It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Britain bangs up youth for visiting the wrong places on the Web

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Britain bangs up youth for visiting the wrong places on the Web

www.theinquirer.net

BRITAIN HAS SET a new record by convicting the youngest person ever under the UK Terrorism Act to two years in a youth prison.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Seems kind of harsh tbh but then again I guess some have to start somewhere if thats what he was doing. Glad no one can see what I have on my PC though I would like to add its nothing to do with Islam and the Jihad etc.

Guess its a sign of our times...

www.theinquirer.net

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. Nip this terror training in the bud. I am glad they prosecuted the adults who where influencing him as well.

Many folks have military manuals and improvised weaponry manuals saved on their computers, but they do not declare themselves jihadists and seek help in smuggling weapons online.

[edit on 9-20-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller

Glad no one can see what I have on my PC though I would like to add its nothing to do with Islam and the Jihad etc.

Guess its a sign of our times...

www.theinquirer.net

They know where you and your PC go all the time.

I must admit though, it is a little scary, knowing that the filth can bust down your door and lock you up just for 'knowing' things.

I know how to make a bomb. It isn't difficult.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Yes it is a sign of our times.............but not the way you put it, I think his own family hit the nail on the head with this quote.

"His family backed the sentence, but said the case showed how easily a teenager could be groomed. "

Most teenagers in the UK if caught with a knife get a second and third chance before they face going down, so I would suspect this lad was unfortunately on the way to becoming a threat to the public in a much larger way than a knife wielding youth could be.

WA

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wolfie_UK
Yes it is a sign of our times.............but not the way you put it, I think his own family hit the nail on the head with this quote.

"His family backed the sentence, but said the case showed how easily a teenager could be groomed. "

Most teenagers in the UK if caught with a knife get a second and third chance before they face going down, so I would suspect this lad was unfortunately on the way to becoming a threat to the public in a much larger way than a knife wielding youth could be.

WA

Hey Mate,

Thats what I was refering to. Makes a change for them to actually do something about pinching this in the bud and not slapping his wrists that seems to happen way too much here at the moment. On reflection of my remark about it being harsh, He got what he deserved...period but hopefully this will also send a message out the little gits that think they are untouchable.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by StarTraveller]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
What a load. If you tried to arrest every teenager who had ever looked at the Anarchist's Cookbook at one of the 1000s of sites with one or more (probably wrong) versions of it, it would be tens of thousands of people. Head on over to the survival board, there are posters there who ten times know more about weapons making and armed combat than this kid ever will. I personally know people who have made makeshift napalm and match-head grenades, own or have access to all sorts of firearms, and espouse what Britain may term "radical" ideology. These are young middle class whites, are they terrorists too?

SAVE US OH GREAT GOVERNMENT FROM THE MUSLIM TERRRRRRRISTS!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
what he is saying is true, I once had a fascination with learning all sorts of silly sh...

lol,then I grew up and realized the anarchists cookbook couldn't defend me against the cops let alone an army

this is very grey to me... I think they should have to establish intent no?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mopusvindictus

They DID establish intent. He sought help in smuggling weapons through airport security. He declared himself to be a jihadist online and to his cohorts.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EtSolveMundi

He did not just collect information. He sought out ways to act upon it and declared himself to be a jihadist. Get the story right.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have to say anyone prepared to declare themself a Jihadist should also be prepared to be held accountable for their actions. We have enough illegal weapons in the UK as it stands thanks very much.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What I found the most intriguing is that Munshi's grandfather is a well-known Islamic scholar.

It's strange and more than a little sad that someone who is obviously well-versed in Islam, and whose views are obviously respected amongst the Muslim community, wasn't more of an influence than two idiots on Munshi. Now, to an extent, most teenagers are easy prey to older, forceful personalities, but it doesn't say much for Munshi if he was still influenced despite his grandfather's standing.

I bet the grandfather feels especially bad about this. Imagine being a respected scholar in a particular field and a member of your family would rather take up a stranger's ideas on the internet than yours. That's a kind of helplessness I wouldn't want to experience.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Totally Agree with that mate, and you have some very valid points

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

Your thread title is very misleading.... was that your intention?

Possibly better would have been "Britain bangs up potential terrorist" or something to that effect?

[edit on 20-9-2008 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
How could they actually prove he was planning to carry out terror attacks from this information?
They must have surely had more evidence that isn't disclosed in the article.
They couldnt send someone to prison for 2 years just for the things listed in the article.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by StarTraveller

16 is not a child. His Parents approved of the sentence. He was keeping notes on becoming a Martyr. He wanted to go and train to be a Terrorist.

Seems pretty cut an dried. Arresting him may have saved his life and given his family a second chance to save him from himself and maybe save others from him. A 16 year old is just as deadly as any other adult male and is hardly a child.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

If the laws in Great Britain are similar to the US, just the act of planning a crime is prosecutable. It is assumed if you are planning to do something you intend to do it. It makes perfect sense to arrest someone before they kill rather than wait until they actually kill.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by Interestinggg

If the laws in Great Britain are similar to the US, just the act of planning a crime is prosecutable. It is assumed if you are planning to do something you intend to do it. It makes perfect sense to arrest someone before they kill rather than wait until they actually kill.

Yes, but to prove that he actually was indeed planning this crime.
And not just messing about, they would need more incriminating evidence than is listed in this article.
Which no doubt they did and isn't disclosed.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Looks like what "Minority Report" portraits is becomming everyday law. Maybe an alectric collar that measures bad brain activity could zap you into the right mind set.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Hey mate, Just quoted the headline of the news article, I never actually called it that.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join