It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandatory Government Service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Had this idea about mandatory Government Service.
Basically, every citizen being required to serve a minimum amount of time in a certain office of Government, with promotions being based on a system of votes by peers and respective pertaining population. (The people represented by the official.)
The thought came form how ticked people I know are about Jury duty, oddly enough. Same folks then complain about trials, government, ect. No work done, these people may/may not vote.

This would allow a much wider number of folks to get involved in politics, probably make spin less of a issue, and may make it easier to get the right folks in, bad folks out.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I hate the idea of anything being "mandatory." Kind of stands in opposition to the word "freedom." I do think that it should be easier for the common man to get into office though. I say put the screws to campaign finance and lobby oversight rules. That would be the best place to start, by stopping the payoffs and unfair advantages.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

I was thinking more of mandatory military training like everyone going to boot camp and doing 2-4 years of serving in the reserves.
Serving regardless of gender or creed, but it would be determined by whether or not being psychologically fit and physical ability.
Of course I am expecting for some anti-draft people to come in here and start flaming me for saying this.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

The problem with that is that there are a lot of people who really are not cut out for military service. Not that they're nuts or anything even, just not cut out for it. I have a cousin who is very smart, but can't handle high-school even. I seriously doubt he would make it through basic, and would be the worse off for it.

There are other ways to serve too though.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have to pay a part of my earnings every April 15th as my mandatory service. The government can screw off when it comes to service, there are too many laws, fees, and taxes that have to be navigated for me to have the time and heart to do any public service.

new topics

top topics

join