It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA to Discuss Conditions on and Surrounding the Sun

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

NASA to Discuss Conditions on and Surrounding the Sun

www.prne wswire.com

WASHINGTON, Sept. 18 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- NASA will hold a media
teleconference Tuesday, Sept. 23, at 12:30 p.m. EDT, to discuss data from
the joint NASA and European Space Agency Ulysses mission that reveals the
sun's solar wind is at a 50-year low. The sun's current state could result
in changing conditions in the solar system.

Ulysses was the first mission to survey the space environment above and
below the poles of the sun. The reams of data Ulysses returned have changed
forever the way scientists view our star and its effects. The venerable
spacecraft has lasted more than 17 years -- almost four times its expected
mission lifetime
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am very interested in what they have to say but being NASA if it was bad news, do you really think we will get the whole story? I have always believed that the sun has a major impact on Earth and if the Sun is going through major changes, is it not fair to assume that majors changes are in store for Earth?

www.prne wswire.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
one interesting affect of the solar wind is that it strengthens the earths magnetosphere-the shield we have against dangerous radiation.
the solar wind does this by creating additional charge when the plamsa collides with the magnetosphere thus strengthning it.

thus this may be a factor in why the magnetosphere is so weak at the moment.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, I know the fact that there have been zero sunspots for over a month may be discussed.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Given the last time this happened we saw the Mini Ice Age... Things may take a turn for the cooler 'round these parts, eh?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   
here is some interesting facts...

December 13, 2004 ‘Ultrasound’ May Explain Solar Weather Mystery

Astronomers have identified ultrasoundlike waves in our sun’s atmosphere that could explain some strange aspects of solar weather. An analysis of data from NASA’s TRACE spacecraft published in the current issue of Astrophysical Journal Letters suggests that the waves could be responsible for the star’s unexplained extra heat.The surface of the sun reaches a blistering 6,000 degrees Celsius. The chromosphere, or middle solar atmosphere, is even more scorching at 100,000 degrees Celsius, whereas the solar corona is the hottest part of all, with temperatures nearing a million degrees Celsius. Just what causes these wide discrepancies in temperature has intrigued researchers for decades. Craig DeForest of the Southwest Research Institute and his colleagues analyzed data from the TRACE ultraviolet telescope and found evidence of waves with a frequency of 100 millihertz, which corresponds to a sound 300 times deeper than the lowest noise audible to the human ear. “These ripples seem to be carrying about one kilowatt of power per square meter on the surface of the sun,” says DeForest. “That is similar to the sonic energy you might find coming out of the speakers at a rock concert. “The researchers did not get a very detailed look at the waves, because they are close to TRACE’s detection limit. They expect that future instruments will allow them to investigate the waves more fully. “By examining these waves more closely, we should be able to discern the source of energy release in the solar atmosphere, just like you can tell by listening whether the car is running in a dark garage,” says DeForest. “In both cases, something is releasing energy into the environment, and that release has a recognizable sonic signature.” — Sarah Graham

Now, in a letter published on December 10th in Astrophysical Journal Letters, researchers report that the Sun's atmosphere is filled with ultrasound-like waves at a frequency of about 100 millihertz - every ten seconds. "At 10-second period, these waves qualify as ultrasound because individual atoms on the Sun experience only a few collisions during the brief passage of each wave, just as with ultrasound here on Earth," says Dr. Craig DeForest, a senior research scientist in the SwRI Space Science and Engineering Division. DeForest found the signature in data collected in January 2003 in the TRACE program.

www.space.com...

so it is possible to manipulate the parameters of the sun with ultrasound that is hard to detect with current technology.

thus it also possible by those who have the capability to ,to control the output of the sun(hotter or colder) with ultrasound we find hard to detect without creating technology designed just for that purpose.

and we have ultrasound waves permeating the sun in regular intervals of ten seconds.....kinda regular isnt it?.

ive heard reports that the solar system as a whole has been heating up in a way that cannot be explained,not just earth,could this be artificial induced by ultra sound solar manipulation?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   
HAHAHAHA, ten bucks they realize something BIG is happening. They have known about it for quite a long time. Why else would you party like its 1999 in the financials.

I'm saying it now, and you can hold me to it:

Something f@cking big is coming, and they have known about it, and continuity of government DOES NOT include the masses. Hell for all I know the "Gods" are really coming back... as mother shipton and others have spoken about...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
In any case it looks like the whole global warming thing is about to go quietly into the night.
I find it really fascinating that the current solar cycle seems to be on hold.
It's maximum was supposed to be around 2012, but now it's almost like the sun is holding its breath...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It puts me in the mind of a baby just before birth. It`s very very active up to the time of birth, then all at once, it gets real still. It makes one wonder what the next process is.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MrVertigo

The alarmists no longer refer to it as "Global Warming". Now its called "Climate Change" because that better covers all the bases. Climate Change--duh! The Earth's climate is ALWAYS CHANGING as it ALWAYS HAS!

I see this as nothing but a progression to a different part of a natural cycle. Nobody has proof otherwise. Say, this is a 500 year pattern. Did we have the instruments and knowledge we have now--500 years ago? No. Science is never as smart as it thinks it is....

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Soon they will be telling us how mankind has caused the sun to change. After this they will have to ration sunlight. It is clearly Bush's fault.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Now this turns the 'global warming myth' into the 'climate change reality'. How convinient. CreeWolf !!! You are not wrong there. If the suns heat can be measured with sound detectors (microphones) then maybe it's possible that if we create sound waves (speakers) on earth they can influence the suns heat. Maybe our technology does interfere with the sun. Anyone up to study this closer. A paper called "How man manipultes the elctromagnetic spectrum on earth to influence the sun"

I think we should seriously look into this. Chaos Theory ? Butterfly and Monsun anology ?

Scary &%#@ if you ask me.

Good luck to you all.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I actuall wante to go to bed now, but I need to get this qustions of my chest first.

1. Am I nuts ? (self-explanatory when reading the following questions)
2. Does the manipulated electromagnetic spectrum influence the sun ?
3. Do satellites send out signals to the sun as well ?
4. Are these signals strong enough ?
5. Is there an amplifying factor we need to take into consideration in space ?
6. If we could regulate the sun to regulate climate on earth, should we ?
7, Can I go to bed now and you tell me by tomorrow that the answer to question 1 is yes and I am banned from ATS for insanity ?

Good luck to you all

sty

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   
well.. 90% of the history of the Earth was ice Age, and 10% warm periods like the one that started our civilization. So there is a possibility we are heading for the next ice age - this would mean survival not possible in the temperate/cold actual regions

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Considering the sun send out the equivolent of like 1 billion nukes a second, I don't think you have to worry about satelites having any sort of effect on the sun.

It seems to be only me, but I've been pretty concerned over the past year that the sunspots haven't started up again. With the peak in 2011 or 2012, there really should be more sunspots. The marander minimum, whatever it is called, was marked by low sunspot activity which is sort of interesting...

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jwstarry

Good find, I agree that it may be something 'big' on the horizon. But for us, something big going on with the sun could be our demise, so I really can't say that I am looking forward to the annoucement of what it is. Keep us posted though. Star for you!

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I like the cold, and despise the summer.

Is solar-wind the same as the solar flare cycle that is supposed to peak at 2012-2010?

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Scarily, this reminds me of the old saying, 'The calm before the storm!'

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12

It seems to be only me, but I've been pretty concerned over the past year that the sunspots haven't started up again. With the peak in 2011 or 2012, there really should be more sunspots. The marander minimum, whatever it is called, was marked by low sunspot activity which is sort of interesting...

Fear not! All is as it should be (more or less).

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Awww heck, y'all should know by now that the SUN has absolutely no influence on the Earth whatsoever at all!!!

But the United States of America, with all its SUVs and wastefullness, and the Bush Administration.. is the cause of all the "Global Climate Changes" that are currently happening... This has been "proven" without a doubt by a "scientific concensious"

So even though there is basically no sun spot activities, and a lack of solar winds. This has absolutely no impact on the earth at all..

However, the fact that the U.S.A. is still using so much fossil fuels, and SUVs, and Bush is still in the White House, This is probably contributing to the suns lack of activity..

So the best option to fix this, Is to have a solar flare and solar wind "offset" So I am willing to accept your donations to "offset" theese problems by starting up a program that will "borrow" Solar flares from the nearest sun, "other than our SOL" for a nominal fee... (same goes for the solar winds)

Also I will trade our deficet to other "hyperactive" solar systems for a small fee, sort of like the Carbon credit Scheme that is currently under progress...

Anyway thank you (OP) for bringing this news to us all, I find it very interesting and frightening at the same time.. (not to mention possibly financially profitable)...... LOL

[edit on 20-9-2008 by SideWynder]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Did any of you see the report from the farmers almanac. It is saying we are going into a 50 year cooling period. It is supposed to be one of the worst winters ever recorded in the NE. The reason they give is solar activity will be down. Wonder is this has to do with solar winds too. And yes it is climate change, not global warming. At least not global warming caused by us. Of course we still should cut emissions and try to not pollute the earth. I for one do not want to breathe in all this pollution. However, humans have nothing to do with the change in temperature. It is all cyclical. We all know Global Warming is a hundreds of billions of dollar business. It is probably second to the oil industry. Think of all the jobs or money lost if global warming was proven to be false.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join