It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veterinary Records: A "Back door?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
For your consideration:

Many of us own pets. THink about how much information we turn over to the vet as a part of owning that animal.

Most of it isn't any more than is publically availible (unless you've tried to adopt a pet!) but I wonder if this is some kine of a "back door" for data profilers.

People are of course leery when they are asked to turn over information abotu themselves, but it's a bit different when it's "for Fluffy's sake."

I suppose there is an assumption that what is said to the vet will stay in confidence, but who really knows? This could be the perfect "back door" to collect information on anyone who owns a pet.

Let's discuss.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I wouldn't trust any vet as far as I could throw him. They charge you hundreds of dollars for hardly anything because they know you'll pay. They require you to either pay up front, or leave a 50% deposit of what they think the bill will be, or they refuse to treat your animal.

For anyone who doesn't own a pet or has never been to the vet, see jasonjnelson's thread on how his vet literally shook him down for the money before treating his cat for a typical experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if any vet were complicit in data mining for cash because for them, it's all about the Benjamins.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Come to New Zealand. We have nice vets. Some have even let me pay off my cat's operations over a period of weeks.
They love my dogs as well, and constantly ask after them, with no agenda other than interest and a love for animals. I'm quite happy giving out personal information to them, I have had no problem, I don't think I'm a threat to 'the system' and have always received good treatment.
I'm sorry that your experience is negative.

I would say change vets,but I don't know how easy that is for you?

[edit on 21/9/08 by ChChKiwi]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I believe overall vets are a LOT nicer people than most human doctors. They don't go into that line of work for the prestige or the money. I have dealt with lots of vets, a few were bad but a few were truly excellent. My experiences with human doctors have been MUCH less satisfactory.

Regarding it being a "back door". No way. The scary thing about companion animal medicine is that it is NOT tracked. In the case of the pet food poisonings a couple of years ago thousands of animals were dying and there was NO WAY to notice it because the vets do not have a tracking method (well they probably do if it is something like rabies, but thats it).

Besides when it comes to personal information (smoking, drinking, sex, traveling, etc...) human doctors aska lot more questions than a vet ever would.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
after all the tax forms, census forms, medicare forms, drivers license, etc etc i'd be more worried about the fact my govt is going to my vet to find info on me.
if that were the case it'd make you wonder just how competent your govt really is, huh?

top topics

join