It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you like to live in a world without science and technology?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I would like to live in a world without science and technology. Well a few pieces of technology left wouldn't be too bad. Stuff like telephones, modern plumbing, printing press and machines to make irrigation run faster, smoother, and more efficiently. A few things left in modern medical science would be fine as well. Just as long as it isn't the poison and dangerous stuff that most of the medical science industry uses.

Other than those things I would like to see the world without most of the science and technology that it has today. The world would be a much better place if we didn't have the excessive amounts of science and technology. Science and technology has made the human race arrogant, lazy, and apathetic. Sure there has been people like that around since the fall of Adam and Eve.

However it is worse now than it has ever been. If you take a look at history, you will see that the hearts of man grow much more wicked, when science and technology is peaking. They become arrogant, lazy, and apathetic. We are living in a time, when science and technology are greater than they have ever been.

From the time before the great flood to now, every time a civilization had science and technology that was greater than before, fell because of these things arrogance, laziness, and apathy. Often times partaking in many other wicked acts. This topic is not to get a theological debate going, but to discuss "Would you like to live in a world without science and technology?".

Would you rather live with science and technology, and live with a people who are arrogant and apathetic? Or would you rather live without S&T, and live with a people who are hard working, humble, and caring for one another? I would rather live in a world where people are hard working, humble, and caring for one another, than live in a world where science and technology can allow me to live like a king.

Please do not be greedy and answer something like: I would like to live in a world where science and technology is great and can allow me to live like a king, and in a world where people are hard working, humble, and caring for one another.

That type of answer is not an option.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Since my high school years I have hated modern civilization. In fact I used to call it the “Global Life Support System.” People think we are so advanced and so intelligent, but that is only as a group. Individually we are a bunch of domesticated wimps that would probably die within a week if the system were to collapse.

Some time ago I read a book by Desmond Mooris called the Human Zoo, and he actually had some interesting viewpoints. One of them was the common behaviors between men and animals in captivity (zoo’s). The way I see it, our system was designed out of fear… designed to take away the struggle and the foundational purpose in life for survival. In so doing we have built our own prisons. Our own cages, and we are miserable, but afraid of the real world.

So much more could be said, but I have to go for now.

Great thread BTW.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrfreehugs
IWould you rather live with science and technology, and live with a people who are arrogant and apathetic? Or would you rather live without S&T, and live with a people who are hard working, humble, and caring for one another?

Hold an a minute.....are you assuming that people that use technology are arrogant and apathetic and people that can live without S&T are the opposite?

I know a lot of hard working, humble and caring people that would rather live with technology. Its a tad unfair to generalise people into those groups

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Ask yourself how far back you have to go to find people who were living without any technology.

The further back you go, the more you end up relying on a group of people in order to gather enough food and shelter.

The pioneers in the 1500s, Jamestown, Roanoke were not assured of making it through a winter. Even healthy people had accidents and cuts and scrapes which could become infected.

Even people who go back to nature and live by themselves have to have deliveries of salt and other staples.

Remember, at certain time periods you wouldn't have things like eyeglasses, woven cloth, pots and pans, tools, weapons.

They've had some TV shows where people do it and after a while most were eager to come back to 20th Century conveniences.

Try surviving for two weeks after a hurricane where you have your shelter, but no refrigeration or use of a stove or even running water. It may cure you of the desire to 'camp out', let alone live in the 1500s.

Don't mean to be discouraging. Just thinking aloud.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Science and technology has made the human race arrogant, lazy, and apathetic. Sure there has been people like that around since the fall of Adam and Eve.

I have pondered this very subject most of my adult life. I would even go as far to say that I have been secretly yearning to be from an earlier era. It may sound silly, but I have always wished I had been born into early American Pioneer timeframe.

So would I like to live in a world without science and technology?

Yes, without a doubt.

V/r

Me

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I'm all for technology.

The four things I'm most grateful for living to see come into existence are cell phones, the internet, GPS, and atomic clocks.

I also happen to be very fond of the modern automobile. The level of sophistication of your typical Honda Accord is so far above the cars of my youth that it boggles my mind.

I do wish that sometimes that cars were as user-serviceable as they were in those days, when changing ones oil was about as simple as brushing ones teeth, but in the long haul, tires that rarely blow out and last 40,000 plus miles, increased power and fuel efficiency, and 100,000 miles between tune-ups impresses the hell out of me.

I also reject the idea that technology exacerbates human vice, except in the case of some women who have become increasingly obnoxious and hostile since the advent of modern home appliances.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

If you take a look at history, you will see that the hearts of man grow much more wicked, when science and technology is peaking.

I disagree. I don't really see science and technology as being the root of evil here. Politicians will still be dishonest, greedy and power-hungry, men will still cheat on and abuse their wives, kids will still buy guns off the street...and use them, crimes against children will still occur, wars will still be fought, not over the latest upgrades and breakthroughs, but because of HATE. You can take away all of the super-computers across the globe, these things will still go on.

Would you rather live with science and technology, and live with a people who are arrogant and apathetic? Or would you rather live without S&T, and live with a people who are hard working, humble, and caring for one another?

I think that many will take offense to that statement. I take advantage of science and technology everyday. My asthmatic child can have his medicine administered immediately, an hour's long horse and buggy ride to the nearest hospital would kill him. I'm on my computer everyday. I am not arrogant...I am a humble person who cares for her community and neighbors. Oh, and yes, I work very hard.

We are living in a time, when science and technology are greater than they have ever been.

I'm sure that every generation since the dawn of man has said that.

What I have taught my children is to embrace science and technology, not to fear it. Sure we could all sit around here and say "Oh, wouldn't the world be so great if there was no technology or super computers?", well, that is not now nor will ever be realistic. So what I teach my kids is to appreciate the way things were, the sacrifices that people made "in the old days" and the simplicity of those times. Let's not blame it on technology, let's blame it on the individuals who use it against others.

I cannot imagine never seeing the beautiful images that the Hubble Space Telescope has graced us with. Or the unlimited resources that my kids have to help them with their schoolwork, or the fact that my child can overcome a severe asthma attack in a matter of seconds. So I'll take science and technology and do my part to be responsible with it.

Rush

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Badge01

I dare say we can go farther than that:

Java Man's First Tools

In 1998, Widianto found stone flakes in the 800,000-year-old Grenzbank layer at Sangiran, whose well-plumbed sediments reach back 2 million years. Then in September 2004, his team struck gold in a layer dated by extrapolation from the rocks around it to 1.2 million years ago. Over 2 months, they unearthed 220 flakes--several centimeters long, primarily made of chalcedony, and ranging in color from beige to blood red--in a 3-by-3-meter section of sand deposited by an ancient river.

The find, not yet published, could be even more spectacular than Widianto realizes, says Ciochon. His team, which also works at Sangiran, has used ultraprecise argon-argon radiometric methods to date the volcanic strata overlying the levels excavated by Widianto to 1.58 million to 1.51 million years ago--making the flakes at least 1.6 million years old. If the flakes were undisturbed, Ciochon says, they would represent "some of the earliest evidence of the human manufacture of stone artifacts outside of Africa." Their antiquity would match that of the oldest flakes found in China, at Majuangou, dated to 1.66 million years ago and also made of chert.
science mag

Hard to cope with their environment I would think.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Sure, after all, apes use tools, so our presumed common ancestors would probably use simple sticks and straws and build simple habitats.

The thing to realize is it's considerably -harder- to go back to an earlier existence having no gradient of experience and conditioning than to grow up in a primitive society, where the pressures and modes of existence mold the individuals and their character and coping mechanisms.

Modern man would have to learn to cope and adapt whereas primitive man would do it naturally.

In fact one might argue that even their very physiological makeup, enzyme systems, and hormones might be different. We don't know. We do think that early man had shorter stature and thicker bones, making them more durable.

Just some additional thoughts. Good point.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Would you rather live with science and technology, and live with a people who are arrogant and apathetic? Or would you rather live without S&T, and live with a people who are hard working, humble, and caring for one another?

I for one would take the technology one. If it weren't for the medical science that we have right now chances are good that I wouldn't be alive. Therefore your pastoral scenario would mean death for me.

You seem to feel (Please correct me if I'm wrong) that the two (S&T and caring) are mutually incompatible with each other. I beg to differ. We live in a technological society and I have known friends for over 25 years now who are caring and very hard working. Therefore I feel that the two are not mutually exclusive of each other.

Here is one thing to consider about a technologically driven society that you may not have considered. Given a sufficiently advanced tech one can always leave the society that you deplore. FTL drives anyone? And seek out whatever society (or even found one yourself) that is more towards your liking.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Believe it or not I have been looking for people who share this viewpoint.

I have always admired primintive identity. In the sence that living natuaraly or away from captivity would be ideal. I've taken a step back and I'm really observing my surroundings. I have a nice car and many materialistic possesions. I FEEL EMPTY. My grandmother said to me the other day "look at your parents. They HAVE money, they have an expensive house with nice furnishings with horses and toys. Are they happy?" No. They are some of the most misserable people I know. As a child I desperatly felt myself trying to escape captivity through imagination. As a young adult I turned to drugs. I have outgrown this but I can't help serching for something more. Something more natural. A life where your prime existence is survival and unionship with our fellow man. We wanted to be closer to people with technology, through telephones, the enternet and television. We wanted to feel safer with medical technology. Instead of surviving we are waiting to die. . . .

Honestly I see less of my family and friends this way. My family never ate together, we'd go into our personal rooms and watch our own personal T.V. I live with these people but we rarely talk. I FEEL LESS CONECTED WITH HUMANITY. We don't work together as a clan or family grouping to find food; hunt, gather, and to be sufficent for our own survival. This was the way we were ment to be. Instead we have too much pride and greed. Always striving to HAVE more than our neighboor instead of working together and benifiting from eachother as a whole.

I envy the Native Americans pervious way of life. We too are wild animals deserving of freedom. I fantisize of a place where this might still exsist. I am considering making the leap into nature. If I only knew how . . . . Would that make me a bum, hippie or a fugitive? LOL Would it matter as long as I was free from this personal prison? I WORK TO MAKE MONEY TO BUY ME HAPPINESS AND SECURITY. BUT I FEEL NONE. I would rather die of natural causes living in nature and wirhout medical attention than to continue the tourmant of every day urban life. To me that is pro life. I'll keep searching until I've found it. I'm only 24 so theres still time . . . . I hope you too will find what your looking for.

new topics

top topics

join