It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost Armageddon: Markets were 500 Trades from a meltdown

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Almost Armageddon: Markets were 500 Trades from a meltdown

www.nypost.com

Had the Treasury and Fed not quickly stepped into the fray that morning with a quick $105 billion injection of liquidity, the Dow could have collapsed to the 8300-level (a 22%) decline!

Money market funds were inundated with $500 billion in sell orders prior to the opening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

=====
Mod Edit: All caps in Title fixed

[edit on 21/9/2008 by Badge01]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
What happens when we run out of injections?
Who pays for the bailouts and injections? The US taxpayers.

People we are on the brink of financial collapse.
It will happen before Nov. 5th.

The Bush Regime is driving the US economy into the ground.
Be prepared!

www.nypost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
As usual, Ron Paul was right:

There is no candidate like this man.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

At a rally I saw Ron Paul speak about how he would save big money: By bringing 99% of the US military personnel back into the US and close most bases. He wants the US military personnel to spend money living in the USA instead of where ever they are stationed. Cost cutting to the max!

I agree that this is what needs to be done.
On Nov 4th I am voting Ron Paul.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Definitions of ARMAGEDDON on the Web:

The final battle between the forces of good and evil, mentioned in Revelation 16:16. The word is a corruption of Har Megiddo, the Mount of Megiddo, near Tel Aviv, a place where many battles were fought ages ago. ...

The Cosmic Battle of the Ages

The last great battle between the forces of good and evil in the end times of the world. Often mixed up with the apocolypse. Recorded through the astral visions of John in the Book of Revelations.

Far from Armageddon
Please stop blowing things out of proportion
And is the all-caps title really necessary?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
At 7 minutes he mentions 130 countries and 700 bases. How did this happen ? Aren't these kind of expanditures decided in the house of representatives ? Doesn't the common folk vote these representatives ?
A clear case of stupidity of the folk. If you complain about whats happening in your country stop crying about it. Vote theses knuckleheads out of there and stop paying new elected people millions to run. Maybe a commoner with common sense, that does the job not for what it pays him is a better choice.

Why do people run for office ? My beleive is, just because it pays well.
Where are the people who want to run for office so they can do the right thing ? Stop hiding. Have the guts tospeak up. and when elected spread 50% of your income for a good cause. I'd vote for you again.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WERE_ALL_GONA_DIE

Definitions of ARMAGEDDON on the Web:

The final battle between the forces of good and evil, mentioned in Revelation 16:16. The word is a corruption of Har Megiddo, the Mount of Megiddo, near Tel Aviv, a place where many battles were fought ages ago. ...

The Cosmic Battle of the Ages

The last great battle between the forces of good and evil in the end times of the world. Often mixed up with the apocolypse. Recorded through the astral visions of John in the Book of Revelations.

Far from Armageddon
Please stop blowing things out of proportion
And is the all-caps title really necessary?

I am following the rules of ATS. The rules state we can only copy and paste news article headlines. That is how the article headline is written in caps: ALMOST ARMAGEDDON: MARKETS WERE 500 TRADES FROM A MELTDOWN"

Im just reporting a news article.... Im not blowing things out of proportion.... This is the real stuff.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
I'm far from an economics major but

1. Didn't the 87 crash hover around a 21% loss in a single day. Life went on though.

2. From other posts I've read there are apparently so called 'breakers' inline to prevent an all out crash.

I don't think ARMAGEDDON had a proper breakfast this past Friday morning.

brill

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:20 AM
link   
America should secure her own boarders and heath \ education of her own people before thinking about helping others..here in Britain if a person go's hungry in Africa the begging adverts are on the tv the same day begging for money..if a person go's hungry in Britain nobody cares...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It only delayed the inevitable.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
LOL-500 trades from armageddon? How does this lead to war?? Talk about fear-mongering and terror.

The market is 500 trades from collapse ANY GIVEN DAY depending on what is being traded/sold/liquidated LOL. This is hardly news.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Technically, I'm not sure the market could have dropped to the 8300 level.

See: NYSE CIRCUIT-BREAKER LEVELS

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Those circuit-breakers have some rules to them too. They don't work all the time.

If there is a 1200 point decline after 2pm, it cannot be stopped. If there is a 2400 point decline after 2pm, the markets close.

So techinally, a crash can happen.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
22% wouldn't surprise me. Russia hit 17 the other day. Booomerang baby. That's what happened the last time back in the late 20's.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Fear mongering at it's best. I like how people on ATS roll their eyes on war mongering, but when it comes to economics, they eat up the fear mongering.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Technically, I'm not sure the market could have dropped to the 8300 level.

See: NYSE CIRCUIT-BREAKER LEVELS

The NYSE no longer uses the Curbs system though, even though they still use some breakers like you linked

[edit on 21-9-2008 by yellowcard]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

As usual, Ron Paul was right:

I'm not even American but this guys bravery and insight is beyond belief. I find it very sad he's not in a position of more power, I would trust him whole heartedly.

And i'll say this outright. ANYONE who says bad things about this man is an absolute idiot. He's trying to save your country.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
I'm far from an economics major but

1. Didn't the 87 crash hover around a 21% loss in a single day. Life went on though.

2. From other posts I've read there are apparently so called 'breakers' inline to prevent an all out crash.

I don't think ARMAGEDDON had a proper breakfast this past Friday morning.

brill

The 87 crash wasn't coupled with the same debt we have today, and the printing of untold billions to bail out a massive company. So they're different circumstances.

This was my first opinion on this matter. Yay i'm learning after days of reading.

Tell me i'm I'm wrong, I want to learn

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:28 AM
link   
Too bad the financial Armageddon didn't happen. Then maybe everyone who has had their eyes closed (read: 95%) on America's current situation would wake up and look at the issues and their source. Afterall the mentality I have been seeing lately is. "It doesn't affect me, why should I care?" I bet this would make them care in less than a second.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

The thing about a circut breaker, is its a temporary release from reality.
As soon as the market reopens, its going to sink.

who would invest once it gets 'that bad'

new topics

top topics

join