It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Hard Times, Tent Cities Rise Across The Country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   

In Hard Times, Tent Cities Rise Across The Country

ap.google.com

From Seattle to Athens, Ga., homeless advocacy groups and city agencies are reporting the most visible rise in homeless encampments in a generation.

Nearly 61 percent of local and state homeless coalitions say they've experienced a rise in homelessness since the foreclosure crisis began in 2007, according to a report by the National Coalition for the Homeless. The group says the problem has worsened since the report's release in April, with foreclosures mounting, gas and food prices rising and the job market tightening.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hey, but not to worry! At least we're bailing out all of the fraudulent lenders with tens of billions of dollars, so the CEO's can keep collecting their $100 million bonuses! Oh, and let's not forget, congress just approved another $612 Billion to continue on all of the M.I.C.'s foreign occupations too! So we've got all our priorities in order!

"It's clear that poverty and homelessness have increased," said Michael Stoops, acting executive director of the coalition. "The economy is in chaos, we're in an unofficial recession and Americans are worried, from the homeless to the middle class, about their future."

The phenomenon of encampments has caught advocacy groups somewhat by surprise, largely because of how quickly they have sprung up.

ap.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Someone already beat you to this I am afraid. Tent Cities

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The last time I saw large visible tent cities was in 1987. The economy was beginning to sour up in New England as the cost of living soared and the wages stagnated. It wasn't pretty.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Closing Thread:

Please address all future replies to the previous thread:

Tent Cities

Closed

Semper

top topics

join