It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest UK woman for "offensive" child's toy in window

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Did anyone check to see if she broke UK law or EU law?
If she broke EU law there could be a real story here.
They have ridiculous latitude with what they can do.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bubblegum
The N word you referred to is Nigger

Do you think I was unaware of that fact?

Do you think that smashing the word about makes you clever?

To be honest I find the word highly offensive so you wont catch me using it. You do as you please and I am sure you will as you clearly couldn't care less about anyone else just as long as you get to do as you please.

I am not so sure that the many people who have suffered racism, and continue to do so, would be so proud of you and your apathy.

But that is just my opinion and of course you are entitled to yours.

By the way, IMO, the fact that you are mixed race neither adds or detracts from any message you have to deliver.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by maxwellsmart
The dude in my local charity shop doesn't know how lucky he is then seeing as he is brazenly flaunting a book on 'gollitoys' in his shop window!

I was gonna buy it for my bro seeing as he used to have one as a kid that he used to take everywhere with him. Lucky I didn't; it was probably a trap!

I would suggest you go back and actually read the thread.

We are all perfectly aware that the gollywog is legal and on sale.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Why did this thread become a US vs the UK bashing? Seems that is as racist as the doll may or not have been perceived.

Basically, in my opinion, in either country it was not handled well.

I am American and lived many years in the UK as a child and remember collecting the jar labels for the gollywog pins. Too bad I don't still have them bet they could fetch a fair penny today.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I've had the flu* for the last few days and have just logged-in to catch-up on the rest and reply to some posts. Having read the last few pages on here, I wish I'd not bothered.

I know topics such as this can be provocative but, having read these boards for a few years, I was expecting more to be honest. There seems to be a lot more finger-pointing and accusations going on than genuine discussion.

So, to quote a 'Dragon's Den' catchphrase: 'and, for that reason, I'm out'.

* the real deal, not 'man-flu'! I feel #ing rubbish.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Merriman Weir]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:23 AM
link   
when i was a kid, almost 40 yr ago i had a gollywog doll.

i was devastated when my two elder brothers were teasing me and tore its head clean off during a tug o war they had.

i never thought of it as anything other than a soft doll.. i never thought of it as a cXXn, Nxxxer or other derogitory name.

hell i didnt even think of it as a black man.

it was just another beloved soft toy to this 5yr old, along with my soft kangaroo and koala "teddy's"

political correctness has gone way too far in this world and this is just another poor example.

like some of the other ridiculous warnings ive seen lately:
snickers - "warning may contain traces of nuts"
popcorn - "warning, may contain traces of unpopped corn kernels"

[edit on 25/9/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

The N word you referred to is Nigger

Do you think I was unaware of that fact?

Do you think that smashing the word about makes you clever?

To be honest I find the word highly offensive so you wont catch me using it. You do as you please and I am sure you will as you clearly couldn't care less about anyone else just as long as you get to do as you please.

I am not so sure that the many people who have suffered racism, and continue to do so, would be so proud of you and your apathy.

But that is just my opinion and of course you are entitled to yours.

By the way, IMO, the fact that you are mixed race neither adds or detracts from any message you have to deliver.

After reading your reply, I was unsure whether to respond or not - but I felt the need to say. My part to 'smash the word' around as you say was not to be clever, it was more about the nature of the word and peoples perceptions. Some people don't like the term gollywog - but its used in an innocent way despite the negative connatations it may have. Like you I find the word offensive and have had many converstaions with people who do not and use it as a term of endearment to there breathren - but I wouldn't use, however I needless to say I don't ever refer to it as the N-word.

Please don't assume that I have not met, do not know people or have not had my own fair share of racism - in this debate I was expressing my 'opinions' and highlighting many opinions and debates that I have had with others and even sharing with you in that factor.

As for your comment re "You do as you please and I am sure you will as you clearly couldn't care less about anyone else just as long as you get to do as you please"...was somewhat uncalled for...yes there is much banter about a very heated debate and its a shame that you have misunderstood a part as to where I was coming from. I made the assumption of mentioning the fact that I was mixed due to my life experience of people bringin this into the conversations (based on my own parents experience - who had to deal with a lot of racism due to the fact that they were in a mixed relationship) and I guess I offered up before anyone asked - but again based on an assumption.

I try and practice forgiveness everyday and believe anger justs eats you up inside. If you think I am apathetic - then fine. But I found what people were saying very interesting, sharing their varied thoughts on the subject, looking at all angles as well as adding the odd sarcast remark or dry humour rather than making it too personal. I came onto this website - too meet, share and debate with others. And I believe I have got more out of it than I thought I would - the reminder to be patient and compassionate to humankind as we still have a long way to go! Stay the course and have a good one!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blogstalker
Why did this thread become a US vs the UK bashing? Seems that is as racist as the doll may or not have been perceived.

Basically, in my opinion, in either country it was not handled well.

I am American and lived many years in the UK as a child and remember collecting the jar labels for the gollywog pins. Too bad I don't still have them bet they could fetch a fair penny today.

If you have the originals - they truly are collectables!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by maxwellsmart
The dude in my local charity shop doesn't know how lucky he is then seeing as he is brazenly flaunting a book on 'gollitoys' in his shop window!

I was gonna buy it for my bro seeing as he used to have one as a kid that he used to take everywhere with him. Lucky I didn't; it was probably a trap!

I would suggest you go back and actually read the thread.

We are all perfectly aware that the gollywog is legal and on sale.

....I think this is what you may call a bit of dry humour

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Is this the same UK that allowed a "stripper" Halloween costume for young girls, complete with a 5 foot high plastic pole to dance around?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Is this the same UK that allowed a "stripper" Halloween costume for young girls, complete with a 5 foot high plastic pole to dance around?

You are joking right?

A kids stripper costume with pole?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Bubblegum

Yeah. Sorry Bubblegum.

Have had a very bad week and shouldnt be letting it crossover to ATS.

Apologies.

[edit on 25/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

You are joking right?

Hey I remember something about this - not so much the 'halloween' costume but defo the pole!!...complete madness!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Yeah. Sorry Bubblegum.

Apologies.

Apologie accepted!

I hope your weekend turns out much better! xx

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Yeah. Sorry Bubblegum.

Apologies.

Apologie accepted!

I hope your weekend turns out much better! xx

pps Apologies for spelling - need to slow down when typing!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Stripper haloween cossie??? What?

And I'm guessing you're from the same country where they allow little girls to dress up and act like woman and compete in beauty pageants....??

[edit on 25/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Stripper haloween cossie??? What?

And I'm guessing you're from the same country where they allow little girls to dress up and act like woman and compete in beauty pageants....??

Okay, you busted me...

I mean, we all know how equally degrading beauty pageants and stripping on a pole are for women.

(I can't believe someone gave you a star for that absurd tripe you posted)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   

You are joking right?

It also had fake money for her boy friends in the neighborhood to "tip" her with.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

"(I can't believe someone gave you a star for that absurd tripe you posted)"

If it was absurd....why say i busted you??

Great logic

Oh, and do you have links to this haloween costume story...cos it's turning up blank for me....

You started with the xenophobic crap....so don't even start with me on that.

[edit on 25/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

"(I can't believe someone gave you a star for that absurd tripe you posted)"

If it was absurd....why say i busted you??

Great logic

Oh, and do you have links to this haloween costume story...cos it's turning up blank for me....

You started with the xenophobic crap....so don't even start with me on that.

I said you "busted me" in SARCASM.

Apparently that flew right over your head.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join