It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest UK woman for "offensive" child's toy in window

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Lithium

Not a bad idea Doc but you would still have the people who make these laws just because they deem it racist that will go ahead still kick up a fuss and there will be people from the other races if this idea was used kick up a bigger fuss because of the chips they carry on there shoulder.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
has anyone noticed how this "mandatory cultural sensitivity" causes more racial tensions than almost any other topic?

COuld it possibly be that maybe that's the real purpose behind forcing people to choose their words like they're disarming a bomb is to engender privatelly held and never voiced frustrations? THose frustrations keeping a level of tension up that isn't justifiable by anything other than stupid rules that keep us from just being ourselves and dealing with each other as people not ethnic groupings.

Generally speaking when a policy does nothing but create tension ... that's it's true purpose.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
blupblup:

And here is a short video of people being harmed because of racism.

I'm sorry, but I perceive you to be misquoting yourself out of your original contextual use. No one was harmed in the making of this complaint against a woman whom actually did the self-conscienteous act of removing an alleged offending article out of sight. Someone else took umbrage at the sight of it in the window...why? Why not contact the woman to make one's ire known, and ask that she remove it? Considering the actions the woman took under her own thinking...without having prior knowledge of the impending police arrest, I would judge her to have happily acquiesed to the request...end of story. The point being, however, are the ripples of indignation fanning out across the internet concerning the absurdity and waste of police time, and the scale of what transpired for the woman...fingerprinted, DNA sampled, and a quasi-criminal record made out, even though she is completely innocent...stupifyingly over-the-top!

Not long ago, a British teacher was pilloried and villified simply for allowing a teddy bear to be named after a prophet. She lost her job, had to come back to England, with her career almost in ruins. This has nothing to do with being 'politically correct', but religiously and racially-controlled. I am convinced that the complaint was made not out of a racial offence, but out of a inverse racial snobbishness. Unless there is something of a tensioned history between the complainer and the complained-against, I would posit that this was a opportunistic complaint.

I do not deny that people in the past, present, and no doubt, in the future, have been and will be racially harmed...but in this case...no way. My quote of you was not out of context, but an opportunity for you to provide evidence where there was racial harm in this case. If anything, the actual complaint caused racial tension, and that is a inverse racial reaction to forcing people to integrate and accept others by law, rather than the correct way by learning about each other and overcoming the differences through daily social sharing.

It is the way to achieve social harmony, through sharing of same or similar hardships and good times, equally and conscientiously, and helping each other through them...it is where community comes from. You can't force the issue without meeting with proportionate resistance. You have to allow it to happen on its own accord. Using the law to try and create social harmony is not a valid act, for you have to favour one racial identity over another in order to try and socially equalize. Those that are penalized will grumble and feel (rightly) ostracized simply because of whom they are. The 'real' offence in this case occurred to the woman whom was arrested.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir
It's perhaps wrong to compare what would happen in America with what has happened in Britain as, whilst there were/are definitely racist elements in society here, we haven't a history of segregation, Jim Crow &c. There's a different set of connotations at play here.

Yes, huge differences.

In the U.S.A., the dark skin people that the white folk discrimiate against are typically black, possibly of African descent.

In England the white folks hate on the Indian, Sihk, etc.

Such a huge difference.

Really huge.

Gargantuan, in fact.

Big.

Here's one for you: any action which has "race" as a motive is inherently a "rascist" action.

Be it white folk hating on blacks, blacks hating on whites.

Or some stupid wad of a Brit mongrel with a badge arresting a woman over a dark skinned doll in the window.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
This first doll is fine as are any like it... it's when you start with big lips, big eyes.
See the similarities between the jim crow stuff and the golly??
Big lips, big white eyes....??
Racist crap!!

The first doll is obviously made from a mold with white features. So it is okay to show black dolls with white features, and that is not racist. Okay.
By your reasoning we should probably also ban authentic African art from public viewing as well.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Symbiote
In the U.S.A., the dark skin people that the white folk discrimiate against are typically black, possibly of African descent.
In England the white folks hate on the Indian, Sihk, etc.

Yes there is a big difference. Blacks were brought to America via the slave trade, they had no choice and they were not in a position to force their culture on others.

Immigrants in England are there by CHOICE. Many of them think their culture is superior, and they move to their new host country not to assimilate but to replicate the culture they left behind. They lock their daughters up, force them into arranged marriages, and do everything they can to prevent their offspring assimilating into a culture that they view as inferior, despite the fact they chose to move there (of course not all do, but a fair percentage do and that is very damaging to British culture and society).

[edit on 22-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

LMAO I'm sorry, I've yet to read this whole thread but I saw the title and do you know the first thing I said to myself before even opening it?

"What was it then? A Gollywog?"

How the heck did I know that...

I've not read this all yet but yeah, any excuse to take DNA/Fingerprints.

Edited to add: 100% on the head Sonya! I mean there's even some Muslim people right now, still at this point, trying to get Government to impliment laws of Islam into our law - Including chopping off the hands of theives, beating rituals and other such 'sick' subjects as we take them to be.

I'm all for unique cultures and respecting them in their own respective homelands but to try and push them upon others? And forcing people to live with them, is just wrong IMO.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by A55A551N]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Volt_
Is taking her fingerprints and DNA really a waste of resources, for all you know she might not have been registered on the various databases and now she is and now she can be kept track of.

Too true _Volt_. There has been a real drive to increase the record count on the NDNAdb in the UK by utilizing draconian implementations of existing and new laws. Couple this with the Childrens Database and you will have, in around 25 years time, a complete record of all UK citizens....ID by the back door.

Once you are arrested and put on the db you CANNOT be removed even if you are not charged.

A previous poster asked for the Tories to come back, I agree but we will not see a reduction in the aggressive chase for personal id by the state, the Politicians are not in charge here...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Black features, white features....?

You are very misunderstood i think

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I'm waiting to see what stupid broken laws/reasons they'll make up for all the "Law abiding" Citizens of the UK to have their fingerprints/DNA taken.

I was once stopped by 'British Transport Police' because I was in the process of buying my train ticket halfway through my journey. Because there was a bag left on the overhead compartment where I was sitting, which wasn't even mine, when I (and the two plain clothed undercover train rent-a-cops) got off the train they nabbed me (for not having a ticket?)

And one of them attempted to fingerprint me, question me, and take samples of some kind...? I wasn't even eighteen years old, had no parent or lawyer present. Luckily his partner told me he was just trying to frighten me and let me off with a fine for not paying the fare.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

And no... i believe it is you who is confused, or maybe both of us....?

I was saying in a general sense, that people over the years have been hurt by racism.

Whether it be words, actions, dolls, brutality or whatever..... i was not just specifically talking about this incident.

I put that video in as a general reminder to those ignorant of the past, to show what has happened and how we got to the place that we are now.
Why dolls and key-rings and stickers and books and whatever else depicting racial stereotypes and negativity towards any race should not be tolerated.

I'm sorry if you thought i was saying the video i showed happened because of golliwogs??

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Black features, white features....?
You are very misunderstood i think

So now there are no differences in features? Everyone looks exactly the same except for skin color? That must explain why the police can usually identify the race of a homicide victim by bone structure alone, because there are no differences. It must have been racists that came up with the crazy idea that some races have larger lips and broader noses.

Gosh I wonder when the "pc humanists" will get around to rewriting the anthropology books.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

"By your reasoning we should probably also ban authentic African art from public viewing as well."

I actually see nothing wrong with authentic African art...
You can try and twist this to fit your agenda, but unfortunately, it will not work.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

"So now there are no differences in features? Everyone looks exactly the same except for skin color?"

Just the fact that you are defending this and the fact that you are so aware of all these differences makes me think that you really do have a problem.

Some Jews have big noses..... some Chinese have slanted eyes.... do i want to see dolls depicting it.... NO, do i think people should even concentrate on differences like this NO. yes, we are all different but we are all one and by pointing out all these differences and saying things like you and others have said... how can we move forward??

How, if people defend the rights of subtle racists and say things like i meant no harm after saying something harmful or ignorant, are people supposed to progress and evolve and forget about race,religion etc...?

[edit on 9/22/2008 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:12 AM
link   

some Chinese have slanted eyes.... do i want to see dolls depicting it....

This may be news to you but there are many people, asian and otherwise, that find asian women to be very attractive. Asian art often depicts their features, including their eyes, as classically beautiful. But in YOUR mind those features are offensive.

And you are saying I am racist?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The gollywog is a symbol steeped in racism.

If you do not comprehend this very simple fact then you are ignorant.

If you comprehend yet ignore this fact then you are supporting racism.

Does supporting, rather than fighting, racism make you a racist?

Of course it does.

If you think that the gollywog is not racist then you do not know what a gollywog is.

Go and educate yourself. If you can prove to me that the gollywog is not based upon racial stereotypes and is not racist then please enlighten me.

[edit on 22/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I know this has probably already been mentioned, but...

I too find that arresting someone for having a black doll is racist in itself.
They took offense to a doll being black... is there a law that all dolls have to be white?!

Heaven forbid anyone in that neighborhood should ever see a black person through a window!

... they might call in the army.

Yes, I realize the satire in my own post. And no I'm not ignorant to the symbolism.
My point being that the generation today DID NOT GROW UP BACK THEN. They weren't witness to the racist issues of those times, so why in gods name are WE subjecting them to it NOW?!

The only thing you're doing by enforcing racially strict laws on the new generation, is telling them they are all in fact very different...
aren't we just punishing a whole new generation for OUR OWN FAILURES?!

[edit on 22-9-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by A55A551N
I'm waiting to see what stupid broken laws/reasons they'll make up for all the "Law abiding" Citizens of the UK to have their fingerprints/DNA taken.

Erm. If they were 'law abiding' then there wouldn't be any 'broken laws'.

I was once stopped by 'British Transport Police' because I was in the process of buying my train ticket halfway through my journey. Because there was a bag left on the overhead compartment where I was sitting, which wasn't even mine, when I (and the two plain clothed undercover train rent-a-cops) got off the train they nabbed me (for not having a ticket?)

I am not sure what the bag has to do with it.

There are train services that require you to pay for a ticket before you board.

You tried to pay during the journey? Well that isnt the deal is it?

You pay before you get on so you got what you deserved

And to be honest I am glad that people like you (fare dodgers, law breakers, think they are beyond the law) deserve to be arrested, databased and monitored because you clearly couldn't give a shot for authority.

You should have bought the ticket before your journey and you wouldnt have been nabbed.

I mean who the feck do you think you are?

If you have an issue with the rail service (and you should do because it is shockingly crap and overpriced) then maybe you should do something more constructive like getting 50 of your mates on a train wearing cow masks and refusing to pay

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
blupblup is thoroughly deluded... brainwashed in fact.

Of course there are black features, white features, asian features etc.

Appearance is homogenous within a racial group to a large extent, so long as you are intelligent and educated enough to know the lines of demarkation. For example, I can tell a khoi-san and a somalian apart from their physical features even though they are both black. Can you do that? No, because you are the truly ignorant one. Granted, there are areas (such as egypt) where there has been considerable racial admixture and so there is discrepancy amongst physical anthropology work conducted there.

However by and large, we see that certain features occur at a much, much higher frequency amongst certain groups.

White people have narrow noses and long heads, oriental races have epicanthal folds (which you so eloquently put as "slanted eyes"), similarly black people by and large have wide noses and fuller lips.

Thus if a gollywog is a doll based upon black racial features, why is it racist?

On one hand you would be complaning if there were only white dolls, saying that dollmakers are racist. On the other hand, you claim that gollywogs hyper-accentuate black racial phenotypes.

Its lose-lose with you PC brainwashed folks...

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

WTF?

You accept that racism exists in the world right?

Yes?

Good.

Well if we cant use the law to protect and prosecute because it would be racist in itself then what the eff do you do?

Quickly.

You have a chance to redeem yourself with your next intelligent, well-thought out post......................

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join