It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IMPORTANT: ATS Chat & BelowTopSecret.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I'd like to remind all our members of this warning that appears below the chat application:

Members must be aware that all normal AboveTopSecret.com Terms & Conditions apply within chat, and, our moderation staff will be much more strict with T&C infractions within the real-time environment of chat. Violations of our Terms & Conditions within chat may result in immediate and permanent removal of chat priveledges and depending on the seriousness of the infraction, immedate account termination.

(Emphasis mine.)

We recently banned a couple members for vulgar and highly sexually-explicit postings in chat. As indicated, if you're observed breaking our Terms & Conditions within the chat environment, you may be permanently banned without warning or recourse.

Additionally, our staff have observed an unfortunate decline in the overall environment in several areas of BelowTopSecret.com that appears to reflect the recent rise in vulgarities and sexual discussions in ATS Chat. BelowTopSecret.com was established as an "off-topic" environment for ATS members to discuss topics that are general interest, and unrelated to those of AboveTopSecret.com. It is not intended as a free-for-all environment and is still subject to all the Terms & Conditions that apply to AboveTopSecret.com.

Consider that this thread is fair warning that we will expect our members to behave appropriate within the forums of BelowTopSecret.com.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
One small addition...

This admonition also extends to "Member Profile Comments." A member's profile isn't a repository for explicit videos, profanity, salacious innuendo or insults. All members are responsible for what they put on their own profiles, including URL's and should either report or delete any unsavory commentary left by other members.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I have never seen my profile and do not know what is on there. Now I better go look and see just to make sure nobody has put some profanities on me.

Ok I checked and I do not have comments enabled. I guess that is a good thing. Now I will not be libel for what others put there.

[edit on 9-20-2008 by groingrinder]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

You probably noticed this:

Comments
comment thread link

(This user has not launched a comments section)

Unless you the member activate your profile, there is no need for concern as no comments can be posted. This is a built in feature that prevents a member being an unwitting victim of "shenanigans."

Members who do launch a comments section will receive a U2U when someone posts to their profile comments section.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Since signing up with ATS, I've always been a huge fan of the BTS forums and the discussion that one can find there. So many forums and so many topics to discuss with some of the greatest members a board could ever ask for. When one burns out from the 9/11, WoT, politics, etc., it is very relaxing to tackle some sports, music, and movies.. all the while remaining on the board and interacting with our online friends.

But as of late I too must express my disdain for what we're seeing more and more of on BTS.

I'm only a young guy and I'm far from a prude. But I can not grasp why we are so inclined to talk about our sex lives in such an immature manner at times. The topic itself is not the problem. It's the glorification of such a topic and the banging of elbows that I'm seeing. When I was in grade school and I was bragging to my friends about the girl I was with the night before.. this analogy seems to encompass much of what is found on BTS as of late.

Truth be told... I really don't like it.

BTS is a more relaxed environment than we see on ATS. But it is still an environment for intelligent discussion on various topics.

With a collaborative effort among members, I think BTS can be a board to be proud of once again.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
So there is where all everything is happening hum. . . that is why I never liked live chats.

You can learn a lot by the way some behave on some of the busiest chats in the net.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I hope none of my CHAT friends were banned.

I will do my best to behave.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Now on the other side of the coin I would hope that while it is understood that chat does carry with it the same terms and conditions that ATS does. That it is a chat room and as such perhaps a more soft handed approach to its moderation does need to be expressed.

While I am sure that the bannings that did occur were done because of a blatant violation of the terms and conditions, and were more than likely well justified. I have also seen the rather overly heavy handed abuse by some moderators in chat. As so far as to be called bullying. This should NOT be condoned at all either.

perhaps a happy medium where the Terms and Conditions are paramount, yet the membership should not fear a red colored name entering chat.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The membership shouldn't fear the moderation staff. If you think an action was unreasonable or bullying please file a complaint.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Fear isn't the issue, more raging anger when I see a moderator overstep their bounds. Wukky don't like bullies.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Then feel free to always use the complaint feature,

We only want to better the chat experience for our members and to achive that we have to do whats best..

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by kinglizard

Fear isn't the issue, more raging anger when I see a moderator overstep their bounds. Wukky don't like bullies.

That goes exactly back to what Kinglizard pointed out. If for ANY reason you feel a member of the staff has overstepped his or her bounds by all means file a complaint. When you file a complaint it goes right to a special forum where the entire staff including admin and the site owners (Skeptic Overlord, Simon Grey, and Springer) can all weight in on the issue at hand.

We are a voluneteer staff but we also are accountable for our actions here on the board as staff as well as members.

[edit on 9/20/08 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I don't know if I have been banned for life or if I am banned at all, so, if I am, is there a way you could notify of infractions to this nature?
I know it says "With out warning or notification" but it does seem odd that I would be banned, "I haven't done nothing "Too" bad, I don't think?"

new topics

top topics

join