What Did Bernake Say They Can't Tell Us?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I generally don't even talk about this stuff to people any more, because it's so far beyond their comprehension level. I mean, two years ago I was looking at this information, seeing what was coming, listening to people saying "We're not in a recession" etc.

When you work in a tipped job like I do, you have a very real barometer as to the pulse of the nation's purse strings.. the worse people are doing, the less money I make..

I remember listening to a customer who basically forced me to overhear his cellphone conversation about 9 months ago (I was stuck where I was, within earshot) and he was saying "Oh yeah, we're closing this, laying off this, hunkering down basically until this slowdown is over, because it won't last forever, things will get better in a couple of months".. And I remember thinking "Wow. You wear a suit every day, you probably make four times what I do, and you're completely and utterly clueless, you have no foresight even based upon the things you're actually saying yourself.."

So yeah, I don't really say much about these things to people irl, because you can't force feed information to anyone.. they get it when they get it.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I feel like a hypocrite, I told my friends I would flee when it got to this point but I have not. I'm all theory and no action.

We all heard of this coming and now it's knocking at our door.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Zoinks! I cannot believe I forgot about SWFQW! It is totally playing out - as if there was ever any doubt. Tin foil hats all around!

Wow, good find.

I'm web-whacking it now. Got to have a local copy of that, to burn on CD for people who should see it but who I know will not click an email link.

autorun FTW

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Symbiote]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I had the full awakening that so many have described on here only about a month ago. I have had a feeling that stuff was not going well about 6 months ago and needed answers so I turned to alternative sources like ATS.
I feel that I cannot blame the masses for their complacency especially because I was one of them not too long ago. I am still dismayed that it appears that we are in a slow motion train wreck and 95% of people are clueless. I guess I can only b***h about it here though since nobody else cares.
On a side note: Senator Dodd is one of the most corrupt politicians in Washington and this might have just been another scare tactic to get the sheeple to give more power to the government.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I've believed this would happen for a very long time, and I also wanted to flee by now. I am trying to see anything positive in all this but right now I think America is screwed beyond belief, and actually doubt the ability to recover. Dire days ahead.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   

SEN. CHRISTOPHER DODD (D), CONNECTICUT: People were stunned by what they heard. And I'm angry about this, because I think this was preventable, I will tell you, but we're not going to talk about that today, because the issue is, what do we do?

Why would they talk about it being preventable?

That would only shed light on the FACT that they did absolutely nothing to prevent this and by action or inaction actually helped this along.

I was listening to one news cast on the radio where they said in a press conference the answer to a question of how this could be solved resulted in a shrug of the shoulders by some congressman I for get his name....

A shrug of the shoulders?

Atlas Shrugged.......he sure did...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
In answer to the orignal question, Benranke probably told them what could "potentially" happen if these band-aids they are giving the financial system do not work. I'm sure that Ben and Hank painted the most disturbing and unsettling picture they possibly could; they (with thier predecessors and political puppets in Washington) have built the proverbial "house of cards." A financial system where "wealth" is built and defined by debt; oh, that is a very sound system! These people are all criminals and I pray for the day where the sheeple recognize it and hold them accountable. I have a bad feeling I'll be waiting a long time...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
We on this forum are not alone. All the people I work with young and old come from every walk of life with backgrounds in everything you can imagine. This includes former and current business owners, Harvard graduates, and people of every generation back to the 1940s(all social and economic backgrounds).

We all agree that it is worse than we are being told. However we can only wait and see what happens. The old timers just say "this is really bad, however all we can do is try toride it out". Unfortunately most people have little time or will to reflect on what is at hand. People are talking though!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Is there a way we can find out what was said in that meeting?

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I was watching the financial channel this am and something very interesting was said by one of the anchors.

He said " Bernanke basically said we were 50 trades away from total economic collapse"

I don't know where he got his info or why he used those words but I swear that is what he said while waiting for the Senate hearings to start. He was talking about how shocked the Senators must have been to hear this.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I, too, am sure that the information given by Bernake was a glorified worst case scenario. (no real reason for the being sure just gut feeling) The real question I think we should be asking is WHY are is Dodd the one who is bringing it all up. *shrug* And furthermore if, as Dodd says, this was preventable then I'm thinking it's time to grab my tinfoil and blanket tent.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

We got the answer to your question Tuesday during the Senate Bank Hearing...
The answer is Congress had 7 days to enact legislation to stop the collapse of the U.S. economy and the Global economy that would soon follow.

This meeting took place Thursday night (Sept.18) So if this is true that we had 7 days until collapse then it should happen or after Sept 25.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Im not sure about this the date is from Sep,17th. 08 At a financial conference in Florida on Tuesday. Could he have said this again in the meeting.

Bernanke: "We Have Lost Control"

"We have lost control," said Hale, quoting Bernanke. "We cannot stabilize the dollar. We cannot control commodity prices."

www.nakedcapitalism.com...

That What I found so far. I've been looking for this too.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by SJE98]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by felipecb
Is there a way we can find out what was said in that meeting?

The Congressional leaders were told that the credit market temperature was hovering just about 32 F. Everyone froze when given a few examples of what that meant.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
He said " Bernanke basically said we were 50 trades away from total economic collapse"

I don't know where he got his info or why he used those words but I swear that is what he said while waiting for the Senate hearings to start. He was talking about how shocked the Senators must have been to hear this.

Actually, I thought he said 500, but the number is moot. This statement is a blatant lie!

It was pointed out to me by another member (can't believe I didin't realize this myself).

Do you realize how many trades happen in seconds in our markets? 50 or 500 trades pass in less than seconds. Where did he come up with this number? If it were true it would have happened because they just couldn't have stopped it on time. but they are counting on the fact that no one would realize just how much of a crock it was.

Think about it. This statement was a blatant panic media blast, and it was a crock!

[edit on 9/24/2008 by Relentless]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by seejanerun
I was watching the financial channel this am and something very interesting was said by one of the anchors.

If the TV anchor waited for the Senate hearings to start, how did he know what will be said? Or did Bernanke approached the anchor and confided to him before informing the Congress? Or did Bernanke hit the lawmakers with that "total economic collapse" nonsense before the hearing?
*sigh*

Here's a source that seems to be reliable enough:
themoderatevoice.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I tried and tried to figure out what could leave them stunned like that, and all I could come up with (IN MY MIND) was an estimation of how long it would be before they could no longer afford to pay the military.

But I should not have to speculate so, there should be more transparency here. But what would be told that would not be repeated? 50 or 500 trades could be repeated - there's already enough out there of that nature to ensure panic is happening.

Bushy is going to talk at us tonight. The secrecy bothers me. I like government out in the open so people like me don't have to 'speculate.'

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Irregardless of whether the number is 50 or 500... you have of one of two situations.

1. it's just a way of scaring people not smart enough to realize even the volume from etrade alone makes that a vanishingly small number to actually stop something in ... substantially less than a second. In which case you've got a talking point designed to override logic with fear.

2. They really can stop a meltdown at that interval... which is quite frankly a bit more frightening. 50 or 500 trades go so quick you'd have to know it was melting down before hand. Which isn't inconcievable but oh I don't even know... it's just bad if they can really slam a trade in 50 or 500 before meltdown and stop it on many levels.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Relentless

Holly smokes, I make about that many in two weeks (I like keeping Etrade in business...
)..

Just looking at the Volume on just the Dow, which only represents 30 companies and it's quite obvious this is a severe over exaggeration lol.

I think he was essentially saying it's only a matter of time before banks go bust having their shares at a mere $2

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join