It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Big Bang Machine" Breaks Down Again

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

"Big Bang Machine" Breaks Down Again

www.foxnews.com

The problem with one of the $7.2 billion accelerator's superconducting magnets means it will be impossible to stage its first trial collisions on Monday, and further delays could follow once the damage has been fully assessed.

While a faulty transformer that had hindered progress for much of the past week has now been replaced, the magnet failure is potentially more serious.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
cosmicvariance.com
news.bbc.co.uk
user.web.cern.ch

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
This is definitely not great news for the folks at CERN. What is curious about this entire incident however, is that they previously came across a Catastrophic Failure with their Magnetic System during Preliminary Testing in the Spring of 2007. Go ahead and take a look at the Additional News Link with a Statement from FERMILAB, which discusses this previous incident.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I know this isn't the reaction most people will like but everytime I hear it's broke down again I'm actually relieved I know they will fire it up eventually but I enjoy my day better knowing it's at least a week away.

This experiment has been on my mind for weeks now everyday I'm researching more reading up on Hawking Radiation and other theorys and I'm not particularly confident despite visiting physicist/skeptic forums to see what they have to say.

It's a small but very real chance the Earth may make it into the Darwin Awards.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Teknikal
I know this isn't the reaction most people will like but everytime I hear it's broke down again I'm actually relieved I know they will fire it up eventually but I enjoy my day better knowing it's at least a week away.

This experiment has been on my mind for weeks now everyday I'm researching more reading up on Hawking Radiation and other theorys and I'm not particularly confident despite visiting physicist/skeptic forums to see what they have to say.

It's a small but very real chance the Earth may make it into the Darwin Awards.

It's really not a "very real chance" I'm afraid. Remember, these scientists live on the Earth too!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Well...

This makes me feel safe knowing that this powerful of a machine is so quick to become faulty without even being in full power yet.

I think they are rushing because they are excited, but they might just regret that.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by C.C.Benjamin

It's really not a "very real chance" I'm afraid. Remember, these scientists live on the Earth too!

It's a real mathematical chance.

There are lots of Unknowns hopefully the odds are in our favour though but anyone who tells you they know for sure is a Liar.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
I wonder if they kept there reciept, dont you get a 12 month gaurentee of somekind, GAWWWD im sick of this thing is always getting delayed.

Or mabe its a distraction and they have opened up a wormhole/dimension portal, If it was me I wouldnt be telling anybody that my 7 billion dollar machine has broke down in the first few weeks.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Teknikal

It's also a real mathematical chance that when I hit the period key to end this sentence, the pressure I generate will hit a confluence of conditions just right to set off a chain reaction of atomic fusion, devouring the earth in a gigantic fireball, which will then be sucked into the sun in a slowly spinning spiral of flaming noble gasses.

Everything has a mathematical chance of happening, for the simple reason that "zero" is not a real number. This is why outside of mathematics, science talks about probability rather than absolutes.

Probability is, we won't get destroyed by CERN.
On the other hand, if we DO get destroyed by CERN, the probability is it'll happen so amazingly fast that we won't give a damn anyway.

Either way, not something to worry about.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:39 AM
link   
There was a real chance the universe would have been destroyed when they fired up the first TV.
When the LHC is on your mind all the time you are either working at cern, you are just interested in it or you are completely paranoid.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Have they got spare magnets on standby?
Because making another transformer is nothing making those custom magnets takes a little longer.
They really should have spare's like that ready especially parts that would take longer than normal to have made.
But I guess if you have double of everything then the already huge cost is doubled.
I hope they can get it replaced and fire it up on time to shut the crazy doomsdayers up once and for all.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
This makes me feel safe knowing that this powerful of a machine is so quick to become faulty without even being in full power yet.

Kinda makes me feel less safe

The fact that it is braking down when it's not even working at full capacity, makes me wonder how it will function when it's on full throttle...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox
It's also a real mathematical chance that when I hit the period key to end this sentence, the pressure I generate will hit a confluence of conditions just right to set off a chain reaction of atomic fusion, devouring the earth in a gigantic fireball, which will then be sucked into the sun in a slowly spinning spiral of flaming noble gasses.

If you say so I think the Odds of something going wrong with the LHC are much much higher though even Hawking himself gave a 15% chance for it to create black holes.

The latest news is it is out of action for at least 2 months so I'm quite happy.

BBC News

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
You know, there is a chance that all the air in my room will get sucked through my computer fans and cool down enough that it congregates on the floor, effectively denying my ability to breath the good old air I need, that is until I pass out and wind up on said floor and realize something crazy is going on here! All seriousness aside, there are chances for lots of things to happen in the world. No need to live your life in fear. Next headlines I will read "CERN LHC put on the terrorist watch list for the rampant fear caused in .095% of the population that hears its name. The US is planning a preemptive strike to take care of threat to world peace and stability."

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
this whole thing is just a waste of time and money, if the whole universe started with the "big bang" im more interested in what was there before the "bigbang"? its kinda frightning

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by altered_states
I wonder if they kept there reciept, dont you get a 12 month gaurentee of somekind, GAWWWD im sick of this thing is always getting delayed.

Or mabe its a distraction and they have opened up a wormhole/dimension portal, If it was me I wouldnt be telling anybody that my 7 billion dollar machine has broke down in the first few weeks.

Finally someone with some common sense and understanding of what the LHC is... There have been several machines similar to this one running for more than 20 years now... We are still here... Currently the RHIC is the largest collider in the world... They did the exact same thing with that machine as they are doing now... Hyping it up, and saying it will bring about the end... Give it a rest people, it has not happened, nor will it ever will. People thought the world will end on Sep. 10th... It didnt... Now they say Oct.21st... Once that doesnt happen Dec. 21st 2012 will come into play... Once that doesnt happen it will be back to the drawing boards again for most nuts who want to bring about the end... If we ever do face our apocalypse... It will be because of our own doing with military conflict than a giant collider or aliens taking over the world... Im more worried about Russia selling arms to Venezuela, Iran, and other axis of evil countries...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
1.) IF John titor was right, ie., time travel theory turned into reality using microsingularites to power a tipler cylindrical wormhole...then

2) IF you could stop CERN's LHC (like throw a wrench in the works with a virus, etc) or ....

3) IF our timeline is sufficiently different from titor's and the LHC NEVER becomes operational in our lifetimes....

then

Could we avert catastrophic nuclear war and all the other bad things supposedly coming our way?

The looking glass/ 'yellow book' that danny burisch talks a lot about supposedly came from the roswell crash. that event apparently was
a massive muck-up of timelines by future travellers (the 'ET's').

Again, IF no LHC, then no time travel, then no doomsday (At least not soon)?

Is this logical or just hopeful thinking?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by drphilxr
1.) IF John titor was right, ie., time travel theory turned into reality using microsingularites to power a tipler cylindrical wormhole...then

2) IF you could stop CERN's LHC (like throw a wrench in the works with a virus, etc) or ....

3) IF our timeline is sufficiently different from titor's and the LHC NEVER becomes operational in our lifetimes....

then

Could we avert catastrophic nuclear war and all the other bad things supposedly coming our way?

The looking glass/ 'yellow book' that danny burisch talks a lot about supposedly came from the roswell crash. that event apparently was
a massive muck-up of timelines by future travellers (the 'ET's').

Again, IF no LHC, then no time travel, then no doomsday (At least not soon)?

Is this logical or just hopeful thinking?

Interesting theory none the less... This machine won't cause a doomsday... Instead I think one of three outcomes will happen... It doesnt work, we find HIGGS BOSON/new scientific data that progresses technology insanely far, or we find nothing... I am betting on the latter... However thinking outside of the box for a minute... This could be very plausible... ''Aliens" as they are called are described as being anywhere from tall, short, lanky, sender, with large heads... There has been several articles discussing the future human... What it will look like, and how intelligent they will be... Several theories describe them almost appearing similar to what people describe the ''E.T.s" as looking like... Now think for a moment... This machine may just progress us as a civilization farther in terms of technology and understanding, and may just be a step into achieving what those ''aliens'' achieved... Time travel, interstellar travel, or progress to civilization 1,2, or 3... If indeed they are real, or more importantly future humans... Remember crop circles? Remember the genuine ones they could not explain... Several of those circles resembled models... Models of atoms, molecules, and what not... Compare those circles to proposed models of what the split atoms will look like once the LHC is at full power... They look remarkably similar... Now could this be a heads up of what to find and a hint from our futureselves paying us a visit? Or a really creative kid with too much time on his hands... Who knows... Only time will tell...

[edit on 09/23/1989 by ki11ma11]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Kinda makes me feel less safe

The fact that it is braking down when it's not even working at full capacity, makes me wonder how it will function when it's on full throttle...

Same here. No one knows what could happen if it has a malfunction at full power.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

This thing is supposed to collide particles at high speed so it seems to me if it malfunctions at full power your particles wont collide, meaning nothing will happen except for maybe destroying itself.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
more than likely what will happen is a emergency shutdown and if that doesnt work then the magnetic fields generated to contain the beams will fail and the machine itself will shutdown from hardware failure. that will then cause the machine to not have power to produce the beams... therefore i highly doubt anything will happen... but there is noway to be certain...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join