It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio GOP Sues To Block Early Voting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The Ohio GOP with a little help from the McCain campaign has filed a suit to challenge early voting in Ohio. Because of an overlap of registration and early voting, Republicans say that it is possible for someone to vote on the same day as they register.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio Republicans on Friday challenged the state's top elections official, a Democrat, with allegations of power abuse and filed a lawsuit over a separate calendar glitch. Democrats countered that Republicans were trying to suppress the vote.

Republican Sen. John McCain's campaign helped thousands of people request absentee ballots, but Secretary of State Jennifer Brunner said many of them forgot to check a box attesting they were registered voters. Republicans protested, claiming Brunner was using her office to benefit her Democratic Party.

Ohio GOP Sues To Block Early Voting

On a separate front, the state GOP sued Brunner on Friday, asking the Ohio Supreme Court to block what amounts to same-day voting during a Sept. 30-to-Oct. 6 window. The calendar glitch -- approved by a Republican Legislature, signed into law by former GOP Gov. Bob Taft and used since 2006's midterm elections — could allow tens of thousands of unregistered voters a chance to register and cast a ballot within minutes of deciding.

This will surely shake confidence in our voting process in Ohio, where many still remember the voting debacle of 2004, which gave George Bush enough votes to be re-elected. If you don't remember, there were several problems due to new touch screen voting machines and other issues that consistently favored the Republicans. Then Secretary of State, Kenneth Blackwell (R) oversaw the distribution of the machines, and it was found that a larger number of machines went to Republican majority districts and the districts, which favored the Democrats, had long lines of people wanting to vote. Some voters waited as long as 3 hours in line, and local courts had to step in and keep poles open 3 hours later, so everyone in line at the time the poles closed would be able to vote.

This obviously led to countless disenfranchised voters, and probably changed the results of the election. After much of this information was made public during the investigation, the voters later responded in the following election in 2006 and many Republicans lost their positions including Kenneth Blackwell who ran for Governor.

I see the same tactics being used here to disenfranchise more voters this election, and it would appear that the local politicians did not get the message.

Related article:
Republicans file suit against Ohio secretary of state

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Here we go again...

I'm afraid the GOP is in full swing to disenfranchise the voters. It's their "winning strategy". Along with Caging, of course...

The chairman of the Republican Party in Macomb County, Michigan, a key swing county in a key swing state, is planning to use a list of foreclosed homes to block people from voting in the upcoming election as part of the state GOP’s effort to challenge some voters on Election Day.

Video at site.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I asked a friend in Ohio about all this. I got this response:

Massive voter fraud has already begun here in Ohio. The Democrat Secretary of State in Ohio changed the voting rules to allow people to register and vote in one day specifically to swing this state for Obama.

In Franklin County ( Columbus ) and Montgomery County ( Dayton ) Brunner advised the counties that they are not required to have election monitors. In fact, election monitors have been turned away from polling places.

The Democrats are already rounding up homeless people, criminals, and out of state college kids to vote for Obama. They do not have to show any ID, just vote. There is no way to verify who any of them are before the ballots are already counted. This also means that they will be able to vote as many times as they like ( or are paid to vote ).

Ohio is a critical swing state and the liberals are willing to do anything to win it. Today Bruce Springsteen gave a free concert in Columbus for those who would register and vote for Obama. They bussed in hundreds of out of state college kids for this concert, not to mention the thousands of out of staters that attend OSU, but are going to vote illegally in Ohio instead of their home state.

I live in Columbus and know several folks who attend OSU. They have told me that the Dems on campus are really pushing for all the students to vote for Obama during the early voting period, and to vote often (The Al Capone way!).

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
The Democrat Secretary of State in Ohio changed the voting rules to allow people to register and vote in one day specifically to swing this state for Obama.

How does being able to register and vote in the same day swing the state for Obama? McCain voters are also permitted to do this.

Today Bruce Springsteen gave a free concert in Columbus for those who would register and vote for Obama.

Boy, I'm sorry to say that I'm not sure your friend has his or her facts straight...

Bruce Springsteen is having a concert, but anyone can attend. He's encouraging people to register and vote for Obama, yes, but they are free to vote for whomever they want.

There's nothing wrong with encouraging young people or homeless people to vote... And there's nothing wrong with celebrities holding events for their chosen candidate.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Well, I have no problem with getting more people to get off their fat asses and registering to vote.

But let's just say that Obama (or at least his followers) have a bit of a history of some shady voting registration practices. ACORN, anyone?

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Ya I bet we couldnt say the same for the last 2 elections eh??

Ohh wait yes we can.. sorry about that..

But remember girls and boys.

He who votes decides nothing, he who counts the votes decides everything.

Meaning it dont matter who you vote for your vote means squat.. deal with it..

[edit on 10/6/2008 by ThichHeaded]

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

What a bunch of baloney.

It was the Republican majority in the State House that voted to allow the early registering and screwed up on the dates so that for one week it is possible to register and vote the same day. Read the article I posted.

As for voting, it is impossible to vote in Ohio without a positive ID and proof of residence. The only fraud I see is in your friend's attempt at a smear campaign.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Oct, 6 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
I asked a friend in Ohio about all this. I got this response:

So did you know that this response you got from your friend also appears almost word for word on another forum at professionalsoldiers.com?

www.professionalsoldiers.com...

Is this really your friend? Or was it just some spam that you plagiarized?

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
There's nothing wrong with encouraging young people or homeless people to vote... And there's nothing wrong with celebrities holding events for their chosen candidate.

Uh, yes there is, BH and you damn well know it. You have to have an ID and a proof of residence to be able to vote. A homeless person most likely doesn't have either.

As for young people, how young are we talking about? 12? 13?

You've really become a shill for Obama these past few months.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

The courts held up the early voting and now that the same day voting date overlap is over, the turn out was much lower than expected. Only about 5,000 votes were cast during the week.

Turnout light in Ohio early voting window

Early voting can still be done, but the registration deadline has passed.

I guess we can dispel with all the voter fraud accusations. Even if there was some, they didn't do a very good job.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I'm afraid the GOP is in full swing to disenfranchise the voters. It's their "winning strategy".

The GOP is not trying to disenfranchise anybody. There is massive voter fraud going on in the swing states right now. Until yesterday in Ohio, as the OP said, it was possible to register and vote on the same day. No photo ID is required to register. All you need is a name, an address (which you provide, no proof required), and the last four digits of a SS#. It is entirely possible that many people drove around the state and registered in every county during that week. That's 88 votes per person, per name they used. Are you seriously OK with that happening?

I also disagree with your opinion on celebrities being used to gather votes. When a musician holds a free concert to campaign for a candidate, that is bribery pure and simple. Springsteen is giving away a concert that people pay $200+ per ticket to get into normally. He uses this to get votes for Obama.

Also, in my opinion, situations like this should be considered a violation of the FEC's contribution limits. They should count every person at that concert, multiply the number by $200 for the price of a concert ticket, and the resulting dollar amount is Springsteen's contribution to the Obama campaign. I'm guessing it's going to be several million dollars more than what is allowed under the current guidelines.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueTriangle
The GOP is not trying to disenfranchise anybody. There is massive voter fraud going on in the swing states right now. Until yesterday in Ohio, as the OP said, it was possible to register and vote on the same day. No photo ID is required to register. All you need is a name, an address (which you provide, no proof required), and the last four digits of a SS#. It is entirely possible that many people drove around the state and registered in every county during that week. That's 88 votes per person, per name they used. Are you seriously OK with that happening?

Hey BT, it is not as bad as you think. Check my previous post. There were only 5,000 early votes cast in the first week. And just because someone registers, doesn't mean it will be approved and their vote be thrown out if they are suspected of fraud.

And you do not need an ID to register, but you do have to have one to vote. And no, I'm not happy with these tactics, but it is not as wide spread as the accusation claim.

posted on Oct, 7 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
The problem that exists in Ohio is that they are letting voters register and vote on the same day and not only that, but partisan groups are rounding up every eligible voter and taking them down to register and vote and, not only that, but the organizers are doing something called electioneering, which is illegal at the polls on election day.

One news outlets interviewed one of the "volunteers" who drives voters to the registrars office and she openly and gleefully admitted on camera that she was not only encouraging voters to vote for Obama, but, in her words, telling voters to vote for Obama and that they were doing so.

Challenging this practice is hardly disenfranchising voters, but rather, ensuring the integrity of the voting process, something that the Ohio attorney general or the Democrat party doesn't seem to be interested in doing.

posted on Oct, 8 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Grady,

The only video I've found that showed this was a college channel at Ohio State University. Is that the video your talking about? If not, can you post a link?

I agree that if this is true, it is illegal and should be investigated, but from my previous post, you will see it will not have an impact on the election. The same day registration and voting was only for one week and ended Monday, and the turnout was less than 5,000 votes, some of which could be thrown out if suspected of fraud.

new topics

top topics

join