It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army Alters Photographs, Issues Them To AP

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Army Alters Photographs, Issues Them To AP

www.cjr.org

The Associated Press retracted two government-issued photographs last night after a photographer in Texas alerted the agency that the photos in question appeared to be doctored.

Bob Owen, chief photographer of the San Antonio Express-News, notified the AP that the photos of two deceased soldiers, who died in Iraq on Sept. 14, were nearly identical. Upon examining the photos, Owens noticed that everything except for the soldier’s face, name, and rank was the same.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Strange. Why on earth would the US Army provide doctored photographs of deceased soldiers? This is not a mishap, this takes effort and time. Naturally no one is commenting from the military. Tip of the iceberg or just someones idea of a bad joke. Sucks for the families.

brill

www.cjr.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
More to this story:

link

The families are seeking answers and instead they get doctored photos and buck-passing. Why? I can understand not releasing photos of what 'really' happened for obvious reasons but what possible reason and to what extent would the army go to rack up this PR mess. It's deplorable seeing how well troops & their respective families are treated when they have paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country.

brill

[edit on 20-9-2008 by brill]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Perhaps sadly enough the soldiers body was not in a fit condition to take a real photo and give it to the family.
Maybe it had massive facial damage.
So they took a photo of another body and put the face on it.
I know it sounds crazy but it could be just trying not to upset the family more.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Interestinggg

If that is the case, why not just tell them that? Tell them that the person was very disfigured and that all they had to go by was the dog tags, or the name tag on the shirt. Why doctor a picture of someone else, and give it to them? I would much rather they be straight forward and tell me, and not lie about it. This would only make me question their motives for the lie.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

If that is the case, why not just tell them that? Tell them that the person was very disfigured and that all they had to go by was the dog tags, or the name tag on the shirt. Why doctor a picture of someone else, and give it to them? I would much rather they be straight forward and tell me, and not lie about it. This would only make me question their motives for the lie.

Agreed. The argument that they are either too disfigured or unfit for viewing by their own families is weak. But why go to the extent of doing up some goofball photoshop images is still my question.

brill

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

If that is the case, why not just tell them that? Tell them that the person was very disfigured and that all they had to go by was the dog tags, or the name tag on the shirt. Why doctor a picture of someone else, and give it to them? I would much rather they be straight forward and tell me, and not lie about it.

Yeah I agree it seems a little crazy.
Wouldn't be something they would normally do.
Taking it upon themselves to withhold information about the persons death.
Unless they thought it was classified for some reason.
Who knows what goes through there heads from one minute to the next.
I cant think of any other reason for them doing it.
Other than the person in question possibly not actually even being dead and moving into some kind of spook position.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
but the pictures were obviously when the guys were still alive.
maybe they didn't have one of the guy in uniform so they placed his head and name tag on the same body.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fathom
but the pictures were obviously when the guys were still alive.
maybe they didn't have one of the guy in uniform so they placed his head and name tag on the same body.

Thats what I originally thought as well, but surely they must have proper photo ID of all troops. Even still what poor judgement and an insult to the dead to just assume you could pull a fast one.

brill

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
As always, if there's nothing to hide, there's nothing to lose in telling the truth. And the military ain't talking.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yeah if it was death photo's .. Umm the family gets the body .. Wouldn't you be a bit surprised to get a picture . Then have a body arrive with no face?

new topics

top topics

join