It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I’m done with most poor people, and with Wal-Mart FOREVER!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I’ve always treated the poor with respect; I’ve opened doors for them, I’ve slowed my vehicle for them, I’ve moved my shopping cart out of the way for them, even as they’ve waddled past me and budged in front of me time and again, but NO MORE, not after today! Why can they never learn from my example? Why must they always confuse politeness with weakness? Why must they always be ten thoughts behind me in nearly every matter? Now don’t go ape here - I’m not claiming to be some beaming intellectual, but there’s a certain class of people I’m starting to lose my ability to communicate with, and they all seem to shop at Wal-Mart and make less than $100k per year.

I’ve always felt guilty shopping at Wal-Mart - as I imagine they probably beat their workers, and because the quality of goods are so pathetic. Still, I’ve done it, mostly out of necessity, as I too am poor. Even so, I refuse to believe I belong to the same pecking order as these primates, nor will I shop in this store again PERIOD! After tonight, I’m convinced, God must be playing ‘Trading Places’ with me, and I need to find (metaphorically) the Eddie Murphy whose stolen my real life.

Anyway, the toilets in this Wal-Mart are filthy, and I suspect many of the wild-boars who use them don’t even wipe. And although my daughter is tall for being nine, she’s still obviously a child, but that doesn’t seem to stop nearly every male customer and worker at Wal-Mart from giving her seriously inappropriate looks. One guy about 23 with baggy pants and a wife beater shirt, actually turned toward her and said “yee-yeah,” looking her from top to bottom, sounding just like the guy who propositioned the hooker in the movie ‘Idiocracy.’ But unlike the hooker, my daughter was not dressed provocatively and she is nine.

To top it all off, as I politely moved aside for, four, thuggish young men and their filthy pirate of a mother (who selfishly clogged the entire aisle), one of them had the impudence to punch his own hand, as if his hand somehow represented my face. All because he interpreted my kind gesture as weakness. So I look back at this kid who’s about 20 with a look that screamed “I could take this foot of mine and kick your mothers head clean off if I so decided.” Then his crew, or brothers or whoever picked-up on my angry vibes, and started giving me this look right back, a look that seemed to say “What’s with all that cheap 1980’s gel in your hair? What’s with the crazy beard, Holmes? (admittedly, it is stupid, hee-hee) You think you are somebody? You think you’re a superstar? You want some pain? You look like the kind of guy that rolls in a WindStar!” So I do one of those fake smiles that just drops, and I fire back my own glare that says - “I got the Windstar for free you bag-of-excrement, and tell that sea-hag of a mother of yours to shave her back, and if you don’t like the beard come rub it off, besides I could beat the snot out of each of you, at least individually, except for maybe the really tall guy, and even if I couldn’t, I’m sure I could say something very, very cruel to him, something that would forever wound him and follow him for the rest of his primate life.” Then I immediately looked down at the thousand dimples mixed-about in a fat roll on his mother’s tree-trunk of a leg, and they slinked off in shame.

Anyway, it wasn’t these people in particular that changed my mind on poor people. It’s been a series of events over a period of time. Poor people never yield for kids in the crosswalks, they rarely appreciate anything you do for them, and they get combative when they feel insecure and then blame you. I don’t want the stress of dealing with them anymore, so down with shopping at Wal-Mart! Down with hanging around poor people and being polite to them (I’m generalizing, I’m sure there are some nice ones I‘ll be polite to, but I’ve only met a few so far.) This is not to say all rich, people are great, but I think proportionally, there are many more nice, rich people than poor people. Besides, I’ve had some terrific conversations lately with some really nice, rich, people on a range of things like - art in antiquity, literature, the birth of the modern orchestra. . . I rarely talk to poor people about anything fun, they just burp and fart. It’s not strictly academia, many rich people have had the opportunity to see so much more than poor people and thus have more to talk about, and they appreciate good manners. Even if in the future I go homeless and lose everything, I will not share my cardboard box with, or smoke cigarettes with the other homeless people.
Well that concludes my rant for this month. For the record, I’m sure I’ll probably pop into a dollar store, or a target now and again, at least until I figure out how to take over the world by next year.

Note: Do not mistake my lack of response to your comments as weakness. I’m just probably doing something else for a time. But I would appreciate if you could just let this post slip off into the abyss without adding anything.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Just be done with Wal-Mart because it feels like a zoo and the products are cheap and break easily.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Well then..if you want to stop shopping at Wally world..fine.
But be aware, a good portion of members of this board, earn less than 100K a year.
Unless you plan to take a survey and then only talk to those who earn your required amount of income, you just defeated your entire argument.
Do you really judge people by their income alone?
That is just sad, and disgusting.
So someone who makes far more than you do, would be justified in saying that YOU are not worthy of them?

My gosh.

I don't judge by income. It's not what's in a person's bank account that makes them the type of person that they are.
I have friends who live off welfare, and friends who earn only what I can imagine, and all kinds of incomes in between. I could never, ever, judge them based on income alone.

I would really hope that you just posted this because you were having a really bad day. It's the only way I can even slightly justify your rant.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by sexysadie

Well first of all can I just ask, how the hell can you tell if one is poor or not?

A LOT of the normal, healthy, nice looking people, who are very polite and have good manners could be just barely surviving weekly on a little amount of money.

I don't think you go around asking how much everyone makes.

And under $100,000 a year is not poor! lol

[edit on 19-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well if you want to, you can talk to me. I used to make $100K/ year working at Wal-Mart.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Nice entertaining read and I understood the satire and sarcasm as i'm sure that was how you meant it.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
What's nice about poor people is that it is easy to determine quickly why they have become poor. If they are messy, have poor attitudes, low intellect, impolite, etc. - it's usually a good indicator that they don't work or have a trust fund set up somewhere to finance their lives. They just go around looking for handouts and blame everyone for their problems.

On the other hand, some poor people are poor because of unfortunate circumstances. We'll call them the minority, because usually people with traits opposite of those I just mentioned who want to better themselves may not become rich, but will more than likely have not want in life given enough time.

The same apply to rich folks however. They may have more money than Richie Rich, but behind the facade of greenbacks usually lies someone who would fall apart and act like one of those complaining inconsiderate poor persons if it weren't for their bankroll. In my humble opinion, they are harder to weed out, because anyone can act like an upstanding person if they have everything going for themselves!

[edit on 19-9-2008 by ben91069]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I'd reply to you

but i'm currently unemployed, so i best move on.

I'd be curious to know your age and status.

Ta Ta!!~!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Wow.

I was going to come rant and rave myself after reading the post, but I'll just say this.

Part of being human is recognizing another's humanity. If you're objectifying them as some obstacle to get through /over, or as some vehicle to attain something, you're not proving your superiority, but your lack of integrity.

I wish I could remember the same everyday...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This has got to be a joke. OK-stop going to Walmart. What do we care? You will see "poor" people wherever you go, unless you limit yourself to the 5 star shopping site for Fortune 500 members. Better yet, have your stuff delivered. I must warn you, however , that the delivery person probably makes less than $100K a year, which is your gold standard, lol. Good luck avoiding the "little" people, but its best you stay away from the rest of society.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
"The poor you have with you always."

I understand your rant and agree to a certain degree. I make significantly less than the gold standard of 100k/yr AND live in a mobile home in a trailer park. If I dropped any lower on the social scale, I'd be living in a cardboard box.

That said, I deliberately live below my means in order to stock up on supplies that will be needed in the coming days for myself, my family and whomever I can help that will be in need. I contend with the ill manners, thievery, vandalism and drug culture that permeates my neighborhood by staying indoors mostly. On the few occasions I am required to interact with the wildlife, it is in a civilized and cordial but succinct manner. Any longer than absolutely necessary and they become feral.

I shop at Wal-Mart but never on weekends or holidays. The last time I went in on a holiday I was seriously regretting not having gotten my rabies vaccine. I prefer Target. Little better class of people there.

I suspect I know the reason why so many have abandoned civility and decorum but I'll save that response for another post. Suffice it to say that not all poor people are ill-mannered barbarians. If the economy keeps going the way it has been, we'll ALL be "poor people". I shudder to think of what behavior will be exhibited at that point. Goodbye polite society.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by whitewave]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I just had to tell you this. I went to my regular pharmacy to fill a medication i need and the price was $70.00....

So..I called Wal-Mart, and they can fill it for $4.00

I will only go there from now on. Maybe i can find some bags there to collect my cans,,,,

Seriously, at those prices i dont care if they throw the medication at me and call me a beeatch.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I just had to tell you this. I went to my regular pharmacy to fill a medication i need and the price was $70.00....

So..I called Wal-Mart, and they can fill it for $4.00

I will only go there from now on. Maybe i can find some bags there to collect my cans,,,,

Seriously, at those prices i dont care if they throw the medication at me and call me a beeatch.

LOL, that was funny.

And wow that really is a big difference in price haha.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I find it quite ironic that the OP obviously goes to the ghetto Walmart. If that is the case he must live in a less than ritzy part of town (why waste gas driving from Beverly Hills to the ghetto walmart?), hence HIS income is probably less than $100K as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by raven bombshell
I find it quite ironic that the OP obviously goes to the ghetto Walmart. If that is the case he must live in a less than ritzy part of town (why waste gas driving from Beverly Hills to the ghetto walmart?), hence HIS income is probably less than $100K as well.

Yes somewhere in that post he does say he's poor too, whatever that means.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Very interesting rant. I must ask, where does the OP live that making under $100k is poor? LOL I fall short of that mark and have a great lifestyle. And no, not on credit...paid for...CASH.

I will also say that I totally understand where you're coming from. I am from the dirty souf. And most of the dirties are in walmart. You have to go at like 3 am when no one is there. Then it's awesome. Then when I went to college I moved to New Orleans...Jesus Christ I thought my walmart at home was bad. If you want to get out of there before the welfare wildlife come just make sure you leave before 11am. That's about when they roll out of bed.

I swear, there were people as wide as 3-4 normal people, clogging the aisle. And the aisles in walmart are like twice the size of a regular store aisle. How can you be so fat you clog a Walmart aisle? And the thugs and gangstaz....*sigh*. It was absolutely brutal.

WALMART IN JEFFERSON, LOUISIANA, I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was dirt poor in college, but that walmart was so effing horrible that I went to the Winn Dixie to shop and paid 30%-50% more just to not have to be in that godawful place. It was so agitating that it made my physically upset. It's hard to imagine, but after that walmart Winn Dixie felt like a Madison Avenue day spa.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
The OP made me laugh, that's all I care about. I needed that, as I went to Wally World today. I went and got the manager because some "poor" woman was making circles around her cart the entire time I was in the produce and deli section. Every once in a while she would put her hands up to her head and start shaking. Mental illness for sure, but I was genuinely concerned for her.

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Hiya, thanks for the kind words. . .some.

Yes I WAS being facetious in parts, and NO, there is no actual 100k cutoff for my friendship. See, while shopping at Wal-Mart, I reflected on life and realized, I’ve never had one REAL friend from the poor side. Certainly I’ve had many poor friends, but in name only; buddies to go barhopping with, people to eat lunch with, to travel with, to discuss daily life with, but I’ve never had a poor friend, NOT ONE whose ever been there for ME during my hour of need. (Violin begins, lights dim)

The irony is, I’ve spent years giving myself to SO many poor people, people who have offered ZERO thanks in return, only backstabbing. To them, I’ve been a confidant, a shoulder to cry on, an enduring listener, a trusted accountant when chips were down, a psychiatrist when emotions ran high, a matchmaker, a mediator, a catcher in the rye, a clown for the jaded, a bridge over troubled water, but it was all for not! I’ve had countless opportunities to steal from my friends, to exploit them, to gossip about them, to ruin them, but I did not, would not! I was, am a consummate friend.

I once thought if I was really ‘ there’ for people, I could help them, and somehow this would help me too, but it never did. For my friends I swam into the pits of hell; or at least down into the basements of dangerous drug dealers, (okay, it was just an oily man with a tattoo sipping a Budweiser) to suffer with them what they could not suffer by themselves. I was a guardian angel who was there to catch my pals at their most vulnerable, bringing them to safety without them even knowing. I risked life and limb for these people cruising down twisting, gravel roads at speeds topping 160 MPH (45, but it’s easy to lose control on loose gravel), with a stranger at the wheel, while Jim Morrison songs (yanni) pounded so loud my ears ring to this day But where were my friends after their wounds healed and they found a moment of success, and it was ‘I’ who was calling for help dangling from a two-hundred foot building in the dead of night? (playfully swooped leg off parents garage) I’ll tell you, my make-believe-internet-friends, it was only ‘I’, the twinkling stars above, and the cold hard concrete below. (Note: Imagine my voice sounding like ‘Tuco’ from the movie “The good, the bad, and the ugly’ when reading last sentence)
I wasted a decade helping one financially strapped friend survive, but after “I” hit a rough spot, and needed every cent to live, this dear friend crept into my top drawer and stole my last $2700.00 ( roll of pennies, only misplaced) as I fixed him a drink in the other room. The next day after I found out what he’d done, I didn’t even bother accusing him, I didn’t want to hear the lies, I knew his conscience was every bit as lost as my cash.

So as I looked into the faces of shoppers at Wal-Mart that day, it occurred to me these warthogs were merely variations of the same class of people (only fatter) that have always let me down.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by sexysadie]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
im from england, i recently stopped in the usa for 5 weeks as a kind of vacation
. well we checked out that walmart in salt lake, and paige, and somewhere else i cant really remember and i was gob smacked... you guys really have it made we havent got superstores like that over here.. it had literally everything you could dream of in one store... im surprised how so many people are saying walmart is poor quality ! reality check?

and 100,000 a year? thats around 50,000 pounds, god blimey, i don't know a single person out of hundreds that makes that much money, not even store managers, or computer engineers, or even bankers, property sales reps... non of these hit close to 50,000 and these are high standard jobs!

[edit on 20-9-2008 by fill0000]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
ROFLMAO
Someone is a bit of a drama queen- I wont mention any names...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join