It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Big Bang Machine" Breaks Down Again

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal
'It's a small but very real chance the Earth may make it into the Darwin Awards.'

No kidding. CERN Scientists: "We want to re-create the moment before the Big Bang" ... well Duh. Ka-Boom!

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Maybe it was a calculated "malfunction" and they thought that they would hit a better "probability" level for a "first time use" around Christmas because inexplicably the weather around this time is surprisingly calm. Something that possibly has to do with Cosmic particles that are hitting our earth in a weird manner but only for this time period.

For some reason they didn't want the world to know that the original start could be around Christmas because it would mess with their "probability levels".

It might sound like baloney but there is logic behind it and it would take too many pages to analyze. On the other hand my claims could be complete BS.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Something about "Third times a charm" comes to mind, heh.

You've got to face the facts though. The immensity of this project has simply not been attempted before. It's an undertaking that requires some extreme levels of precision calculations and calibrations, on a scale that spans the distance of cities.

I'm still not surprised it's not fully functional yet.

I wasn't surprised when the transformer failed, and I'm not surprised now that a super-cooled electro-magnet has failed.

The amount of power being used by each of these guiding magnets is incredible to say the least. These aren't your typical magnets, they have to be custom designed and built for their intended tasks.

Luckily, the creators of the LHC project are intelligent enough to factor in the chances of failed starts... so financially this will be accounted for already.

I would have been VERY surprised if the whole project worked properly on the first attempt.

There's a reason they aren't running it at full power right off the bat...
... because they don't expect everything to run smoothly until the kinks are worked out.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ki11ma11

Originally posted by drphilxr
1.) IF John titor was right, ie., time travel theory turned into reality using microsingularites to power a tipler cylindrical wormhole...then

2) IF you could stop CERN's LHC (like throw a wrench in the works with a virus, etc) or ....

3) IF our timeline is sufficiently different from titor's and the LHC NEVER becomes operational in our lifetimes....

then

Could we avert catastrophic nuclear war and all the other bad things supposedly coming our way?

The looking glass/ 'yellow book' that danny burisch talks a lot about supposedly came from the roswell crash. that event apparently was
a massive muck-up of timelines by future travellers (the 'ET's').

Again, IF no LHC, then no time travel, then no doomsday (At least not soon)?

Is this logical or just hopeful thinking?

Interesting theory none the less... This machine won't cause a doomsday... Instead I think one of three outcomes will happen... It doesnt work, we find HIGGS BOSON/new scientific data that progresses technology insanely far, or we find nothing... I am betting on the latter... However thinking outside of the box for a minute... This could be very plausible... ''Aliens" as they are called are described as being anywhere from tall, short, lanky, sender, with large heads... There has been several articles discussing the future human... What it will look like, and how intelligent they will be... Several theories describe them almost appearing similar to what people describe the ''E.T.s" as looking like... Now think for a moment... This machine may just progress us as a civilization farther in terms of technology and understanding, and may just be a step into achieving what those ''aliens'' achieved... Time travel, interstellar travel, or progress to civilization 1,2, or 3... If indeed they are real, or more importantly future humans... Remember crop circles? Remember the genuine ones they could not explain... Several of those circles resembled models... Models of atoms, molecules, and what not... Compare those circles to proposed models of what the split atoms will look like once the LHC is at full power... They look remarkably similar... Now could this be a heads up of what to find and a hint from our futureselves paying us a visit? Or a really creative kid with too much time on his hands... Who knows... Only time will tell...

[edit on 09/23/1989 by ki11ma11]

Matter Antimatter?
www.lucypringle.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

I do believe they will find something, certainly they will get hints for which way to search in the future, but the way to reach a final solution will have to become even more uncomprehensible after that. A lot of ifs (hypothesis) and a lot of perfect conditions (states) that have to exist theoretically, that may have to decide to build another 10 LHCs and even then there could be no final solution to the puzzle. At least lets hope that something practical will be available from this.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Back when the first car was build, we feared to drive faster than 20 mph.
Look where we are now.
Some people are just afraid of anything.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
I think they have turned it off because they have seen something in it that terrifies them i think we may be seeing a few more excuses about when this thing will be switched on for sure! Possibly we will not ever switch this machine on. Wasn't there a lawsuit filed to try and stop it? This stinks of red tape what are they scared of?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Before the first atom bomb was detonated many feared a chain reaction in the atmosphere resulting in the destruction of life.

The bomb was detonated. As a race are we brave or stupid?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by wellsybelieves
I think they have turned it off because they have seen something in it that terrifies them i think we may be seeing a few more excuses about when this thing will be switched on for sure! Possibly we will not ever switch this machine on. Wasn't there a lawsuit filed to try and stop it? This stinks of red tape what are they scared of?

No, It is broken.
A magnetic malfunctioned.
That is all.
Why do you feel the need to make things up to scare people?

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Given the amount of amazing reports stating that ETs have been shutting down nuclear weapons, I hope they're throwing a few spanners in the works of this too.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Jebus Christ!

Why does it break so often? The sentence "Made in China" popped into my mind..

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a multi billion dollar machine that took more than a few years to build is bound to have a few bugs in it, or even faulty machinery. We are not going to die. We are not going to die. Once again, we are not going to die. Get over it.

I almost wish it would blow up the Earth so that I won't have to listen to people complain about LHC conspiracies anymore.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Oh god, how hard is it to smash a couple of protons, jeeze, just get a couple of adapters from canadian tire and call it a day, lol...

No seriously, I could care less if its going or not, aslong as they actually learn something from the investment, its not like it actually does the citizens any good, we can't even see it... lol

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
The media have been so sloppy in reporting on the LHC. They gave the impression that last Wednesday's test was an actual experiment, when really all they did was test fire a beam in one direction. It hasn't actually collided anything yet! So this still has the potential to turn into a collassal waste of money (or swallow up the earth into a black hole
).

I'm sure they'll get it working eventually, but there's a big question as to how much time and money will be spent until then.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It is more than likely going to turn out to be a huge waste of money and a let down... Anyhow maybe it is not meant for us to play God perhaps? Who knows... Anyways the nut jobs who are worried about this thing will have to deal with knowing that their end of the world predictions are put on hold for a few more months... It is supposed to be down for 2 months, however it could be put on hold even longer from what I have read....

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
They're all mad scientists who don't care a hoot about anyone except personal pride and who can discover the missing "Higgs Boson" or "God particle". I am glad that the stupid machine broke down. I hope they can't fix it. I think when it works they will shoot a beam through some liquid helium and blow up half of Europe with the largest nuclear explosion man has ever seen.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by Fromabove]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
They're all mad scientists who don't care a hoot about anyone except personal pride and who can discover the missing "Higgs Boson" or "God particle". I am glad that the stupid machine broke down. I hope they can't fix it. I think when it works they will shoot a beam through some liquid helium and blow up half of Europe with the largest nuclear explosion man has ever seen.

[edit on 21-9-2008 by Fromabove]

science class wasnt good to you was it?

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Wonder is the CERN need any help fixing the LHC. I would like to see it run at full power. Yes, I do understand it could be the end of the world as we know it but I am getting a little sick of this one. I want to change the channel.

[edit on 4-10-2008 by fixer1967]

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I'm wondering, and I doubt I'm the only one, if it really did breakdown. I know it wasn't at full power, but perhaps early results pointed to something bigger happening if things continued and weren't carefully thought out and planned for?

I'm just thinking out loud here. There are literally millions of reasons it could've broken down. I do realize that.

posted on Oct, 4 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
If you say so I think the Odds of something going wrong with the LHC are much much higher though even Hawking himself gave a 15% chance for it to create black holes.

The latest news is it is out of action for at least 2 months so I'm quite happy.

BBC News

Quote him saying 15% chance. In reality, the chances are about the chance of me getting struck by lightning as Im holding a hot pocket I am about to put in the toaster oven, resulting in the first ever lightning cooked hot pocket.

Seriously, even if it created a black hole, it would be so infinitely small it would pop back out of existance before it could suck anything in.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join