It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ex-Suspects Want Police To Pay For Dead Marijuana Plants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Ex-Suspects Want Police To Pay For Dead Marijuana Plants

www.latimes.com

DENVER -- When the Fort Collins police arrested James and Lisa Masters and carted away their 39 marijuana plants, they put the plants where they normally put confiscated property involved in alleged crimes: the evidence room.

And there they sat, without a grow lamp, water or pruning.

A year later, the case against the Masterses -- who claimed they used the drug for medical purposes -- fell apart, and a judge ordered the police to return their property.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-9-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Okay, now this case seems like a tricky one to me.

Even though it is entirely legal for medicinal purposes to use and grow a personal supply, how far can that envelope be pushed before it starts to become 'fishy'? These folks stretched the growth law by saying they were 'caregivers' for other medicinal users, growing nearly 40 plants. Because cops confiscated the crop and did not take care of them, it was destroyed. The judge ruled that the raid was illegal, and now the exonerated suspects want the department to pay for their destroyed crop, that had a value of $200k.

So I guess my question is, where does one draw the line on this? Doesn't $200k sound almost like a 'dealer' amount?

I actually completely sympathize with medicinal users personal rights on this, but when does it become a little more than this?

This could get complicated IMHO.

Incensed, the couple asked the Police Department to reimburse them $200,000 for the destroyed plants. City officials refused, and the Masterses are now considering a lawsuit to compel the northern Colorado city to compensate them.

Of the 12 states that have legalized marijuana for medical use, Colorado stands out for its law specifying that police must not "harm, neglect or destroy" seized plants in such cases, said Noah Mamber, legal services coordinator for Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
maybe the police should get pay a medicinal grower, to cut 39 clones and to root them for the suspect. It shouldnt be a big issue, the cops got it wrong, they should pay for the damaged goods.

And yes 200k is way too much, as if they where for medicinal then they havnt lost money, just time growing them.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by monkeybus]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeybus
maybe the police should get pay a medicinal grower, to cut 39 clones and to root them for the suspect. It shouldnt be a big issue, the cops got it wrong, they should pay for the damaged goods.

And yes 200k is way too much, as if they where for medicinal then they havnt lost money, just time growing them.

Time is money buddy, do u spend counless hours tending to something FOR FREE???? electricity used by the high pressure sodium lamps doesnt come free and there were 39 plants in all so thats a lot of electricity used. Not to mention the nutrients and water used to grow them. AND compensation for lawyer fees and mental stress seems go go into that value as well.

This is a groundbreaking case for all medical marijuana users because if ruled in favor of the masterses the government will be less hasty at raiding legal clinics RUN BY THE STATE because they violate federal law. seems like marijana is a giant cash crop for the feds because they allow these dispensories to provide clinical LEGAL pot, then say they violate federal law and raid these places, sometimes causing the state run clinic to go under!
I personaly do not think the 200,000 amount is rediculious at all when u consider the amount of COSTLY energy and manpower it takes to tend to 39 plants (that were the property of the individuals the masterses were caregivers too). So the payout is also compensating the other indivuduals that lost the plants tended to by the masterses. If the feds are going to raid a legal state run clinic they must be prepared for the consiquences: this one being that they let the plants die AND lost the case. police are supposed to enforce laws, and the law that was passed put them in the hotspot for a massive payout due to there neglect of the newly instituted law
Maybe next time they will think twice about the consiquences when raiding someone with legal documents allowing them to grow and use the substance

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by csuskatechem420

I dont think it cost them 200k to grow 39 plants, . and a person would not spend 200k on personal use.

Compensation for a laywer i understand, and compensation for the overall experiance also.

But 200k is too much, it was a simple mistake. and it must be diffcult weeding out the suppliers from the Legal people.

Dont blame me blame the system, you can't 'semi legalize' a drug an not expect things like this to happen

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
The cops have rooms full of weed they can just give them some.
There is some limit on medical use I think.
I thought you needed some permit or something for that though.

new topics

join