It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Art of Dying: Discussion on C2C- Amazing!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
So how many of you caught that discussion? What a fascinating program that was!

The gist of it is this:

A British neurologist has spent some number of years researching people as they are dying. What he found was startling- Almost all, regardless of religion experienced pretty much the exact same thing right as they died, or in the immediate day or two before they died-

1) They all got visits from deceased relatives, and many of the dying talked to "them" (the spirits) like they were there in the room (of course no one else could see them.) In fact, he noted that many die with their hands outstretched, as if embracing a loved one.

2) When asked to describe what they were seeing as they died, nearly all described the exact same thing: a beam of light that widened into something much bigger, and engulfed them in love, joy, and compassion.

3) Many of the dying described the spirits as very happy, even anxious for the dying to cross over.

4) Many experienced spirit visits, but were not ready to go yet, so the spirits would sometimes agree on when they would be back, and almost always in one or two days from that point. And every time they came back, exactly on time, and the dying would then cross over.

One incident was amazing to me. A son was at his mother's bedside when she died, with all the above occurring as usual. He had always believed that there was life after death, but yet his mother had always believed the opposite- that when you die, that's it.

Well, in the final seconds before she passed over, she looked at her son and said, "I'm sorry, but you were right all along," and then died.

That had to be one of the most interesting shows I have ever heard on C2C (Coast to Coast AM, for those that don't know what C2C means.) I must say, after listening to that show, I have found a certain peace within. It's almost as if I can relax now, knowing that there likely really IS some kind of afterlife, judging from this research.

The author of the book The Art of Dying (and the guest on C2C), is Peter Fenwick and he has written several other books with similar subject matter.

You can see them here:

www.amazon.com...=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=Peter%20Fenwick

More on Fenwick:

A neuropsychiatrist and fellow of the Royal College of Psychiatrists, Peter Fenwick is a leading clinical authority on near-death experiences. He has analyzed more than 300 of these life-altering events in the course of four decades of research and is highly regarded both by medical colleagues and by the media for his knowledge of this subject.

In 1996, Dr. Fenwick became a consulting neuropsychiatrist emeritus to the Epilepsy Unit at the Maudsley Hospital, which he ran for twenty years. He is also chairman of the Scientific and Medical Network, a group of doctors and scientists seeking to deepen understanding in science and medicine by fostering intuitive as well as rational insights. He has had a longstanding interest in brain function, the relationship of the mind and the brain, and the “problem” of consciousness. He has an extensive research record and has published over 200 papers in medical and scientific journals on brain function and also several papers on meditation and altered states of consciousness.

With over 240 papers in medical and scientific journals to his credit, Fenwick has also coauthored three popular books with his wife, Elizabeth Fenwick: The Truth in the Light (1997), Past Lives: An Investigation into Reincarnation Memories (1999), and The Hidden Door: Understanding and Controlling Dreams (1999).

[edit on 21-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Ive always felt that death is the vacation after a hard life of work.

I dont know why people fear death. Im afraid of any pain, sure, but dying in itself will be a very interesting experience.

Why do people fear death really? I cant come up with a good answer. Is it the unknown?

[edit on 21-9-2008 by Copernicus]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I had a conversation today about this with a friend who is rather involved in a Christian church. I expressed to him the concern I had about "evil" people. You know, people who are disposed to do really bad things like kill, maim, and rape. I didn't understand why they would get to see the same thing as good people.

Well, he promptly pointed out that even though we all may experience the same initial entrance, that that's as far as our living research can currently take us. What happens after that he said is where God and judgment will probably happen. I found that interesting and possible.

In my life I have always felt an embedded need to be a good person, and not to do evil or bad things. A need to tell the truth, rather than lies. It is no mistake that my moniker makes reference to that. I am proud of it. The truth has always gotten me much further and a whole lot more sleep than lies.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Spirits?
Does he go in depth to describe these entities

When you die your body releases vast amounts of '___' into your system
people who do '___' for spiritual purposes very often if not entirely talk of entities who are warm and loving and some say they are excited to see us but wonder why so soon.

Could '___' be the crossover tool for ascension past the mortal body?
To where we ascend i do not know

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I had 3 near death experiences very early in my life. And all were in conjuction with water. I'll tell you about my first, which took all fear of dying till this day 30 years later. I keep the story short. As I was struggling in the cold water, I didn't feel anything anymore. All I remember is hearing music and seeing white light. Thats all. The next thing I remembered is being pulled into a fishing boat. And then blackout till I warmed up and came out of shock.

Similar drowning accidents happened twice later. These 3 experiences happened between my age of 7 and 12.

What I do remember is during the struggles, even my body was fighting, my mind was at easy, feeling mellow. Somehow as if there is a fuse that shuts off everything.

Years later, these experiences made me come to the conclusion that it was just too early for me to die. That I still need to do something before they accept me on the otherside. Still not sure what it is. I'll keep looking.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Here is a recap from the show on the C2C website:

Death & Associated Phenomena
Ian spoke with neuropsychiatrist Dr. Peter Fenwick ([email protected]) about his work, The Art of Dying, which examines death and the dying process.

According to Fenwick, the dying receive visitations from deceased loved ones within the last two weeks of life. This experience is common among those who believe in afterlife experiences and those who do not, he said. As evidence, Fenwick shared an anecdote about a non-believing mother who received a visitation from her dead husband. Deathbed visions appear to be part of the death process itself, he explained. Fenwick also talked about how culture may influence the form of the person seen by those near death, noting that 25% of people in his UK study had their mothers or fathers come to 'collect' them.

Fenwick recounted a tale about a woman who kept her mother's clock in her garage. The clock stopped when the mother died, he said. Fenwick reported on other unusual phenomena associated with death, including deathbead coincidences, release of light energy, and strange animal behavior. He shared the story of Oscar the cat, as well as an account of a King Charles Spaniel that "howled like never before" when the mother of the family to whom he belonged died.

Fenwick also defined a 'good' death, which he said involves getting relationships right and at the end surrounding oneself with loved ones. In the final hour and a half, Fenwick spoke with callers about their experiences with death and death-related phenomena.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I suspect there is some substance to the idea of life after death, because to me it seems like we live in an information field made of energy, with enough bandwidth for our souls and more, indeed, for everything that exists.

That said I do want to bring up one caveat: these are dangerous times, us living on a planet heavily influenced by psychopathic murderous elites that want the land for themselves, with only a fraction of the current population to serve them. This being taken into account any positive renditions of death can be used by death cults in elite sponsored attempts to cull the population they see as their cattle.

Just because there might be an afterlife, something I am perfectly open to, even inclined to consider the most probable outcome, don't just piss your life away. We are all here to learn valuable lessons, imo the more the better, and our lives belong to nobody but ourselves. Let nobody tell you otherwise under the notion that death is something to be sought after.

Afterlife or not, death, in 99.99999999% of cases does seem to be a pretty final transition, phase change.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Intresting is that in my case, I never saw anybody on the otherside. Maybe because nobody was expecting me or waiting for me. I think if I a see anybody in my next near death experience, that might be the sign I wont survive it ?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benarius
Intresting is that in my case, I never saw anybody on the otherside. Maybe because nobody was expecting me or waiting for me. I think if I a see anybody in my next near death experience, that might be the sign I wont survive it ?

That's a very interesting point, and I have a hunch it may be true.

Edit: Also, I just remembered- Ian asked him if he ever had any accounts of demonic or bad spirits coming or being seen near death. He replied that never once has that happened- they've all been "good" experiences.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
With my next near death experience i did mean natural cause or just old age. Not hoping for accidents.
Also intresting I find I never had after these experinces any more contact with near death or any accidents. I feel that it caused me to become more alert of everything around me. I feel my sense have bcome heightend after that. Thou all drowning experiences had nothing to do with the general environment accidents mostly occur. It's almost like an inner voice or maybe guardian angel, though I like o beleive I am in controll my self, keeping me alive.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
When my mother died and got brought back she spoke to my dad and told me.He was already dead.
So I know there is something.
However here is another slant on things.
/3nks9u
Watch that movie that also deals with NDE's and how the people went to hell.
I don't know to be honest.
Id like to think more people go to heaven than hell.
If there is a heaven and hell.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I am so bummed I missed last nights show. Now that is a topic that would have had me all ears.

I have seen some rather astonishing last moments of life scenarios in my health care career.

It looks like I have a book to buy.

Thanks for the crib notes.

The hell scenarios are deeply disturbing and chilling. I heard of one guy who was rescusitated that spoke of miles and miles of naked people. And he wasn't happy about it. He then spoke nothing more of the matter.

[edit on 9/21/2008 by jpm1602]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

Thats some scary stuff. I don't beleive in heaven or hell. But I beleive if you can say about yourself you didn't do too much wrong in this life, you end up in a nicer place then if you didn't.. I beleive killing somebody doesn't take you to the same place as maybe have saved somebodys life. Don't know realy.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
I was very close to my mother days before she dies and spent a lot of time just being with her, even when she was unconscious. My sister and I figured she was talking with others because she would mumble and her face muscles would move as if she was thinking or in deep conversation with someone... It was an extremely interesting experience...

I have fully believed in life after death since she died.

I'm sorry I missed the program. It sounds great.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I've been studying about ndes and death bed visions for years on and off. These grass roots experiences mean more to me than organized religion.
My children's geat grandfather, very intelligent and an athiest who could speak over 8 languages had a significant nde experience and he became a United Church minister following the event, for the rest of his days. Not to mention a friend of mine who donated blood while he was on a healthy diet that cut out all sugar. He went into shock and died and had to be brought back. He said he went to a city of love that diminished enough from his memory so he wouldn't take chances with his life, as he wanted very much to return. He said it made the most beautiful place on earth appear as the slums of Calcutta.

www.pararesearchers.org...

In some cases, family members and friends at the death bed, also saw deceased relatives, friends, religious figures or angels.

paranormal.about.com...

Barrett found it curious that children quite often expressed surprise that the "angels" they saw in their dying moments did not have wings. If the deathbed vision is just a hallucination, wouldn't a child see an angel as it is most often depicted in art and literature - with large, white wings?

[edit on 21-9-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
My boss supported me at my Mothers funeral. As well as almost a hundred more from my large company.

When his father was dying two years later. He told Tibor to get the horses. And was speaking to those that had passed as if they were in his hospital room.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I have had too many death expieriances too mention.....not me personaly but people who were very very close to me. I will not go into detail as it is too hard to type or think about.

After that horrible event I sold and gave away everything I owned.....left the country, moved to the United States and tried to start again.

It was while I was living in the US that I had the good fortune of being treated by a VA pych and was able to place some things into perspective.

I believe I read every book available on death and dying.

I would have loved to hear C to C last night but I have moved back to Canada and i cannot get CtoC AM up here.

Never the less, I must say I love this thread.....very refreshing.

Remember to love others and be at peace. (even if you really mess up..forgive yourself and others)

Peace
WR

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Amen to that white raven. And I have many things to atone for. If there is heaven, I hope to get there some day.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Maybe having a pleasant NDE is just the mind, body or a subconscious coping mechanism to dull out pain and relax in your last moments?Perhaps when the body or mind thinks its going to die it dumps a whole lot of endorphins and such to relax?Even the days leading up to death the subconscious probably knows things are really bad and memories and stories of relatives flow through your mind in a kind of lucid state?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benarius

Perhaps that was because you were still a child, and you may not have learned to fear death as an adult does, and thus you didn't need a guide?

My .02

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join