It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

50th anniversary of the Integrated Circuit.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It was 50 years ago, almost to the day (12 September 1958), that the first Integrated Circuit was invented by Jack Kilby (Texas Instruments).

Another person (Robert Noyce, Fairchild Semiconductors and later co-founder of Intel) was also instrumental, since it is his silicon support that still preveil today (Kilby was using Germanium).

It is mind bugling to think that 50 years ago there was only one micro-chip and it was on Kilby's desk, today we don't even know how many there are, and they millions times more powerful.

Since then, we cannot think of a world without them.

And please, don't tell me it was stolen from the little green men.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I worked on military systems with IC's in them which had brass date stamps on the chassis from 70 years ago.

The Textbook age of the IC is 50. The real age is closer to 70.
One of those systems was a doppler radar. Yes 70 year old radar.

Don't believe everything you read.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cyberbian
I worked on military systems with IC's in them which had brass date stamps on the chassis from 70 years ago.

The Textbook age of the IC is 50. The real age is closer to 70.
One of those systems was a doppler radar. Yes 70 year old radar.

Don't believe everything you read.

Can someone else confirm this, I have a hard time believe this, perhaps the stamp is 70 years old, but had few upgrades and the I.C. was one of them.

I know, transistor were invented before the I.C. and this from Wikipedia:

The integrated circuit was conceived by a radar scientist, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer (1909-2002), working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence, and published at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on May 7, 1952.[1] He gave many symposiums publicly to propagate his ideas.

Dummer unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956.

This is only 2 years before J. Kilby, not 20 years earlier.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

"The integrated circuit was conceived by a radar scientist, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer (1909-2002), working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence, and published at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on May 7, 1952.[1] He gave many symposiums publicly to propagate his ideas."

Dummer unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956

The transistor was invented before 1952;

In 1947, the transistor, probably the most important invention developed by Bell Laboratories, was invented by John Bardeen, Walter Houser Brattain, and William Bradford Shockley (and who subsequently shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956).

Here they are;

2PacSade-

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2PacSade

Originally posted by PopeyeFAFL

"The integrated circuit was conceived by a radar scientist, Geoffrey W.A. Dummer (1909-2002), working for the Royal Radar Establishment of the British Ministry of Defence, and published at the Symposium on Progress in Quality Electronic Components in Washington, D.C. on May 7, 1952.[1] He gave many symposiums publicly to propagate his ideas."

Dummer unsuccessfully attempted to build such a circuit in 1956

The transistor was invented before 1952;

In 1947, the transistor, probably the most important invention developed by Bell Laboratories, was invented by John Bardeen, Walter Houser Brattain, and William Bradford Shockley (and who subsequently shared the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1956).

Here they are;

2PacSade-

As I already mentioned, I knew that the transistor was invented before the I.C., and we are taking I.C. here, not transistor, the previous poster claim that I.C. exist since 70 years ago, a good 10 years before the invention of the transistor and 20 years before the accepted date for the invention of the I.C.

Can anyone (other then the previous poster) confirm 70 years old I.C.?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
These things came out of Military R&D. You don't publish the existence of the underlying "Magic" technology. I am not saying anything startling here.

Just think about it. Sometimes the good doctors who invent do not get to publish for a good number of years.

About the Doppler Radar. Radar was supposed to be just being invented at the outset of WWII. So the radar itself whether it had IC or not also did not exist officially at the time of the datestamp.

I believe that one of these late releases just occured with the announcement this summer of the HP memristor technology.

This is a replacement for the perceptron tube which went out of manufacture in the 1980s at the height of it's market's demand, infact during a boom in neural network electronics R&D.

I also worked on targeting computers and pdp11 systems with similar date stamps. Neither of these could possibly have been upgraded using newer technolgy of IC. There simply would not have been room in the chassis.
These did not predate the IC as significantly as the radar I mentioned, so you may allow a few years slop and the possability the Radar was upgraded using newer IC tech.

Imagine my surprise when I was reading an old electronics text book and went up to do maintenance and looked at the brass plate. I tripple checked the text and the plate. Some people believe, others doubt. On this thing, I know.

One more interesting fact. The radar was in Pearl Harbor Hawaii. So there was likely radar in use in Pearl Harbor years before the outbreak of WWII.
Unless of course the unit was moved there later.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Cyberbian]

new topics

top topics

join