It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Copyright Problem

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:28 AM
link   
my idea is that this world is not controlled by guns or money instead it is controlled by the mass media and this mass media is built on the foundation of copyright. you see if nobody could copyright their songs or books or ideas then they wouldn't be able to sell them and the market place would fall apart then the media monopoly would be destroyed and a revolution could take place.

its quite a simple idea really. if you are against globablisation and you write a song against globalisation and then you try to get that song copyrighted so that people have to pay for it across the world then you are sucking up to the very institution that you want to destroy because only an international authority could make people pay for song.

of course you can say that artists need to make money but they can still make money out of live performances whoever they are. in fact the small time artist would make more money in their trade if the mass media wasn't bewilidering everybody.

i'm not interested in arguing i just want an intelligent response to my idea.
actually this copyright problem has many many deep reprecussions if you think about it.

peace out

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Well, your post makes sense, but of course we cannot blame the whole globalization thing on "copyright". Maybe the exact question is "What will happen if copyright's didn't exist" ?

Anyway, flagged - interesting point of view.

PS: Welcome to ATS

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Actually my opinion is that you misunderstood the term copyright, it means gaining rights for one's work, according to you the music composed so that the composer can enjoy the fruits of his/her work and gain wealth, and without the copyright, many would sell the music in their shops and only the shopkeepers and the music disk manufacturers would have profit and the composer would be left alone.

And it is not the mass media alone that is based on the foundation of copyright, all the inventions in the world are copyrighted to give the inventor the due rewards of his work.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCopyrightRevolution

You may be a bit confused about the copyright thing. As soon as you wrote those words in your opening post, you could legitimately claim to hold the copyright. No formal procedure is needed to secure a copyright. Simply write it, date it, and sign it. That's it.

There is a formal procedure, but I believe the courts in general will accept any proof that an author can produce that proves their creation as an original work.

It is possible to sell off the "copyright". In other words, transfer the legal control of an original work to some other entity.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheCopyrightRevolution
of course you can say that artists need to make money but they can still make money out of live performances whoever they are. in fact the small time artist would make more money in their trade if the mass media wasn't bewilidering everybody.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I see that your example is based primarily on the music industry and that's OK, but copyrights laws extend across a much broader artscape.

Take, for instance, a successful painter who has spent months working on an image. The painting winds up professionally photographed for inclusion in his/her website. Then, an international company lifts that picture from the website and makes prints from it, selling them in hundreds of shops across the world.

The original artist is by-passed and gains not a penny for their work. Copyright protects artists from that.

In the same vein, a writer may spend 2 years writing a novel. A change in the title, a different name for the author and the book could be sold by an unscrupulous publishing company.

Copyrights also protect writers.

As to the music industry, I think the copyright laws are also fair, if not for the lyrics alone, then for the symbiotic relationship between voice and instruments which made the song popular.

As an artist myself, I would be very upset if someone 'took' my work and marketed it as their own.

Interesting thread, TheCopyrightRevolution. I look forward to comments from the membership on this issue.

BTW... are you aware that the very words you write on ATS are similarly protected?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

bbcode edit

[edit on 19/9/08 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Yeah, OP. I have to disagree. I copywrite all my photos, images, original artwork, original music and anything I write. It protects me from thieves who insist on using others work as their own.

© 1991-2008 ATS/AoC/Celtic Fury Art
Cuhail

new topics

top topics

join