It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will NASA cause a shuttle "accident" to distract from election, etc.??!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The following article just appeared on Yahoo; Space shuttle moved to launch pad as rescue ship

The part I found really interesting??

"This will be an emotional thing," Leinbach said.

Such a rescue would put four more astronauts at risk and would mean the end of Atlantis, and undoubtedly the space shuttle program, which is set to be phased out in 2010. Atlantis would be sent into the Pacific once its astronauts were aboard Endeavour.

It would rank right up there with the drama of Apollo 13, said Ed Mango, Atlantis' launch director. For Leinbach, who would head up the rescue launch, it would be the most important thing NASA has ever done, period.

Altman realizes that if pressed into service, Endeavour might not get off in time. Storms or a last-second engine shutdown could keep it grounded.

"There's no guarantee it would get there," Altman said in an interview with The Associated Press. "On the other hand, you look at how many things would have to go wrong to make it not possible to pull off. ...

"There's a scenario out there that doesn't have a happy ending, and I think we all have to come to grips with that before launch."

SO, here is my theory...
The markets are collapsing, war is imminent, there is a huge election..... and what?

This happens. A drama that unfolds over a period of weeks. The ultimate news/political/patriotic/world peace inspiring/distracting thing of all time!!!

All I have left is to tie it into Project Blue Beam, and the 2012 events...

Now let's just remember this fact right here...

They would be stranded on their spacecraft at the Hubble, where NASA estimates they could stay alive for 25 days. Air would be the first to go.

And lift off is when?

On Friday, Endeavour was parked at its launch pad just a mile from where Atlantis is tentatively set to lift off on Oct. 10.

And the election is when?

November 4th.

Which is 25 days later......

-Jason

[edit on 19-9-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Let us not forget that the LHC will also be colliding at the same timeframe...

I know this is out there, but so was the theory of a war in a far off land, just to allow the funneling of Billions into the worlds central banks and families...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Dude, you are stretching things quite a bit. It only takes THREE days to get from HERE to the MOON.

Aside from that, the SLHC is set to fire beams together BEFORE the shuttle is "due" to take off...

Aside from the mistakes in your post, what in the heck are you talking about anyhow? What is this rescue mission about?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-in-AR

Well, "Dude", if you had read the article in question, (hint: it's blue and you can click on it to take you to the full article. Once there, read left to right, top to bottom. There are many ideas on that page, but they are separated into handy paragraph's, useful for needed breaks in concentration) You would see that the rescue effort could be delayed by weather, especially as that time of year is bad for such windows of opportunity. It could easily stretch into a three week Drama, as noted by the STAFF AT NASA.

As for the LHC, that was a little add-on.

Good day, sir.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by jasonjnelson]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
My recollection is that it is a planned mission to practice crew transfers. They have room for more astronauts then they launch with. I think they have jumpseats or something.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

I appreciate that, however, I started this thread based on the article that appeared on yahoo.
news.yahoo.com...

It is not a training exercise. They have never done this before. I just think it beyond coincidental, thats all.

Imagine if the "window" of weather doesn't open until the last minute? (aren't there all sorts of threads on HAARP?)

I'm just commenting on the contextual style of the article.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
They have the 2nd shuttle ready to go because Atlantis is going to Hubble which is in a higher orbit than the ISS. If something were to happen to Atlantis during liftoff or while in space Nasa would launch Endeavour as a rescue boat. Because Atlantis would not beable to reach the ISS.

Nasa has never done this before because they were never required to do it. But after the Columbia accident Congress made it a requirement that the shuttle crew would have to stay on the ISS until Nasa could launch a rescue mission to bring them home. another requirement they made was on any shuttle mission not going to the ISS and would not be able to make it back to the ISS Nasa must have a 2nd shuttle on standby before the primary shuttle could launch.

Your reaching way to much and a little research on your part would have put any concerns you had at ease.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
How about instead of questioning MY intelligence in my response to YOUR thread, you answer me what YOU are implying with this commentary?! Like I said, I have a hard time understanding what you are even talking about. (not to mention the U2U)... You think it is beyond coincidental and that's all.

This COULDN'T be simply a training event. ...

Odd, the entire shuttle program is one that is, fundamentally ran, out of the USAF... Having done a little time in the military myself, I can assure you that they run simulations on speculated events all the time.
If they simply ran hindsight type events calculated to correct errors already made, they wouldn't be the best in the world.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I have one question, in case something goes wrong with atlantis the astronauts will be rescued to endeavour and that atlantis would be deorbited and burned in the atmosphere over the pacific ocean. How is this possible, wont the heat shield protect it even if it is half damaged, and why dont they consider using the sticky glue wwhich they used to stick tiles on STS-121 by means of a additional EVA.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   
On a side note, I find it odd that lately NASA has been publicizing its contingency plans publicly as if they expect a disaster at any time. Not implicating anything, just saying that this is highly unusual to me.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Good question the answer is yes tthe heat sheild would protect the shuttle if Nasa brought it back into earths atmosphere the correct way (ie. heat shield down.) However they would probably invert the shuttle so the heat sheild was facing away from earth and our atmosphere. therefore causing the shuttle to burn up.

The fixes that are currently in use are for small holes in the heat shield not holes the size that caused Columbia to breakup on re entry.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

This plan is in the Columbia accident review. i can get you a link if you want.

I think the reason they are talking about it is because they have been questions about why they have 2 shuttles on the pad.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:27 AM
link   

The reason for the publicity is that hubble is one of the best telescopes we have and the public are worried about the safety of the astronauts during the mission and thats why they have publicized the resue plan in a hope that the anxiety will be reduced.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I had started a thread earlier about their resuce plan and the webpage of the nasa linked shows the sequence of the rescue mission, but the thread didnt get a lot of attention, here take a look,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mercenary2007
However they would probably invert the shuttle so the heat sheild was facing away from earth and our atmosphere. therefore causing the shuttle to burn up.

Do you think that the onboard computer which is preprogrammed for all the functions will accept the override because the technology is so outdated.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Do you think that the onboard computer which is preprogrammed for all the functions will accept the override because the technology is so outdated.

LMAO Yeah that outdated computer will accept it they'll take the computer offline afterwards so it can't correct itself. or Nasa will keep it in orbit until its about to run out of power then invert it so the computer can't fix it.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Mercenary2007]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   
That's great to hear, but sad that the shuttle will be burned up if anything wrong happens, Atlantis is one of the greatest shuttles after discovery and it is famous for launching galileo to jupiter

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:44 AM
link   
.exe manual override

Sure it will. No, I understand the implications of a hypothetical emergency training situation. My problem was with the thread opening piece that was chalked FULL of logically inconclusional speculation, imo. Anywho, moving on.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Another shuttle 'reliance'? is now on deck on 39b launch pad for liftoff if need for emergency assistance. Only 17th time in 29 yr history of shuttle for this.

Primary shuttle has a 1/58 chance of encountering shield damaging debris due to a higher orbit necessary to accomodate repair to hubble.

It had to be signed off on at the highest echelon of NASA for clearance.

I wish and pray thee well.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Another shuttle 'reliance'? is now on deck on 39b launch pad for liftoff if need for emergency assistance.

Isnt the shuttle on 39B endeavour and the shuttle going to hubble is Atlantis.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join