It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will NASA cause a shuttle "accident" to distract from election, etc.??!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Quite correct. I thought those mushrooms on my burger tonite might have turned.

Thank you for the correction.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

i agree the OP really should have done some research on the subject.

The OP should have also seen that the hubble mission was suppose to have already launched But because of problems with producing the external tank for the backup shuttle the mission was put back then all the storms in the gulf forced nasa to take the shuttles back to the VAB. Now the payload for STS-126 (Endeavour) won't be loaded until saturday now. Yes if they have to launch the rescue shuttle it will go up with the payload it is suppose to carry on STS-126 and the 2 crews will have to carry it to the ISS and do its mission.

so taking all that into account the fact that atlantis will launch 25 days before the election is just a coincidence. and the OP is reaching

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

Decided to respond to this post before going to bed... haha... Of course something like this is in the "Columbia Accident Review" because we ALL know that NASA will forever take head to the possibility of foam insulation falling off of the shuttle and just simply reroute them to the nearest space telescope or satellite and await a rescue mission...

Oh, that's right, nearly every single mission SINCE Colombia has reported the same problems and continued on to land quite peacefully.

I have no problems with the original post, as far as the factual context is concerned, I simply think that his/her "theory" is ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Here's a link telling the history of endeavour,

www.nasa.gov...

And atlantis,
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 20-9-2008 by peacejet]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Do you know why they all of a sudden had so many problems with that #ty foam insulation?

Because some environmentalist junky told them not to use cfc's anymore.

They used to be white, now they are orange. A kinder, deadlier foam junk that can cripple a shuttle.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

The foam installation is not orange in color, the external tank is painted in that colour, nasa has been having the problem with foams since the beginning of the shuttles, only now it is causing serious problems to the shuttle program itself.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
every shuttle mission has reported foam strikes. Just Columbia forced nasa to admit it. It was only a matter of time before a piece of foam created a bowling ball sized hole in the shuttle. If they would have put the backup shuttle requirment in place along time ago we wouldn't have this thread right now

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Well, I've never heard that before, but that seems silly to me.

Why in the hell would NASA give a damn what some hippy told them. rocket science yields to nobody. Especially when said rocket science LITERALLY is paving the way for future American imperialism. (not saying that I agree with the imperialism, I'm just stating the obvious, least to me.)

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
You may very well be correct sir. My readings have pointed at the discontinued use of cfc component material.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-in-AR
reply to post by jpm1602

Well, I've never heard that before, but that seems silly to me.

Why in the hell would NASA give a damn what some hippy told them. rocket science yields to nobody. Especially when said rocket science LITERALLY is paving the way for future American imperialism. (not saying that I agree with the imperialism, I'm just stating the obvious, least to me.)

Are you saying that rocket science is useless then how will you have internet communication and GPS and digital TV and cellular phones.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mercenary2007

You're absolutely right. You know what, I'm very tired. I need to get off of this topic.

Hell, it took me 20 minutes to read the OPs weblink. I was arguing on his form rather than his substance.

I probably won't, though. I'll continue to monitor the topics I'm engaged in until I pass out. I'm such a geek. haha.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

I didn't say that at all.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I have no beef with you peacejet nor problem with you. I am relaying what I have read in the past. If I am wrong, which I am more than right by all means correct me.
Peace.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

No, please dont mistake me, I just wanted to say that rocket science is not useless, it is not the about cfc post you have made, please once again dont mistake me.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:15 AM
link   
yeah same here its bed time but i just can't seem to will myself to get off the computer and go to bed. But this is one night i actually have time to sit down and contribute something. its been to nice here lately if you can dodge the hurricanes to stay inside.

I hope they don't have to launch Endeavour as a rescue but it would be cool to see two shuttles in space at the same time before they are grounded

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I'll go ahead and say, and with all due appologies to the OP, *if* NASA engineers a shuttle disaster to delay the elections I'll be the first to come here and videotape myself eating my hat... Hell, I'll eat my underwear also... and THEN I'll volunteer to lead the march on 1600 Pennsylvania Ave..

That'll have to do for now. If that isn't good enough, I don't know what to tell you.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
I'll Bite OP. how are they going to pull this Off. they can't use a foam strike. MAybe when they are trying to retrieve the hubble It will smash into the shuttle and damage it that way. However Atlantis is the only shuttle that can reach Hubbles orbit the others are too light. meaning they can't carry enough fuel to reach Hubbles orbit. and if they can reach Hubbles orbit they can't stay long before they run out of fuel. (atlantis has the bigger fuel tanks and will use almost 50% of their fuel just getting their.) Its not the luck of the drawl that Atlantis is the shuttle that launched hubble, and has done every servicing mission.

So please enlighten us how will they pull it off?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Of course rocket science is not useless. However, this is a dangerous mission. And NASA know that.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jpm1602

Yes, I accept that and thats why they have the rescue ship, but one question is hitting me now only, what if the rescue ship is also damaged during the liftoff of the rescue mission,

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

If something were to happen to the rescue shuttle they could rescue the atlantis crew then dock with the ISS and stay there until Nasa could get a third shuttle up to rescue them or bring supplies to fix that shuttle.

Unless it explodes on liftoff. then all bets are off on what would happen but it wouldn't be good.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Mercenary2007]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join