It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain bangs up youth for visiting the wrong places on the Web

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

I highly doubt the article of a few paragraphs represents what was presented to the Court. How can you judge the Court based on so little information?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

My mistake, I apologize... although i still think it's very misleading... i know they are not your words.

It's like you may be arrested for visiting a cannabis site or a site on absinthe if it's illegal in your country,strange headline indeed...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
if this is the precedence to be set,then all who conspire to harm others with weaponry must be held accountable for their actions,including the politicians who conive to use war as a political tool as they have done for millenia.

we see russia going to war with chechnya a decade ago for one reason only , to gain votes.a million people dead.
we see sudan arming and directing the janjaweed militia,armed with chinese weapons and even trained by them,mass genocide is occuring and not ONE person will be held accountable for it.
when the un tried to act,russia and china constantly veto any actions.
the list of events such as this is endless,truely endless.

so this lad is small game, he is irrelvant .the real problem is the powerbrokers at the top who wage war for ideological and political reasons.
such powerbrokers exist in the high echelons of all our socities ,it is they who cause the climate in which such young people are lead astray.

stepping on the pawns is useless ,it wont change a single thing.those who are the real problems are untouchable , they can do whatever they want and noone has ever done a thing about it.
as long as they are untouchable and held unaccountable things will never get better.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

My mistake, I apologize... although i still think it's very misleading... i know they are not your words.

It's like you may be arrested for visiting a cannabis site or a site on absinthe if it's illegal in your country,strange headline indeed...

I know mate, thats what drew me to the article in the first place, was thinking something along the lines of one of the conspiracy sites or here maybe lol.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

yeah man.... they are probably compiling a list and have been for a while.
I guess if anyone here at ATS was threatening to do something or was making plots or plans against the government or 3-letter agencies, they would soon hear a knock at the door..

Who knows.....

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Send him back to where his ancestors came from and see if he likes living there instead of the UK. Since it seems that he doesn't like where is living right now. Deport them all.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Brothers

Thats not very nice, its not all of them that causes these problems so I dont think they should all be tared with the same brush.
Though those that are likely to cause problems or are the 'Extremist' should find a home elsewhere.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Sorry if this has already been said but....

Won't locking him away just make him more "pissed" at the westen world?

All they can do in prison is pent up thier anger.

Best just kill em all, that'll solve the problem

Seriuosly though, my points is...where does it stop??!!? Can't keep locking up EVERYONE for having an extremist thoughts and views. That certainly won't cure their hatred.

Cheers

AoN

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I believe its precrime at its finest. No one complains until it affects them.
When you start getting your house searched for no reason you might
speak up then.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't know the laws of Great Britain.

I've got some problems with this case. If you can be charged with terrorism from web searches, then there are probably many people on this site that could be charged with any number of crimes from treason down.

Storage of information is not the same as acting on the information. If I have information on "how to built a nuclear bomb" on my computer; does that make me a nuclear terrorist in GB?

I also understand he was around other people of interest. Again, association doesn't mean action. If I'm at a family party and everyone is drinking, does that make me an alcoholic or gives the police the reason to stop me for a sobriety check?

Like I stated, I have a few problems with this.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
What a load of crap these laws and the application of these laws are!

Anyone that is not worried about the implications of this story needs to think more about it all!

And you can be pretty sure that someone who was most likely just going through the process of growing up and understanding their world will now most likely come out of the 2 years youth detention with a serious basis for being extremely radicalised.

Yeah, at 16 the best thing is to be taken from your family and friends, institutionalised, have your education disrupted and have a criminal record for the rest of your life.

Bravo to the Brits for this one, along with the out of control revenue raising councils snooping on everything and everyone!

And anyone can trawl a PC these days and cut and paste whatever they like from your emails, cached files, temp files, fictional ebooks, diary entries, poetry, photos, music, videos, dream journal and come up with enough evidence for whatever they want to charge you with! And you won't even get access to your own PC after they take it so you can't refute whatever fabricated garbage they charge you with!

Noone is immune from these laws, noone is safe from these laws, everyone is a suspect, always!

Where is our moral compass? NATO troops daily murder WOMEN, CHILDREN and FAMILIES in Afganistan and Iraq with no consequence! How in the hell could anyone make sense of this when growing up these days!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
That makes no sense to me why the sent him in jail. If the authorities are syaing that he was influenced easily...well what do you think is going to happen to this kid in jail. He is a child and putting him in prison at such a young age is only going to make things worse. I know young white males who own 'The anarchist cookbook' but are they in jail no. Seems to me they got carried away instead of finding a better way.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I also understand he was around other people of interest. Again, association doesn't mean action. If I'm at a family party and everyone is drinking, does that make me an alcoholic or gives the police the reason to stop me for a sobriety check?

that's not really the same though is it... for your analogy to work, you'd have to have spent hours on alcohol websites and forums, have how-to brewing guides, declare yourself an alcoholic, mix with a load of alcoholics, talk to people about smuggling alcohol, arrange to attend beer festivals abroad, and be prepared to die for a pint lol

so yeah i'd probably say that was reason to believe you were at least an alcohol drinker.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
www.channel4.com...

Channel four explains the situation clearly I think.The folly of youth makes young people like this more likely to be placed in situations where they act out extremist acts.However,if you were in government what else would you do?A slap on the wrist?Two years in a young offenders institute(not adult prison)seems appropriate in my opinion.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
but they do not declare themselves jihadists and seek help in smuggling weapons online.

I would not think the real terror organizations would need help to smuggle weapons. The UK receives plenty of heroin, which primarily comes from Afghanistan originally. If drugs can be smuggled in mass, it would not be that difficult to smuggle guns as well.

The real terrorists simply send an explosives expert over when they need work done. Though it does seem like the U.K. bred version are not so adept. Remember the second string of train bombings did NOT detonate, one can only assume that the visiting explosives expert trained them and then went home, and somehow the British born jihadists forgot a few steps in their lessons. Either that or they tried to learn the art online.

Regardless it was pretty incompetent, and for some downright embarrassing. I would bet some of the real terrorist groups distanced themselves from those boys after that.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by primamateria

I 10000% agree on that, the implications of this case (story) are actualy huge, i have been freaking out about this sort of situatioin for ages now, not because i have anything to worry about, but due to the increasing strangle hold of the uk government and the broadening of the term "terrorist".

its set a president, that even just looking at the wrong things on your pc makes you a terrorist, and can be tried as one in court! This will esculate, more and more things will become terrorist activities. Personaly, i think drug users will be next as the uk government has already made a link puiblicly to drug users being funders of terrorists.

In the future, i could see alot of things being classed as terrorist activities, and i know i dont want to be arrested and locked up for 2 years for funing terrorists when all ive done is smoke some weed!.

EDIT ! - almost forgot, their was a post about this story when it broke which i posted on. its here www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 21-9-2008 by boaby_phet]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Why not court order psychiatric therapy? He's a long way from being a lost cause so early on.

Ya lets lock the kid up for even thinking about being a terrorist. Give him a couple years in there to really build up a good hate for his country and then let him out, that'll teach him

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE
Ya lets lock the kid up for even thinking about being a terrorist. Give him a couple years in there to really build up a good hate for his country and then let him out, that'll teach him

Well the kid was downloading plans for making bombs, and also trying to organize a trip to Pakistan for military training. In all likelihood two years in jail will give him time to cool his heals. It also sends a message to other families that they need to pay attention to what their kids are doing.

I don't think a two year sentence is excessive.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Well the kid was downloading plans for making bombs, and also trying to organize a trip to Pakistan for military training. In all likelihood two years in jail will give him time to cool his heals. It also sends a message to other families that they need to pay attention to what their kids are doing.

I don't think a two year sentence is excessive.

I never said it was, he doesn't need any jail time at all. You really think this kid is going to ponder how to be a better person in his cell? If anything it's going to further isolate him from society and turn him into even more of an extremist.

He needs help and guidance, not a reason to make more bombs.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Convicting based on just possession of knowledge seems a bit harsh.

They ought to allow entrapment to act as evidence in court (only in terror cases). They should get infiltrators to see if they can "recruit" the suspect into a bombing raid... except on the day when he shows up to conduct what he thinks is an act of terror, he is captured by the police and then put before a trial.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join