It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twenty-Six Million People Around the Globe Have Alzheimer's

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Twenty-Six Million People Around the Globe Have Alzheimer's

www.prne wswire.com

Join the Fight Against This Worldwide Epidemic on World Alzheimer's
Day, September 21st

CHICAGO, Sept. 21 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In honor of World
Alzheimer's Day, Sunday, September 21st, the Alzheimer's Association is
asking people across the globe to turn their attention to this disease and
visit www.actionalz.org... to learn more and make a donation to support
research and care service programs for those touched by the disease in the
United States. For every dollar donated, the Alzheimer's Association's
national board of directors will match it dollar-for-dollar, up to
$250,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.actionalz.org
www.alz.org

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I have read many reports that say Alzheimers has been on a steady increase over the past few years. I have also read that there could or could not be a link from Cell Phone usage to Alzheimer's. With the ever increasing use of Cell Phone use I can only.... ahhh... um... What was I talking about?

www.prne wswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There may be a link to mobile phone use and Alzheimers.. But ya know, it's not a very obvious or dominant threat if it is. My Grandad had Alzheimers, but he didn't get it until he was early 70's.

I work as a carer, and most people that have it in the nursing home I work in, get it in old age, say late 60's-70's at an average. Unless people are clearly getting it at a younger age, then I doubt that the mobile phone link is worth noting. Although, I'm fairly sure that mobiles aren't the healthiest of gadgets to use. I very rarely use mine.

The increase could realistically be caused by anything. It could simply be the human body trying to kill itself, since we're living past our "sell by date", or, harmful chemicals e.t.c. It is basically brain damage, and it does obviously kill at different speeds, depending on the severity.

With any luck, they'll come up with a "cure" for this by the time my mother or any of my siblings come of age to suffer from such a horrible disease. There's been a few potential "cures" in the papers in the past year, what happened to those??....

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, humorously, ( as in ironic humor ) , recent studies have also shown one of the side effects of Nicotine to be neural stimulation to the effect of seriously lowering the chances of having Alzheimer's.

I'm not going to jump to conclusions, but the decrease in smoking globally could have quite an impact on the number of people suffering from Alzheimer's and forms of dementia.

But, that's theoretical until someone with the numbers cross references them.

[Edit]
Wink wink.

I know there are some who are looking into ways to simulate the effects of nicotine without involving the harmful chemical agents responsible for other ailments.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Theres an estamated 60 million poeple with schizophrenia globaly. Next to depression its the second most comon metal ilness.

Between schizophrenia and alzheimer's I don't know which is worse both have the ability to rob somone of thier life. Except schizophrenia tends to take hold earlier in life.

My grandfather had alzheimer's I have schizophrenia and I have seen what both illnesses can do.

new topics

top topics

join