It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Was Your Very First Conspiracy Theory?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I'm just curious to know what was the very first conspiracy theory you were exposed to.

I for one remember, as a kid in 4th or 5th grade (early 70's, whew), being exposed for the first time to the similarities and coincidences between the assasinations of Lincoln and Kennedy.

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln's secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatre.
Kennedy's secretary, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are comprised of fifteen letters

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

That stuff really blew my mind.

Then a few years later, as a teenager, hearing about the Procter and Gamble logo possibly being tied to Satan.

Whether you first got exposed as a kid, teenager or as an adult, I'm sure there is one that can be considered as the catalyst for what continues to this day.

What is the one conspiracy theory that got the ball rolling for you?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
My mum woke me up, the day princess diana died, and the first thing out of my mouth, was that she was murdered.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
What led me here today was 9/11. I connected the dots and sifted through all the dirt to find the true gold. It is very difficult to find the real truth behind things. There are many people trying to add in lies and disinformation to throw people off. Though i never thought i would ever come this far, this year for myself has truly been an awakening.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
lol probably the UFO conspiracy.

I seen one when I was 15 and that got me into the whole conspiracy/cover up theories.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
The first one was one that I had thought up myself.

Looking back, I see that it is a somewhat common theory, and some big names in the CT world share/advocate this theory.

The theory is that aliens are not aliens at all; they are humans from the future using a time travel technology to 'study' their early history as I originally thought of it, being a mere 11yrs old or so at the time. I wasnt aware at that time of the more sinister possibilities of their visits. I just had this firm feeling that the UFO's that are not secret man made craft of our era were human time travellers..

Fast forward a number of years. I watch Dan Burisch testimony that our government is in contact with a few different "alien races", all 2 or 3 of which are future humans who are using a time travel technology. He of course swears that hes seen them, worked on/with the equipment used when involving them, etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   

A month before Lincoln was assassinated he was in Monroe, Maryland
A month before Kennedy was assassinated he was in Marilyn Monroe

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My first conspiracy theory:

I knew the other sperm were plotting against me.
I was right too!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ahhh, my very first exposure to the world of conspiracies would have started in Grade School. My library had a book on UFO's which I read to my hearts content, and my habits of them have developed outwards.

UFO's, then after 9-11, I had my heart set on being a truther, but couldn't convince myself to speak out too much.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
JFK's assassination was the first conspiracy theory I was exposed to.

My mom heard the news on the car radio that the president had been shot in Dallas and she went into labor. I was born the next day, Nov. 23, 1963. From what I understand, almost the entire nation and much of the rest of the world went into mourning on my birthday. I don't remember any of it, thankfully.

In my junior high years, I do recall having an avid if not morbid (some might say) interest in conspiracy theories about Jack (and later Bobby) Kennedy and their murders. To this day, I still believe neither Oswald nor Sirhan acted alone. Then there was the *suicide* of Marilyn Monroe, which was more than likely murder, and the assassination of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and the death of Elvis Presley, and yes, I truly believe Elvis has left the building (and this planet) despite the reports of Elvis 'sightings.'

Great question, thanks for asking

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Like all British school kids, the very first conspiracy theory I encountered was the contents of the school dinners, and the legend of "the mange", the British equivalent of "Cooties".

Was the Mange real, and what were the government putting in the dinners?

To this day the truth eludes....

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As a kid, I read about the government's explanations of the incident in Roswell and thought "bull****."

[edit on 21-9-2008 by SamuraiDrifter]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Probably 9/11. I was only 11 but I just knew something wasn't quite right about it.

That lead me here and sparked off my fascination with all the great conspiracies we discuss here.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Well, my first influence had to be my Dad. He was the most laid back, non-conspiratorial guy you'd ever want to meet yet he was fascinated with the UFO mags so prevalent in the 70's. I remember growing up watching him read them and then getting into them myself. That was followed by the Bermuda Triangle for which I did a report in grade school and then Bigfoot, the Loch Ness monster, and similar creatures. The old "In Search Of" TV series that Leonard Nimoy used to narrate gained my interest in many things as well. In fact, that show was how I first heard of Nostradamus.

Into adulthood, I became interested in Marilyn Monroe's death even going so far as to read a whole book on the subject. This, of course, led to curiosity about JFK. Then I started watching the Game Show Network (now GSN) on cable and was introduced to Dorothy Kilgallon from the original "What's My Line?" When I found out the mysterious surroundings of her death and her link to the JFK investigation, I researched her life and did quite a bit of reading about what she was looking into before her death.

These days, I seem to be back to my original "love" of UFOs and siimilar subject matter. Life does have a way of cyclinig around.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
In grade school I was always more into paranormal stuff versus conspiracies.
But the first one for me, was Area 51/ Roswell incident.
It escalated from there to Government, NWO... etc...
and led me to write this...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I came to conspiracies through folklore and what is probably best described as 'Forteana'. Like a lot of British people of a certain age, three big influences were the 1970s Reader's Digest 'Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain', the 'Unexplained' part-work/magazine series and Arthur C. Clarke's 'Mysterious World' television series which both came out around 1980.

In terms of conspiracy as in cover-ups - aside from the more general UFO thing - the first specific alleged 'cover-up' I read about was in the mid to late 1970s: 'the monster of Glamis Castle'.

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro

Abraham Lincoln was elected to Congress in 1846.
John F. Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.

Abraham Lincoln was elected President in 1860.
John F. Kennedy was elected President in 1960.

The names Lincoln and Kennedy each contain seven letters.

Both were particularly concerned with civil rights.

Both wives lost their children while living in the White House.

Both Presidents were shot on a Friday.

Both were shot in the head.

Lincoln's secretary, Kennedy, warned him not to go to the theatre.
Kennedy's secretary, Lincoln, warned him not to go to Dallas.

Both were assassinated by Southerners.

Both were succeeded by Southerners.

Both successors were named Johnson.

Andrew Johnson, who succeeded Lincoln, was born in 1808.
Lyndon Johnson, who succeeded Kennedy, was born in 1908.

John Wilkes Booth was born in 1839.
Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939.

Both assassins were known by their three names.

Both names are comprised of fifteen letters

Booth ran from the theater and was caught in a warehouse.
Oswald ran from a warehouse and was caught in a theater.

Booth and Oswald were assassinated before their trials.

Are these facts? Really??

That's amazing!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I guess it would be JFK. Although I certainly didn't know then what I know now about it, not even close. Just never really thought the explanation given was very good.

But I think overall I learned just from the nature of people. You can see smaller "conspiracies" in people. It's in our nature to cover up our mistakes, or hide ignorances and then try to "fix" them. I seen it a lot in the military. Nothing that would be like news worthy or life changing, just the small things we do.

I cover up things in my work. I'll find a bug or error in my programming, and I'll be more likely to fix it and not tell anyone. Who really cares anyway, and it's not like my job would be in danger.

I never buy an official story. I know right away that an official story has been spun to put the people who wrote it in the best light always. If you are telling your story, do you generally do anything different than that?

If you told your entire life story, would there be things in that life that you'd probably rather not mention? Would you deny they happened? What amount of evidence would make you admit to it?

But it comes with a price. If you leave out part of a story about you walking into an ally at night and don't want to talk about, don't be surprised when someone thinks you were blowing someone behind the dumpster for a fix.

So when it comes to conspiracies, I figure I don't know the entire truth, but I know the story you gave doesn't make sense. And it sure does look like your were blowing someone behind the dumpster for a fix. If thats not the case, you are welcome to prove me wrong. It's your secrecy behind the event that leaves room for probable assumptions.

What did adam and eve do when they realized they were naked? Tried to hide it.

Human nature.

[edit on 28-10-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
For me the first conspiracies I was exposed to were the theories of Eric Van Daniken. I was about 11 at the time but it started my love for all things conspiracy. I still have a report I did in the 9th grade about Roswell. I got a B+ but my teacher wrote in the margins in red pen "it was a weather balloon"!

posted on Oct, 28 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The first things I would imagine everyone heard of would be UFOs/Area 51 and maybe some government scandals such as Watergate or IranContra.

The thing that led me to this website was when I was 14 or 15 and playing Metal Gear: Solid for the Playstation. It was my first exposure to the truth that there are different government agencies behind the scenes with things such as black projects concerning unreleased technologies. Did a search on teh interwebs and found this website when it was still just an archive of pretty much everything I was looking for at the time. And now I'm the cynical bastard I am today!

new topics

top topics

join