It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The guy across the street claims to be "Ex-Chicago Mob"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
So I have lived at my current house for a couple of years now, and I live in a neighborhood of 80% retiree's and about 20% young families. Directly across the street lives an old retired couple with their mentally retarded son. I would say that they are in their 70's or so, and their son is probably 40.

So these people are really strange, and they don't really do anything but leave their house every once in a while in their minivan, and the old man drives a neon. He is old a and crippled. He usually waves at me and says hi, sometimes we chat about the weather.

The other day he was out getting in his car, as I was out front smoking a cig, when he said hi, and started talking about politics. I asked him what he did for a living and he said he was "Ex Chicago Mob". I was like "seriously". It was like he was proud of it. He seems to be a staunch democrat with an Obama sticker on his car. We have often talked about our distaste for the Bush administration. Not that it really matters, but I feel kinda strange living across the street from a self proclaimed mafioso, that may have done bad things to people his whole life.

If you were in the mob, I don't think you would want to advertise it like that, especially since the guy does not know me at all. It could be that he is kinda scared, and wants me to think he is a badass and not to be messed with. I don't know.

I'm not a fan of the mafia, and have a complete and total dislike for the gangsters of all kinds, to say the least.

What do you all think?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don't know but with saying ex-mafia it would seem he is in a witness protection program.

You don't step out of the mafia once you're in

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about it at all. You gotta remember that back in their time, the mob had A LOT to do with the teamsters and the unions. So they were every common back then. The Teamsters made a lot of money back then from being tied in, and everyone wanted a peice of it. Don't fret over it. I've learned that they provide AWESOME stories. Talk to him, you'll get great stuff. My uncle is actually writing his 4th book about the stuff my grandpa has told him through the years.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
He could be, but not from the heyday of Al Capone, Pretty Boy Floyd, Machinegun Kelly and all as he is too young for that time. At best a lowly thug, that is of course recent economic situations have not reminded him of his youth and childhood fantasy of running with the big guys.

All and all, I wouldn't worry about him an keep a friendly rapport up with an older neighbor. If he should happen to be retired mafia then your kindness will be rewarded with protection should you need or require it. If he isn't, well being nice and humoring an old guy has its rewards as well. Just don't make a big deal of it either way and you should be fine.

As to why it could be possible? Let's just say in my lifetime I have seen many things and ran into some interesting people. Not too many things surprise me anymore.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I really don't fear him at all(not to brag but I fear no man, and I am a seasoned firearms expert in fact I tied for second in a rifle silhouette match this morning, and actively compete in 3-gun IPSC matches, and other sanctioned practical pistol competetions). I have helped him fix his car a couple of times, and will continue to be nothing but nice to him, as well as my other elderly neighbors.

I would imagine he was a low level thug at best based on his standard of living(upper middle class). I will attempt to pump him for more info the next time I see him.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
It could be. I have a few "Mobsters" (though of the NYC variety) in the older generations of my family. It doesn't mean he's a crook, he could have just played along to protect himself. Judge him by what he does now, not what he did then.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I'm not saying he's telling the truth, but it's certainly plausible. I'm from Nebraska. When the FBI put Henry Hill (from the movie Good Fellas) in the Witness Relocation Program, they relocated him to a small town in Nebraska. He blew his own cover a while back, apparently feeling secure enough that the mob wasn't (and isn't) a threat anymore.

So it's definitely possible that he was in the mob. Next time you talk to him, ask him for his name...his REAL name.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grey Magic
I don't know but with saying ex-mafia it would seem he is in a witness protection program.

You don't step out of the mafia once you're in

Actually, there seems to be an unwritten law somewhere that requires all former mobsters in the witness protection program to be reloacated to Reno. I think we are the WPP capital of the world. And a democrat to boot? Must have been in the Bonano family.

new topics

join