It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FoxNews commentator Bill OReilly's website hacked

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

FoxNews commentator Bill OReilly's website hacked

www.theregister.co.uk

Two days after someone broke into the email account of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin, unknown intruders have hacked the website of conservative commentator Bill O\'Reilly and posted personal details of more than 200 of its subscribers.

The breach into BillOreilly.com came as retaliation for remarks O\'Reilly made on Fox News condemning the attack on Palin\'s Yahoo email account
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 20-9-2008 by brill]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Who's next? While I don't condone e-mail / website cracking it is pretty funny. The damage is somewhat minimal though. I still think Palin is an idiot in using public e-mail systems for correspondence given her capacity. Public figures need to be a bit more diligent in ensuring their web presence has some security. I want to see Paulsons email now.

brill

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Who cares about his subscribers...? They should have posted "Obama 08" Banners all over his website.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm not entirely clear from the article as to who notified the people visible in the subscriber screenshot of the site.

It looks like either Wikileaks notified these people, the hackers themselves or theregister after seeing the info posted.

Its doubtfull Bill O's crew would do it and then share any information about it with the press.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
http://__._/wiki/Bill_O%27Reilly_hacked_2008

Here you go for all who wants to see. Maybe Oreilly will tread lightly when smearing people. I mean those are passwords that is posted on there and Im sure people use those same passwords for other personal stuff. I feel for the people whos info was drug out there but this is why they need to be aware of whos clubs they are joining. Especially a guy who makes a living off of smear.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Well, Fox News was given advance warning of this, and for some reason, the "group" of crackers (being as cracker is the official term for this type of behaviour not hacker as people commonly think), choose to attack O'Reilly. This is not related to the Palin thing at all, aside from it being a computer crime.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Gee Wiz, never would have expected this to happen

Maybe he thought by opening his big mouth someone would watch his show from the attention he could get.

The Empire Strikes Back...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Too bad more scrupulous info wasn't uncovered. Rumors of Oreillys ex-CIA past as established by Project Mockingbird involvement would make for an interesting read.

link

brill

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
Well, Fox News was given advance warning of this, and for some reason, the "group" of crackers (being as cracker is the official term for this type of behaviour not hacker as people commonly think), choose to attack O'Reilly. This is not related to the Palin thing at all, aside from it being a computer crime.

You didn't read the article?

The breach into BillOreilly.com came as retaliation for remarks O'Reilly made on FoxNews condemning the attack on Palin's Yahoo email account, according to Wikileaks, a site that makes it easy for whistleblowers, hackers and anyone else to leak documents.

/b/tards have been creating threads to raid Bill O'Reilly for the past 2 days or so. This was coming. There are threads on ATS about this.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I like how the majority of websites reporting this and the palin email cracks, always refer to them as 'the group'. and don't name anonymous.

Fear of retaliation?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by danx

Well I'll be....thank you for the correction, I had not seen that before. Don't I look silly.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I heard that it was ebaumsworld and they were using Anon as a decoy to hatch their plans, as with the Oprah thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
This is so great! I love those guys, whoever they are.

I love the double standard also. "Its an invasion of privacy waaaaa". Yeah, so is tapping people's phone calls. But we're not corrupt politicians paid to progress the status quo, so we aren't entitled to privacy.

I see nothing wrong with this. An eye for an eye, my friend.

And I don't care for Gandhi's quote so save that overused response.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Didn't do much good, now did it? Very clever, but not a wise choice to let emotion overide intelligence.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Evdenly, FOX News' security team is not as tight and good as they'd like to beleive, huh?

It all boils down to the fact that a good telecommunications manager has to be AHEAD of the game and program the software so that this does not happen.
I know, i was the first person on the East Coast to catch 2 New Yorkers who hacked our telephone systems for Computerworld Magazine (anyone out there may know who i am) and it taught me a thing or two about this little game. Same company that publishes PC World and Infoworld, etc.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Actually using a service like Yahoo for official business, rather than the state mailing system, is against the law. Part of the whole "freedom of information" thing.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Only in regards to 'Official Government Business'. Personal business is not covered by the Freedom of Information Act. Otherwise you would be able to demand a copy of an Army soldier's letter to his mom. There is no indication that Palin was using the Yahoo account for 'Official Business'

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts
There is no indication that Palin was using the Yahoo account for 'Official Business'

There's some dispute about that:

According to Wired News, Amy McCorkell, author of one of the messages to Governor Palin and a member of the Governor's Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse, confirmed that her message was authentic.

Although it has been public knowledge that Gov. Palin used private e-mail accounts to conduct state business since before her nomination as Republican vice presidential candidate, the hacked e-mail account, the revealed contents of its correspondences and the possible public records violations they represent

src www.huffingtonpost.com...

brill

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I stand corrected. I had not seen that until now. In my defense, it is still a very recent story.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
WTF is up with NON HASHED PASSWORDS?

Do they not realize that O'reily and there WHOLE STAFF had ALL their info . Access to ALL their emails .

Holy hell . NO site . And i mean NO SITE store passwords unhashed.

This is crazy . Not the hack but the fact that this is REALLY fishy. Why would they store these passwords like this . If not to use them ?

If you had an account there . You may want to request logs of logins. See if any fox employee's have been accessing your stuff!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join