I'm in favor of national health care, but this article raises a serious question: when does the right to die become one's patriotic duty?

Me thinks you have a serious mental problem just for asking this question.

Seriously, all of you, ``if you're sick, die because it's cheaper``, please kill yourselves because you're wasting air, space, ressources. Follow your own advice of eugenics.

This is only a step from Hitler.

DISGUSTING.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
All I can think of is how this would make me feel if say, my mother had dementia. Sure, it would be a "hassle" in my life to take care of her, but unless she specifically wanted to die, I would never ever in a million years consider her a waste of my time and life.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The outlandish nature of the stated statement leads me to believe her words might have been twisted somewhat.

I'd be more inclined to believe she might have been pushing the idea that terminally ill patients should be given the right to a peaceful way out. Completely voluntary to the patient in question.

But... I could be wrong.

Either she really did stick her foot in her mouth, or she has some enemies out there who have plenty to gain from twisting her words.

Yes, it's a rather calculated way of looking at issues, and no, I am completely against it if it's mandatory. I believe in the right to chose, not to be forced, or even coerced.

I have known of many people who have died very slowly and very painfully, who have begged to be allowed to expire peacefully.

This is an issue that has been discussed for ages... I don't expect anyone will ever find an easy answer to it.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   
One of my favourite tv shows when I was a kid

First we have the pope saying suffer with dignity, and now we have a baroness saying die die die...I'm confused...which page of the CNWO manifesto did they both not read?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

Me thinks you have a serious mental problem just for asking this question.

I must have said that wrong. I was suggesting that this horrible question will arise if the right to die becomes commonplace. I certainly don't advocate the baroness's suggestion, or any form of eugenics. I posted the article because the premise is so outrageous.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

I think most readers interpreted your post as you had intended.

The Baroness' statement may have been ill-advised, assuming she meant that one's incapacity has an impact on those around you. But for crying out loud, illnesses outside of the control of the victim are an opportunity for compassion and human kindness.

I suppose that doesn't fit into the actuarial tables or spreadsheets nicely. If a demented patient is incapable of deciding to 'end it all' is she saying someone should decide for them? Isn't that murder?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Lady Warnock is pro voluntary euthanasia & was actually arguing that more research needs to be carried out to establish when people with dementia can still be considered to be mentally competent, in order that they can make a decision of their own free will to end their lives. She believes that a large number of people with dementia would choose voluntary euthanasia rather than suffer a long, lingering & particularly unpleasant death. And it is a horrible way to go, in the later stages you're unable to swallow, to eat or take liquids.

My own Grandmother suffered that way, at the time of her death she hadn't eaten solids for 23 days, hadn't taken liquids for eight. On her last day with us the nursing staff administered high doses of morphine "to prevent suffering" ... the family were quite well aware what that meant, euthanasia is practised quite widely certainly in Europe. But it just isn't spoken about. It's still taboo. I'm sure Granny would have wanted to go differently & at a time of her own choosing, as do I.

Lady Warnock isn't advocating euthanasia, to kill Alzheimer's patients in order to cut healthcare costs, as the title of this thread suggests. She's arguing for a wider debate about voluntary euthanasia. And where's the harm in that ?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sestias

Well, I for one don't want to continue on if I have alzheimer's. The thought that I wouldn't even recognize my loved ones is too much to bear. It is a very lonely way to suffer as everyone is a stranger, in the end. I don't condone the premise that this should be the way to go for everyone but I would want to have the choice.

top topics

join