It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water in the stars????

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Hi everyone, came across this in the nasa website.

It is about a star HH 211-mm and it seems to have a mysterious jet emitting from it, and the jet from this star hit another star in its path and spitzers analysis indicates the presence of fast spinning molecules of water from the young star which was hit.

To the astronomers' surprise, Spitzer picked up the signature of rapidly spinning fragments of water molecules, called hydroxyl, or OH. In fact, the hydroxyl molecules have absorbed so much energy (through a process called excitation) that they are rotating around with energies equivalent to 28,000 Kelvin (27,700 degrees Celsius). This far exceeds normal expectations for gas streaming out of a stellar jet. Water, which is abbreviated H2O, is made up of two oxygen atoms and one hydrogen; hydroxyl, or OH, contains one oxygen and one hydrogen atom.

So, how can stars contain water in them when the temperature on the surface itself exceeds the melting point of water.

Here's the link,

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
They arent saying the star contains liquid or any other type of water. just fragments on a molecular level...

it actually makes sense if you really think about it. that a relatively young star would have compounds like that since it hasn't been burning long enough to get down to the heavier elements....

I'm no scientist but it makes sense to me...

Good Post

Peace

Justice

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ...and justice for some

No, you arent understanding my point I accept that heavier elements might not have been produced considering the age of the star, but surely the star must have temperature greater than that of the melting point of ice crystals and liquid water and so the ice crystal would have melted, but the jet is releasing ice crystals from the surface of the warm star how is this possible?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by peacejet

The ice isn't contained in the star, but are on dust particles near the star.

As noted in the article, our Sun does a similar thing to the water-ice that is loacted on a comet when the comet gets too close to the Sun.

By the way, water is still H2O, even when has been boiled away into water vapor (although this article is talikng about OH, not H2O.)

[edit on 9/19/2008 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Ok, I see your point, if he was mentioning of OH then why is there a useless mentioning of Water in the title of the web page itself.

Opinion please

new topics

top topics

join