It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melonheads--cryptid, encephalitic freaks, or urban legend?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
There is a story near where I live about melonheads, tiny humanoid creatures with big heads that supposedly live in the Allegan woods and watch people from behind trees or near the edge of the roads and make screaming noises at night if someone gets near them. I recently tried finding information on the melonhead legend online and found that there are also stories about them in the northeastern part of Ohio in a town called Kirtland. The stories there explain that they were most likely encephalitic kids that were experimented on by someone named Dr. Crowe, which then burned his house down and escaped into the woods. I haven't been able to verify this story with any actual records. There aren't any stories like that as far as I have heard about the Allegan woods melonheads. However, there is a mansion that was built in the 20's (Felt Mansion, which is also said to be haunted) that had a zoo built next to it on the edge of the woods with cages that were cement caverns sunk into the side of a hill on the road to the mansion. There is a story that after the family moved and the zoo cages were abandoned that the melonheads lived in them. The cages are now filled with sand and overgrown, but people still claim to see the melonheads in the woods around that area. I have been there many times, and sometimes feel like I'm being watched and I have also heard footsteps in the leaves like someone was following me. I've never seen anything though.

Has anybody here ever heard of the melonheads? And does anybody know if there are any pictures anywhere that are supposed to be of the melonheads? It sounds like an urban legend to me, but the story is localized to specific areas so I thought maybe there is some truth hidden behind the stories.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Never herd of them and I live in Ohio (Not in that area)! all I knew of them there was a band names the Melon heads but that was it! But that is a freaky legend....and all I found were like illustration for the pages but no real pictures.

But I did find this site did you look at it?

www.weirdnj.com...

also this one: creepycleveland.neopages.net...

And here is a picture of a kid with hydrocephalus, if they are real this is most likely what they would look like:

www.paul..._smith.doctors.org.uk/images/hydrocephalus.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't help out more....

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Curiosity
Never herd of them and I live in Ohio (Not in that area)! all I knew of them there was a band names the Melon heads but that was it! But that is a freaky legend....and all I found were like illustration for the pages but no real pictures.

But I did find this site did you look at it?

www.weirdnj.com...

also this one: creepycleveland.neopages.net...

And here is a picture of a kid with hydrocephalus, if they are real this is most likely what they would look like:

www.paul..._smith.doctors.org.uk/images/hydrocephalus.jpg

I'm sorry I couldn't help out more....

Yeah, I already found the pages on the melonheads that you have links for. I've found a few others too, but mostly they are just the same story. I can't seem to find any hard evidence for what they really are though. I can't even link them to any people that might have lived in the areas with medical problems. I'm thinking it's probably all a bunch of caca.

That picture of the baby with hydrocephalus is freaky. I could see how that would spark off stories if some kids saw that.

Thanks!

join