It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Captures amazing Galaxy silhouettes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Hubble Captures amazing Galaxy silhouettes

NASA's Hubble Space Telescope has captured a rare alignment between two spiral galaxies. The outer rim of a small, foreground galaxy is silhouetted in front of a larger background galaxy. Skeletal tentacles of dust can be seen extending beyond the small galaxy's disk of starlight.

Such outer dark dusty structures, which appear to be devoid of stars, like barren branches, are rarely so visible in a galaxy because there is usually nothing behind them to illuminate them. Astronomers have never seen dust this far beyond the visible edge of a galaxy. They do not know if these dusty structures are common features in galaxies.

Understanding a galaxy's color and how dust affects and dims that color are crucial to measuring a galaxy's true brightness. By knowing the true brightness, astronomers can calculate the galaxy's distance from Earth.
www.nasa.gov...

This picture is astounding and one of the best ive seen so far

more images are available at
hubblesite.org...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Thats really amazing and mind blowing I couldnt take my eyes off the picture at all, hope you would post some other great pictures in the future.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet
Thats really amazing and mind blowing I couldnt take my eyes off the picture at all, hope you would post some other great pictures in the future.

yes peacejet truely amazing, in my opinion these are the best up to date pics of a spiral galaxy yet even though they are 2 years old , this pic just shows how vast the universe is.

[edit on 9/19/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Here are some more images of NGC253 peacejet

Located 10 million light-years away in the southern constellation Sculptor, the Silver Dollar galaxy, or NGC 253, is one of the brightest spiral galaxies in the night sky. In this edge-on view from NASA's Galaxy Evolution Explorer, the wisps of blue represent relatively dustless areas of the galaxy that are actively forming stars. Areas of the galaxy with a soft golden glow indicate regions where the far-ultraviolet is heavily obscured by dust particles.

www.galex.caltech.edu...

www-laog.obs.ujf-grenoble.fr...

[edit on 9/19/2008 by altered_states]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by altered_states

Thats great and considering the image was taken in the ultra violet region and galaxy is a strong emitter of UV even at a distance from the center of the galaxy. And is that the galaxy that had Supernova explosions in the beginning of the year.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by peacejet]

new topics

join