It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JFK's sniper's rifle

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
NorthWolf,

My Mosin is a fairly nice 91/30 type with 24" barrel and retroffited cruciform "sks" style folding bayonet.
Editted to add: Where finances and availabillity allow I tend to pattern alot of my choices in firepower off of the finn's... I prefer the PPSH 41 to the Suomi though lol... but that's a matter of the frightening power the Tokarev round packs.

Now onto the whole lefty shooter thing... you can learn tricks to make yourself just as quick even firing lefty. I know this as I am a lefty.

This is not to say I believe the official story. It's just to be fair people need to realize that there's a reason why the Oswald theory shouldn't be totally discounted.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by roguetechie]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by DeltaNine

Bias towards the conspiracy angle, as it should be, because its considered by many as one of the biggest conspiracies in our history.

Very seldom do we see a show or doc. on the Kennedy Assassination that portrays both sides of the coin evenly. Its usually focused on 'for or against' the conspiracy, not both.

I believe I have seen maybe two shows that argued both sides evenly, just presenting the evidence and lack there of. I found both shows very informative and easy to watch.

In relation to the above, there has been a few ATS threads on JFK that meet the above mentioned criteria, having both sides post there arguments, thus giving much to think about.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
If you go there to Dallas it will change your mind. The 6th floor window to the poink JFK started getting shot is pretty damn close. Plus a miss is normal since he had to adjust fire from a elevated point. He walked the rounds up into JFKs head. He was a good shot, but no sniper. The film footage makes the area look big. If you go there you will see how compact the area is.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The Whole incident can be debated either way very effectivelly. However I'm personally inclined to believe Oswald wasn't the only shooter/was a flat out patsy. There is too much gray surrounding it for me to believe any other way.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Ranger, If I am not mistaken the Moisin Nagant rifles that were of Russian and American manufacture were not made in Finn land but were captured and kept after an invasion by Russians. The type that you have described saw a lot of use as a sniper rifle in Northern I Corp when I was in Vietnam but I never saw one with a folding bayonet but it doesn't surprise me. I bought a full size model when I was thirteen for $9.88 and it was new and in new condition. My parents were surprised when I brought it home. I got it at Sears about 2 blocks from the Texas Theater where Oswald captured.

[edit on 31/08/2008 by hypervigilant]

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hyper I am aware that my rifle was not MADE by the finns however they are responsible for the remarkable accurizing job it recieved way back when. And you are correct the folding bayoneted mosin is the m44 however with much time and patience I retrofitted an sks style spike bayonet to the weapon.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Yes they were accurate enough to walk off with the 1,000 meter shooting competition at the 59 or 60 winter Olympics. It will really reach on out and more than touch someone, for sure.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Which is why I bought one to start with... the gun is capable of accurate fire to distances I cannot fire accuratelly. I wonder about people that buy sub moa super guns but can barelly reliably bullseye a hundred yard target.

posted on Sep, 27 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
In regards to The Rifle that was found by a Dallas police officer at the sixth floor window. It was described as a bolt action Mauser and the cop that gave the description worked in the gun department of Jay's Hardware Store on Singleton Blvd. in Dallas, the highest volume gun dealer in the city at that time. I was told by some old shooting buddies that there was no way that he would have mistaken a Mauser for a Carcano. I was listening to a radio when this was reported not long before the announcement that the President was dead. Some how the Carcano and 3 empty shell cases that appeared to have been sat in place were later found by Feds and was said to been missed by the first to arrive. There are so many stories and opinions for a reason, some that warrant investigation and other that don't. New books, speculations and theories will keep popping up to just add to the confusion, while those that perpetrated this attack are still doing what they have always done, and that is to commit more acts of high treason against the citizens of the world in quest of a new world order. If anyone ever gets a direct hit on the true story, it will just be ignored and dismissed as just another theory. In, fact it possibly has already.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
If you can, go to Dallas and see where it went down. Very easy shot even with a crappy rifle. The miss is normal, as he had to adjust from a elevated location. The rest of the rounds he just walked up into JFKs noggin. It did not help JFK that the car never sped up. The whole thing to me looks more like the Secret Service spent too much time drinking and chasing ass the night before. Could Oswald pull it off.....Yes, no doubt at all. Did he? We will never know. Ruby made sure of that.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Oswald shot Kennedy at a range of just 175 to 265 feet (81 m), which is point blank for a rifle shot. I would have stood a fair chance of hitting him at least once with a pistol at that range, but with a scoped rifle in the hands of a man who had previously earned a "Sharpshooter" rating in the military - forget about it.

This photo gives you a good perspective of the distance involved.

en.wikipedia.org...:Elm_from_6th_fl.jpg

The FBI tested the rifle and declared it capable of putting all its rounds 2 1/2 to 5 inches (130 mm) high, within a 3 to 5-inch (130 mm) circle at 100 yards.

Of all the conspiracy theories out there though, I think that this one has the most credibility, because I sincerely believe that there was a second shooter behing the fence on the grassy knoll, and that he was wearing a police officers uniform. There is now some photographic evidence to that effect.

Then there is a the sworn testimony of an army marksman who was approched for a special sniper mission shortly before the shooting, a mission he turned down. A colleague who signed up for this mission was never heard from again.

There's definitely more to this one.

[edit on 17-10-2008 by Retseh]

posted on Jan, 29 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Seems like there are a lot of good shooters here. I guess my question is this, if it is indeed possible to fire the shots in that time frame, is it also probable? Especially considering that the first shot missed (which most snipers seem to agree is the most accurate shot you can take) and that the scope was supposedly defective?

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I have proof there was a second gunman. Check out this eyewitness testimony ...

[edit on 10-11-2009 by dallasroofer]

[edit on 10-11-2009 by dallasroofer]

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

I agree. Plus, Oswald was a mediocre shot by Marine Corps standards. We all know there was likely a second or possibly even a third gunman.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

So it's possible? Wouldn't it have been better for Oswald to use something along the lines of a Sprinfield M19103A4? The CIA had those with silencers around the time of the JFK murder.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   

So it's possible? Wouldn't it have been better for Oswald to use something along the lines of a Sprinfield M19103A4? The CIA had those with silencers around the time of the JFK murder.

posted on Nov, 10 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Ranger23

No, it is not possible to make those shots, with that particular piece of crap rifle.

The Mannlicher Carcano was known as an unreliable rifle, due to it's make up of being a metal barrel with a wooden frame, the nature of the rifle itself was that the reciever was sloppy due to the slipshod manufacturing.

Quote from : Wikipedia : Mannlicher Carcano

6.5x52mm Carcano or 6.5x52mm Mannlicher-Carcano is an Italian military 6.77 mm (.266/67 cal.) rimless bottle-necked rifle cartridge, developed from 1889-1891 and used in the Carcano 1891 rifle and many of its successors.

A common synonym in US gun literature is "6.5mm Italian".

In US parlance, "Carcano" is frequently added to better distinguish it from the rimmed hunting cartridge 6.5x52mmR (US version: .25-35 Winchester).

Ballistically, its performance is very similar to that of the 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schönauer.

Any gun enthusiast worth their salt, ones that have actually held that model in their hands, can tell you that.

I suggest that anyone who wants to know a real experts opinion read the following book :

Kill Zone : A Sniper Looks at Dealey Plaza

[edit on 11-11-2009 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dallasroofer

The Carcano has a significantly less recoil than other "full powered" military rifles of the era, which makes it ideal for quick followup shots.

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonestar24

That's a good point. I didn't know that about the Italian rifle. What kind of round would typically be used with that rifle? Also, since the Springfield rifles the CIA used had silencers, wouldn't that have been a better choice for a shot from the roof? Especially IF indeed Oswald was a plant?

By the way, here's the latest cowboy conspiracy YouTube LINK

posted on Nov, 11 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by SpartanKingLeonidas

Thanks for the support. Here's the latest YouTube video evidence.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join