It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest UK woman for "offensive" child's toy in window

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
What I can understand about this is..

The police are for two reasons mainly: Social Control and protection of property

You can't blame the police for acting as they did because if the doll remained in the window or was brought in view again to the public, its better that they would deal with it before a civilian stepped in and assaulted or harassed the woman or something, can you see where I'm coming from?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610Instead of being shamed by the "powers that be" start plastering your cars with British flag stickers, be British and be proud. Don't let them make you ashamed of your culture or your people (that is EXACTLY what they are trying to do, and their efforts are working).

I think this is where we differ completey. I would never 'fight for my country', I would never plaster my country's flags about my person, home or car.

I am not wrapped up in the whole 'i love my country' BS.

I love people, humanity and the planet.

I would risk my life for others but not for the United Kingdom Plc. or the United States of America Llc.

Its all business these days my friend

[edit on 21/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   
This is a country where flying the national flag is seen by the common man as a racist act... what hope is there for someone displaying a rather un-pc doll in their window?!

That said, golliwog dolls are pretty repulsive (aesthetically)... i dont know why any parent would give one to their child.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz
You are right. Having seem some of the police videos posting on here the UK police, while not as dangerous with their guns and tasers as their US counterparts (yet!), they are totally lethal with their lack of intelligence and thorough lack of understanding when it comes to the law.

Police in the U.S. believe in overwhelming force. The vast majority of Americans understand and support that as long as it is within the law and our rights are not being violated. Our society has some very violent elements. We need a police force that does not back down.

In the U.K. policemen can be attacked by unarmed mobs in shopping malls, they can be intimidated and if they do not back down they have been beaten and bitten nearly to death. Maybe the people in the U.K. are fine with that, because they want their police to appear “polite and non-offensive”. But in the U.S we do not want our police officers to be intimidated by groups of teenagers, or shy away when threatened by thugs. At least I don't.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by elysiumfire

Well as you're quoting me out of context, let me just put my whole quote for you to see.

"this is a bye-gone era, and fair enough....it may have been the "norm" at the time and meant no harm.... but people were harmed and hurt and upset, and we should respect the rights and feelings of others anmd lock this crap away....or if you really have to have a golliwog, just keep it out of sight."

And here is a short video of people being harmed because of racism.
There is actually some katrina and sudan footage in there too but i'm not going to waste time searching for stuff that you should know really... it's not really my job to educate the ignorant on the past is it??

[edit on 9/21/2008 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Well said Sonya, although I may just revert to calling you Pris because I fell in love with her when I first saw Blade Runner. Anyway...

The cultural war has raged in Britain, and certainly England, since New Labour took power. Social cohesion has been eroded rather than strengthened by the politically correct compulsion to try and force the masses of England to conform to idealogical no-mans' land where only the minorities have a voice.

Policing with a political emphasis on the rise... A secret police founded in unqualified members of the public... subjugation of expression through conformity to an accepted norm sanctioned by political correctness. 1933 anybody?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610Police in the U.S. believe in overwhelming force. The vast majority of Americans understand and support that as long as it is within the law and our rights are not being violated. Our society has some very violent elements. We need a police force that does not back down.

But in the U.S we do not want our police officers to be intimidated by groups of teenagers, or shy away when threatened by thugs.

That's right. You must be very proud of your police force.

At least all the teens and thugs are under control.

Unfortunately the people of LA must have felt let down somewhat when the police cowered away while the rioters took hold.

I guess the rioters posed more of a challenge what with them not being teens ands thugs eh?!

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I love how so many people are ignoring certain parts so they can say what they want to say.

The fact is its part of a "string of incidents", so the fact she had the doll on display wasnt the reason she was taken in for questioning - it was everything put together.

Wouldnt you want the police to question someone if theyd been doing a bunch of stuff that was insulting you? If they didnt youd probably be complaining that they didnt do anything... were just wasting tax payers money sitting around eating all day.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
"this is a bye-gone era, and fair enough....it may have been the "norm" at the time and meant no harm.... but people were harmed and hurt and upset, and we should respect the rights and feelings of others anmd lock this crap away....or if you really have to have a golliwog, just keep it out of sight."

Please explain specifically, exactly what is offensive about that doll? Does it represent slavery? Does it represent the oppression of black people in the UK circa 1940? So that we all may understand and be more sensitive, what exactly is offensive about this doll? Is it simply because it depicts the common characteristics of a specific race? Is that what is offensive?

You have strong feelings on this matter. Please help those of us that are ignorant understand. I see a lot of depictions (comics, dolls, etc...) that show white people with pale skin and thin lips, should I be offended by those depictions? Maybe I should.

Explain how/why it is offensive so that we may learn.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Also, how do you think this would have been handled in the US?

Lets start from the point where the neighbour felt offended at the item in the window...

Personally, I think it would have gone one of three ways:

a) offended neighbour gets gun and kills offending neighbour

b) offended neighbour goes to complain and gets shot by offending neighbour

c) offended neighbour ralllies the troops and a riot takes hold

d) erm...nah...cant think of any other possible outcome

The UK approach avoided all of the above. And by the way, all of the above could have happened in this situation in the UK. One reason why any other outcome may have been avoided could have been because of the offended person faith in a system that understands, listens and acts in a fair and just manner.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

You've made some excellent points.

I am not proud to be British...i think it is sad to be that way.
I'm proud to be HUMAN, and unlike (it seems) the majority on here, i think race, nationality and so on should all be equal.

The sooner we realize we are all one, all human and share a planet, not a border or island and put this patriotic, pride CRAP behind us.....the sooner we can move on and evolve as a HUMAN RACE....

Unfortunately, judging by a number of posts on this thread and others here at ATS, we are a long way-away.

And i thought ATS was for the alternative thinker and the above-average intelligence punter..... but i guess racism is to deeply rooted...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

That's right. You must be very proud of your police force.

At least all the teens and thugs are under control.

Unfortunately the people of LA must have felt let down somewhat when the police cowered away while the rioters took hold.

I guess the rioters posed more of a challenge what with them not being teens ands thugs eh?!

No they are not under control. I have seen a lot of L.A. riot footage, was there footage of police officers being attacked and were they incapable of defending themselves? I never said the police have control of all elements in our society, I said our police believe in overwhelming force because there are some very violent elements in our society.

You think the riots are amusing? Do you get a thrill out of that footage? I do not. I don't find anything amusing about thugs pulling helpless people out of their vehicles simply because of their race and beating them to death. Guess we just find humor in different things.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Double post sorry

[edit on 9/21/2008 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   

If you don't "get it"..... i'm afraid i cannot help you

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
If you don't "get it"..... i'm afraid i cannot help you

I must be confused. Are there dolls depicting "evil jews" or "scary islamic figures/prophets" being sold all over the U.K. for children to coddle?

Are there? You are obviously an expert, please share pictures of these dolls so we can wipe out the racism that is inherent in childrens toys.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610What defines "racist crap". I am offended by lots of things, but that does not mean I expect the people to be arrested. For instance here there are numerous Black Organizations that publically and openly claim to be specifically for the benefit of Black people only.

Does that offend me? Well it certainly annoys me, especially because as a white person if I dared start such an organization and put "white" in the name it would be labeled a "hate group".

If those black organizations really make me feel bad about my race perhaps they need to stop their public messages immediately or risk criminal prosecution for aggravating racial tension and offending people that are excluded because of their race.

Fair is fair.

This is exactly the kind of talk you hear at BNP rallies and other racist organisations.

First point, there is already The White Club.

It exists as the White President of America, White presidents and CEOs of major companies, White students with access to the best educational facilities and White civilians with access to the best housing, jobs and public services.

Wake up!

Second point, the fact you do not comprehend the first point leaves you at a disadvantage.

Go do some research, find out why black people have created movements and support groups, and when you have done this, come back and show us that you have challenged yourself, that you have educated yourself and become a better person.

[edit on 21/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610You think the riots are amusing? Do you get a thrill out of that footage? I do not. I don't find anything amusing about thugs pulling helpless people out of their vehicles simply because of their race and beating them to death. Guess we just find humor in different things.

Oh how you twist things.

I was laughing at you and your comments Sonya610.

Do you see.

You misquoted me earlier by avoiding the fact that I used the word 'may' to make a supposition.

Now you think that I am laughing at people being murdered and beaten.

How sorry you are.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Go do some research, find out why black people have created movements and support groups.

The black people in America enjoy a MUCH MUCH higher standard of living than anything they could have hoped to experience in any black run country on this planet.

They have the opportunity to focus on illusive issues like "hidden racism" while receiving ample amounts of food, modern housing, and access to education and technology that otherwise would have been unthinkable in their homelands.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Lol, i'm starting to think that you really have no idea....or you are actually just trying to be racist?

You have lost me.....

You asked what was offensive about these dolls.... i am showing you that they are as offensive as ANY RACIAL STEREOTYPING!!!

Whether it be jewish, muslim, black, white....whatever..

You even said that you think there is nothing wrong with a doll that displays some of the common characteristics of certain groups or races??

Common characteristics?????

you have to be kidding right?

I seriously cannot help you, you are either blind, ignorant or just being argumentative.... not sure which.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610The black people in America enjoy a MUCH MUCH higher standard of living than anything they could have hoped to experience in any black run country on this planet.

But they are Americans. Why does it matter what happens in another country?

They have the opportunity to focus on illusive issues like "hidden racism" while receiving ample amounts of food, modern housing, and access to education and technology that otherwise would have been unthinkable in their homelands.

Their 'homelands'?

America IS their homeland.

Your posts reek of ignorance and potential racism.

Stop talking.

Start learning.

Quickly.

Before you get banned!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join