It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awake Brain Surgery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Geez, I dunno if anyone saw this thing on CNN where they had this guy Connor's head cut open and they were mapping his brain in order to cut away a brain tumor. Pretty gnarly stuff in my opinion... Apparently the tumor was effecting his ability to read, and the doc has cut open his skull and was poking and probing (and he wasn't a gray alien). Anywayz, this Connor dude, was wide awake during the surgery reading a Sci-Fi novel. Man I would have been begging for a little something-something.. know what I mean???

Regards,

-map

[edit on 21-9-2008 by mapsurfer_]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:30 AM
link   
A lot of brain surgeries are performed while the patient is awake. The brain has no nerve endings, so it doesn't feel any pain. This lets the dr make sure that he isn't about to cut into something that you need.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
zaphod58 is right. the patient isn't left awake for the entire operation, they are medicated during the beginning and end of the surgery (when the skull is being opened and then closed). but often times they are left awake and tested, what zaphond58 is said is right on, they test them to make sure that nothing they've hit is in the wrong area. after the surgery, people are often given pain killers in order to dull any pain that is felt from where the entry site in the skull was opened. it's important to note that when i say cutting open the skull, i don't mean that a 3 inch by 3 inch square is being cut out, generally speaking, the opening is relatively small and it gets progressively smaller as newer and newer techniques become available.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
my mother went through it last year awake it was effecting her speech I dont know how much of the op she was awake for but she definatley said she was awake

Edit to add: I wouldnt laugh about when they operate on tumours its serious stuff them tumours can ruin lives even when removed.I know my life is difficult now

[edit on 9/21/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Seen it done. Has to be done that way. When they probe before vacuuming they have to make sure it doesn't take your piano lessons away.

The brain itself feels no pain during surgery.

Great farside comic I saw once. 'Hey Ben, look what happens when I do this'. Guys foot is sticking in the air.

top topics

join