It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police arrest UK woman for "offensive" child's toy in window

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
For the 500th time.
www.ferris.edu...

Yeah why not read the WHOLE history huh? Or do you just like to take the snippets that give everything an ugly racist slant?

The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwogg

(synopsis or original book and the creation of the Golliwog)

A children’s poem-story about a black male rag doll and five wooden Dutch dolls. The book was written and illustrated by Berta Upton and her daughter Florence K. Upton in 1895. Florence modeled her character Golliwogg after a doll she had as a child. She gave him a jet-black face, wild wooly hair, bright red lips and formal minstrel attire. But the best thing she gave the Golliwogg was a jovial and friendly personality. Golliwog is considered Teddy Bears’s best friend. The intention of this edition is that our children meet the original jovial and friendly Golliwogg.
www.lulu.com...

Oooohhh...portraying the Golliwog as a "jovial, friendly personality" ...that is SOOOO EVIL!!!!! Imagine the young minds that were tarnished by such a horrible, racist perception of black people!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Bubblegum

For the 500th time.

www.ferris.edu...

------hahaha.....interesting reply!....check your history my friend!...Honestly fancy picking a racist memorabilia website to fund your argument. Besides you missed the point of what I was saying - to me as a child it was just a doll!...with fond memories and a happy plesent - very well dressed individual. Its adults who turn things into evil nastiness! :-P

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bubblegum

For the 500th time.

www.ferris.edu...

------hahaha.....interesting reply!....check your history my friend!...Honestly fancy picking a racist memorabilia website to fund your argument. Besides you missed the point of what I was saying - to me as a child it was just a doll!...with fond memories and a happy plesent - very well dressed individual. Its adults who turn things into evil nastiness! :-P

Oops meant to write pleasant!

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610

For the 500th time.
www.ferris.edu...

Yeah why not read the WHOLE history huh? Or do you just like to take the snippets that give everything an ugly racist slant?

The Adventures of Two Dutch Dolls and a Golliwogg

(synopsis or original book and the creation of the Golliwog)

A children’s poem-story about a black male rag doll and five wooden Dutch dolls. The book was written and illustrated by Berta Upton and her daughter Florence K. Upton in 1895. Florence modeled her character Golliwogg after a doll she had as a child. She gave him a jet-black face, wild wooly hair, bright red lips and formal minstrel attire. But the best thing she gave the Golliwogg was a jovial and friendly personality. Golliwog is considered Teddy Bears’s best friend. The intention of this edition is that our children meet the original jovial and friendly Golliwogg.
www.lulu.com...

Oooohhh...portraying the Golliwog as a "jovial, friendly personality" ...that is SOOOO EVIL!!!!! Imagine the young minds that were tarnished by such a horrible, racist perception of black people!

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Sonya610]

....Mmmmm its very disturbing isn't it!...I mean its almost fictional!..._javascript:icon('
')

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

So good you said it twice....

Ok, from the Official GW site

www.golliwogg.co.uk...

Also, side with the BNP

www.bnp.org.uk...

"Strike a blow against political correctness with this fantastic 6″ “Golly” pen, mounted on its own suction base and spring loaded body.

You can buy it from Excalibur right now by clicking here. £2.99 (excluding p&p) or how about an “England Golly” pin badge for £2.00 (excluding p&p)."

So how about it....getting your pin-badge???

For anyone who doesn't know what the BNP is or are..

The British National Party (BNP) is a far-right[13][14][15][12] and whites only[13][16][17] political party in the United Kingdom. The BBC estimates the party has about 58 elected councilors in local government in England;[18] including parish councilors the party claims to have 100 councilors.[18

England's answer to the K.K.K

SOURCE

[edit on 23/9/08 by blupblup]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hmm, the evidence link is nothing but an opinion piece, that distorts the real picture considerably. The ten little poem, refers to a mystery novel by Agatha Chisty, and the goal is to solve murders, not to celebrate the death of ten black children.

I remember the song, "Ten Little Indians", and the words went like this.

www.zelo.com...

One little, two little, three little Indians
Four little, five little, six little Indians
Seven little, eight little, nine little Indians
Ten little Indian boys.

Ten little, nine little, eight little Indians
Seven little, six little, five little Indians
Four little, three little, two little Indians
One little Indian boy.

Where is the celebration of anyones death in this song. Is this the same song as in the story. If so, maybe the author was not thinking that this was connected to anyones death. I certainly never got this out of this song. Sounds like a cute way of learning to count.

Maybe someone is making a mountain out of a mole hill.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
I remember the song, "Ten Little Indians", and the words went like this.

It's Ten Little N-words and the lyrics go something like this:

Ten little N-word boys went out to dine;

One choked his little self and then there were Nine.

Nine little N-word boys sat up very late;

One overslept himself and then there were Eight.

Eight little N-word boys travelling in Devon;

One said he'd stay there and then there were Seven.

Seven little N-word boys chopping up sticks;

One chopped himself in halves and then there were Six.

Six little N-word boys playing with a hive;

A bumble bee stung one and then there were Five.

Five little N-word boys going in for law;

One got into Chancery and then there were Four.

Four little N-word boys going out to sea;

A red herring swallowed one and then there were Three.

Three little N-word boys walking in the Zoo;

A big bear hugged one and then there were Two.

Two little N-word boys sitting in the sun;

One got frizzled up and then there was One.

One little N-word boy left all alone;

He went out and hanged himself and then there were None.

Hmmm. A little different to your Ten Liittle Indians my friend.

[edit on 24/9/2008 by skibtz]

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   

What is the significance of you being mixed race?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

Erm...blupblup intelligently pointed you in the direction of a fantasic historical resource that very accurately documents racist memorabilia for the public.

You, not being happy with that educational resource, show us the light...well...a book description of a pro-gollywog book.

I would give a round of applause but my hands are holding my sides together what with all the laughter!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

Why can't you realise that your opinion is precisely that : your opinion.

Others have different opinions, and different interpretations of the same item (in this case a golliwog).

If you find it offensive, dont own one. Dont try and ramrod your belief that golliwogs are inherently racist down other peoples' throats!

Making snide comments like the one above add nothing to this discussion.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
Others have different opinions, and different interpretations of the same item (in this case a golliwog).

And that is the whole point.

Someone, with a different interpretation of the gollywog found it racially offensive.

The law protected that person.

Job done. What's the problem with that?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

And please...

What is snide about highlighting the vast differences in the resources and the fact that I found the weight of those differences amusing?

As Sonya says, please dont attack the poster - reply to the message.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
reply to post by skibtz

Not all of them die, and where is the celebration of their death at. Nothing seems to celebrate the deaths, and the song ends on a sad note. It is a strange song, but claims that it celebrates the deaths are grossly exagerated. The methods that the boys dissappear are very strange, and many could have very symbolic meanings.

Taking the time to look up the books, the characters are not drawn ugly of degrading. Certainly not as degrading as Homer Simpson, or many other cartoon characters. If this is the worse part in all the books, it isn't that bad, in fact, not at all.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
Not all of them die, and where is the celebration of their death at

Many old childrens poems and stories were seeped in violence and often death. Remember "Ring Around the Rosey"? Then then are the fairly tales like the Brothers Grimm. Good lord they came up with some dark stuff! Some of which is censored today because it is just too morbid to publish as childrens books (children being butchered and eaten by their step-parents and the like).

But of course many will overlook 95% of the stories and only focus on the ones involving race to further their agenda.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
You have been shown, now it is up to you all to make a choice.

You said my source (probably the best and most recognized) was biased, so i provided sources from the GOLLIWOGG's OWN WEBSITE.... that still isn't enough for you.

I provided one from the B.N.P. so not biased towards my opinion at all, still not good enough.

Don't know what else i can do?

I see Skibtz put the REAL lyrics to the song that you tried to play down, still according to you, not racist??

What more do you want??

Seriously....

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by skibtz

Originally posted by 44soulslayer

And that is the whole point.

Someone, with a different interpretation of the gollywog found it racially offensive.

The law protected that person.

Job done. What's the problem with that?

The problem is that anyone can find anything offensive if they so choose. Should the law be based on intent? Or interpretation? If someone finds the Union Flag offensive should they all be banned? Should Father Christmas be banned because someone things someone might find him offensive (presumable Christians
)?

The Gollywog has been a much loved toy for over a century. Images in various forms - from toys to collectable figurines - are on sale in high street shops all over the country. I therefore find it most incredible that someone can be charged with racial offense because their child left such a toy a window sill.

I suspect there is much more to the story than has been reported.

But, if the story is true, I consider the person who complained about this toy which is on sale all over the country to be a racist. I can think of no other reason why they should object?

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

She was released without charge.

The story is sensationalist.... the same as all these anti-foreigner stories.
Absolute OTT, right-wing nonsense.

Winterville...remember that?

Apparently we couldn't call it christmas because of foreigners...absolute fabricated rubbish put out there by far right groups to continue tensions between brits and immigrants.

The union jack is OUR national flag, i would imagine it's tough luck if people don't like that.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Essan

She was released without charge.

And she was no doubt 'arrested' simply because, a complaint having been made, the police were obliged to follow it up - common sense having been made illegal in this country
In the old days someone making such a daft complaint would have been laughed out of the station - or just plain charged with wasting police time.

The story is sensationalist.... the same as all these anti-foreigner stories.
Absolute OTT, right-wing nonsense.

Winterville...remember that?

Apparently we couldn't call it christmas because of foreigners...absolute fabricated rubbish put out there by far right groups to continue tensions between brits and immigrants.

The union jack is OUR national flag, i would imagine it's tough luck if people don't like that.

I agree with that. Except it's just not far right groups making up this nonsense. More often it's those from the centre and the left. And the Commission For Racial Equality is one of the worst culprits in my opinion - but then, it does have to justify its existence in a largely non racist society.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Essan

I also agree with what you're saying.

I don't even know if arresting the woman was right either... that is for the police to decide.

the reason why we got to this point was more about whether or not gollies or dolls that exaggerate racial stereotypical features were accepptable in this day and age.

And if people find them offensive, i would argue that really they have no place in a progressive and modern society.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Sorry that it's wiki but the rest of the info available on the web was probably too heavy for a heated debate such as this.Info above anyway on the 'incitement to create racial hatred 'law.

This is quite a difficult subject in the sense that a balance has to be found between people rights of free expression andpeoples rights to not be discriminated against.Here is another case;

www.lutononsunday.com...

I think it's worth making the point that Britain once had The Empire and what is tweaking peoples sensitivies is that things like the Gollywog could be percieved as symbolic of that era-when other races were subjugated by the British.What was acceptable once in the past is unacceptable now becuase societies are'nt static,they move ,change and evolve.The Golly to me is symbolic of how people used to think.For example-when I was a child I absolutely loved the poems of Robert Louis Stephenson that he wrote for kids.One poem went;

Little Indian ,Souix or Crow,little frosty Eskimo
Little Turk or Japanee,Don't you wish that you were me?

Meaning'Don't you wish you were white and English?'

The problem is the past is'nt dead ,especially in places like England because it's so old.There's a pub where I live called 'The Saracens Head' which was the in-place to go with the crusaders when they came home from Jerusalem.It has a picture of a moor from those days on the pub sign.Do you get my meaning posters?It's complicated at best and almost impossible at worst but I think we have to try.Sorry if there are spelling mistakes-i'm having a bad dyslexia day

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join