It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MORE Palin email insanity??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- He's the man Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin affectionately calls her "first dude."

Todd Palin was introduced to the nation at the Republican National Convention as a blue-collar oil worker, a laid-back father of five and a world-record-holding snowmobile racer.

Todd and Sarah met in high school at a basketball game and eloped in 1988, six years after graduation. Todd grew up in Alaska and is part Eskimo. He's an avid outdoorsman and champion of the Iron Dog snowmobile race.

He's worked in Alaska's oil industry and as a fisherman. But in recent times, he's had another role. Some call him the "Shadow Governor."

*snip*

CNN has seen thousands of e-mails released this year from the governor's office that show that Todd Palin was copied on hundreds of them. The topics of the e-mails ranged from public criticism of Sarah Palin to her meetings with corporate leaders.

Andrew Halcro, who ran as an independent against Sarah Palin for governor in 2006 and is a critic of the Palins, wants to know why Todd Palin was being copied on state correspondence.

Halcro wrote a blog post about Todd Palin called "Shadow Governor" and says, "Todd plays the role as kind of the fixer."

Even Halcro found himself the subject of e-mails that Todd Palin was copied on. He wants to know why.

"This whole process, and the whole string of e-mails, to me really raise some red flags," Halcro said.

WTF? I don't understand how that can be legal AT ALL. Most of us would be in trouble or at least told to stop if we were continually copying our spouses on business emails from work. Every day I am more and more amazed at how this woman feels like they are above process and can run the government on myspace if she wants.

Then there's this....

He's not on the state payroll, but lawmakers say he is a central figure in his wife's policy agenda.

Stephen Branchflower is one man who certainly thinks so. Branchflower was hired by the Alaska Legislature to investigate Governor Palin's firing of the state's top cop - Walt Monegan - and whether the Palins pressured him to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, trooper Mike Wooten.

*snip*

Branchflower wants to subpoena Todd Palin because the governor's husband "has spoken to numerous government employees. ... He's such a central figure to the events."

Sarah Palin has denied exerting any pressure to have anyone fired. Todd Palin hasn't spoken publicly about the case, but his wife's attorney said Thursday Mr Palin would not comply with the subpoena request. The McCain campaign said the Legislative Council was no longer carrying out "a legitimate investigation because it has been subjected to complete partisanship and does not operate with the authority that it had at the time of its initial authorization."

www.cnn.com...

So he can just "not comply" to legal subpoenas? Okay, I'll remember that if I'm ever recieve a subpoena since he's no more a legal part of the government than I am. McCain's choice for VP never ceases to amaze me.

As crazy as it is to hear myself say this, but if they're elected I think alot of us are going to miss Bush. I don't like the choices at all this election, but at this point I will probably end up gambling on Obama (if our votes even count of course) or just not voting because even though I disagree with him on some things, we NEED substantial change and McCain is not enough of a change, especially with Palin on board.

At least Bush is funny as he destroys the world, kinda like Dr. Evil.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Again, this woman isn't fit to be lower management let alone VP

That's total incompetence and inexcusable.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is the tip of the iceberg.
But it's nice to see it's getting some exposure. Palin's entire staff have said that they won't be honoring the subpoenas.

The list of still-secret emails includes a series of messages that circulated on February 1, 2008, among Palin, Bailey, Frye, and Todd Palin "re Andrew Halcro." A former Republican, Halcro ran as an independent against Palin for governor in 2006, collecting only 9 percent of the vote. Since then he has been a blogger who often criticizes Palin. There is no telling what the emails said about Halcro. But in a July blog posting, Halcro asked, "why in the world is Todd Palin getting copied on emails [about me] that his wife's administration is classifying as confidential....These emails should be released to the public....after all Todd Palin has no standing to claim executive privilege. By including him in the email loop, the Palin administration has arguably breached any claim of executive privilege." And McLeod wonders, "What do emails about Andrew Halcro have to do with policy deliberations?"

The list of confidential emails includes a number of communications related to the Public Safety Employees Association, a union for the state's police officers and state troopers, and the headings refer to PSEA ads and a "PR campaign." Many of these PSEA-related emails were CC'ed to Todd Palin—and were also withheld under the deliberative process and executive privileges. (Recently, John Cyr, the PSEA executive director, told The Washington Post that Sarah Palin held a grudge against the state troopers and held down their salaries and other funding because her ex-brother-in-law-the-trooper had not been fired.) A separate email sent from Frye to Bailey and Todd Palin and headed "I may be in trouble here guys" was withheld because it involves a personnel matter. In April, a series of emails with the subject line "from Sheila Toomey" zipped between Sarah Palin, Bailey, Frye, other Palin aides, and Todd Palin. Toomey writes the "Alaska Ear" political gossip column for the Anchorage Daily News. These emails were also withheld under the deliberative process and executive privileges. And a string of emails titled "Racism on the Radio" that went back and forth between Governor Palin and her aides was blocked from release on the same grounds.

Source

Remember when Bush used a personal email account to avoid disclosure rules? Yeah. Same thing happened to him. Nothing.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 27jd
So he can just "not comply" to legal subpoenas? Okay, I'll remember that if I'm ever recieve a subpoena since he's no more a legal part of the government than I am. McCain's choice for VP never ceases to amaze me.

From what I've read, I only see where the attorney indicates that he will not comply. There is no indication from Mr. Palin, that if a subpoena was issued, that he would not comply, so the point is moot until it happens. I chalk this up to attorney speak.

The copying of emails shouldnt be done, I agree. However, I don't think it uncommon for spouses to play some role in office, whether public (like Hillary and her health care initiative when her husband was in office) or private. It would be naive to think that a spouse's input doesn't affect to a degree the decision making process of the individual in office.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Todd Palin Refuses to Testify

Mr Palin has refused to comply with a subpoena issued over the investigation.

Just giving you a link.

Palin's Staff Refuse to Testify

Or two.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
However, I don't think it uncommon for spouses to play some role in office, whether public (like Hillary and her health care initiative when her husband was in office) or private. It would be naive to think that a spouse's input doesn't affect to a degree the decision making process of the individual in office.

I don't know if you work in an office, but if you do, is it common place there for management to copy their husbands/wives on company emails?? Do you think other employees who have worked there just as long as those managers appreciate it if somebody's spouse who doesn't even work there is making more policy decisions than they are?? I know Palin cans anybody who speaks against her, but if she was working for a major business she would not be able to do that. This is wrong on SO many levels....

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If this was Obama, the republicans would be up in arms, it would be all over msm, and the libs would be facing charges. Instead we find that the republins chalk this up as digging dirt on Palin.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
You forgot the first sentence I wrote about this.

I dont' agree with it.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   

I don't know if you work in an office, but if you do, is it common place there for management to copy their husbands/wives on company emails?? Do you think other employees who have worked there just as long as those managers appreciate it if somebody's spouse who doesn't even work there is making more policy decisions than they are?? I know Palin cans anybody who speaks against her, but if she was working for a major business she would not be able to do that. This is wrong on SO many levels....

Isn't this the chick that has stated "I can see Russia from my house" and is apparently the commander in chief of the military there in Alaska? How can someone claim it's acceptable to send out e-mails to someone that has no business reading them when it might include sensitive government information?

While I think it's common that spouses will tell their significant other about their work, office politics, and what is going on, I don't think it's common or condoned to forward e-mails or letters to people that aren't in the office, I am pretty sure that would have you losing your job. There are usually non-disclosure agreements that must be signed, and I would think a government position like that would have them like any other job.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by davion]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by davion]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is stupid...of course her spouse should be able to know whats going on....HELLO...the presidents...not just BUSH...share NATIONAL agendas with their spouses. Look at the Clintons..she knew about EVERYTHING...they get the clearences due to being the spouse. Maybe its time someone in this JOKE of a government started talking about issues with some they love and trust (aka..spouse) rather then these complete idiots in office who try to steer them to make decisions that pay off for them...and NOT us...the PEOPLE....

I for one could give two poops about her husband reading her emails....and anyone who does makes no sence. What a life...Hi I am your political represenative and now that I am in office will have no contact with my spouse about anything I do....yeah OK...yet more people making something out of absoulutly NOTHING!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I for one could give two poops about her husband reading her emails....and anyone who does makes no sence.

Don't worry we are WELL aware of that. There is nothing Palin could possibly do that would be wrong in your eyes. If you think there's nothing wrong with copying people who have NO business being copied, good for you. This thread isn't about making sense of those who give "two poops" about possibly the next VP behaving this way, but thanks for your input.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 27jd

No. It is not common place, nor acceptable, in any business for a high ranking employee to carbon copy an email regarding official business to a person who isn't employed there.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
No. It is not common place, nor acceptable, in any business for a high ranking employee to carbon copy an email regarding official business to a person who isn't employed there.

Trust me, lol...I know. Me AND my lady work for one of the main health insurance companies here in the U.S. If we were to cc each other on ANY of our business related emails we would be told not to at the very least, because my position has nothing to do with hers. I was asking that rhetorically of the poster who said that was normal, lol. Guess I should have been more clear.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by 27jd]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   

I was asking that rhetorically of the poster who said that was normal, lol. Guess I should have been more clear.
[edit on 19-9-2008 by 27jd]

I take it that you are referencing my post. My comment wasn't about 'cc'ing' emails and I stated that I did not agree with this pactice. I was making a generalized comment about spouses having influence in the decision making process, whether public or private.

It helps to read posts in the context they are written.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
This is the tip of the iceberg.
But it's nice to see it's getting some exposure. Palin's entire staff have said that they won't be honoring the subpoenas.

What is the point of the subpoena itself when the average joe has to comply or be in civil contempt; yet the elite and the governing "class" can brush them aside as they are un-important. Is it just because they can afford expensive lawyers who are able to circumvent the subpoena in a legal fashion?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
What scares me is the idea that McCain/Palin get elected, McCain dies, and we end up with the President relying on the "first dude" to run the country.

Pot will be legalized, but that's about the only bright point.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Just think what an ex-KGB man like Putin would do with a dingbat like this in the White House, let alone the governorship of their nearest US state.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freenrgy2
My comment wasn't about 'cc'ing' emails and I stated that I did not agree with this pactice. I was making a generalized comment about spouses having influence in the decision making process, whether public or private.

I think I just misunderstood this part...

However, I don't think it uncommon

I knew you disagreed with it, I guess I misunderstood the rest as stating it is wrong, but not uncommon to copy a spouse on company business emails. I've worked in office settings pretty much my entire working life and I've never seen that, nor would it be permitted. If she goes home and confides in him and gets advice, that's no big deal and you're right, not uncommon at all. But copying him on official emails is crazy and probably even illegal if you dig deep enough into government regulations. But I apologize for misunderstanding you.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
An example of why business accounts should be used for business emails:

The information contained in this email and any attachments may be confidential and is provided solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, or use of this e-mail, its attachments or any information contained therein is unauthorized and prohibited. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete this e-mail and any attachments.

No responsibility is accepted for any virus or defect that might arise from opening this e-mail or attachments, whether or not it has been checked by anti-virus software.

This is a common attachment to the bottom of any official business email account.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
I for one could give two poops about her husband reading her emails....and anyone who does makes no sence. What a life...Hi I am your political represenative and now that I am in office will have no contact with my spouse about anything I do....yeah OK...yet more people making something out of absoulutly NOTHING!!!

Ya know, I tried to let this go and not get sucked into a crap fest, but I really can't help but point out that copying a non-government email address on official internal business is very likely I-L-L-E-G-A-L. You know what that word is, since I believe you have stated that you were previously in law enforcement. Let's try what you said, but make a couple changes....

"I for one could give two poops about somebody smoking a joint in the privacy of their own home....and anyone who does makes no sence. What a life...Hi I am a human being that happened to be born into a “free society” and now that I am I will have no choice as to what kind of poisons I put into my body, only government approved poisons....yeah OK...yet more people making laws based on racism and greed!!!"

I guess in your eyes there are varying forms of "illegal", depending on the perps social status and whether or not you approve of their actions personally.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join