It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State rep confirms that son is subject of Palin e-mail chatter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by iamcamouflage
reply to post by thematrix

This is still considered hacking and it is illegal.

It might be illegal but it ain't hacking.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
If you leave your front door wide open, it is still illegal for someone to walk in and take your stuff.

And I don't see how the information can legally be used in a court of law now since it was obtained illegally. So basically, I don't think anything will happen to her even though what she did was illegal.

Hackers suck mostly. They potentially ruined what could have been a good case.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
While I agree that getting into her account was by less than legal means, I applaud the principal of the matter (if that principal was to expose a flaw that could effect the individuals ability to run a country). Legally, both should be punished. Its no different than the thieves who rob drug dealers thinking the police won't care. Come to find out both parties get busted if the cops become involved.

And to the person who says Palin doesn't deserv to be a criminal because she's the victim. Newsflash...if you break the law, you are a criminal, regardless of if you are the victim of a crime yourself. That's like saying the drug dealer in above scenario should be defended because someone robbed him.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by ninthaxis]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia
If you leave your front door wide open, it is still illegal for someone to walk in and take your stuff.

And I don't see how the information can legally be used in a court of law now since it was obtained illegally. So basically, I don't think anything will happen to her even though what she did was illegal.

Hackers suck mostly. They potentially ruined what could have been a good case.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by badmedia]

Actually, what the hacker did can be used to get a warrant to request or take legal access to the mail accounts in question and, since most of them are deleted by now, request the backups to be made available for analysis.

And again, dude didn't hack #, he guessed a question.

And theres all kinds of hackers, don't generalize them. Every decent sysadmin is a hacker, there is a much higher ratio of legal whitehat hackers then there are blackhats, its just the guys that hack with bad intentions that get caught and give everyone a bad name.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

I agree that the perpetrator of this action should be punished, but can you imagine the uproar that would have cause if this was Obama using a personal email account to do that?

All GOP supporters would be question his judgement, his intelligence, his integrity....I mean in would be on an on to no end.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Bunch]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bunch
reply to post by jsobecky

can you imagine the uproar that would have cause if this was Obama using a personal email account to do that?

I don't think any of us know beyond a reasonable doubt that elected officials don't use private email accounts in similar fashion. But after this, I'm sure the smart ones no longer do. Besides, if it was discovered Obama used his private email account for official business, I'm sure he'd get a pass on it!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wytworm

Originally posted by iamcamouflage

This is still considered hacking and it is illegal.

It might be illegal but it ain't hacking.

Ok by the definition of hacking it may not be but it is fraud. You cannot pretend to be someone else. Gaining access to a persons personal property, without permission is illegal. Again, I will state that Palin broke the law if she used a personal account for govt business but that does not justify breaking the law to expose her violation. Let law enforcement deal with it via a warrant. I dont want the govt or a citizen accessing my personal information without probable cause. If you are ok with a private citizen illegally searching a persons private information then you must be ok with the govt doing it without a warrant as well.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Justice11

In my opinion the young man is a whistleblower. Palin committed an illegal act by conducting state business on her personal email account specifically to avoid transparency laws. Not only that, this was apparently a policy within her administration that she strictly enforced. Since there was more than one person involved, that makes it a conspiracy to break the law as well. This practice was already an issue in her campaign before her account was hacked. If she had not been exposed she and the other members of her administration would have deleted all the illegal emails to avoid accountability for breaking the law before anyone could prove it. Public officials are supposed to be held to a higher standard, have we forgotten that? Do we really want someone like that running our country? Who has committed the more serious crime, the public official who imposes an illegal policy showing a blatant disdain for public accountability, or the person who exposed it? Hmmmm, I wonder.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
While I agree that getting into her account was by less than legal means, I applaud the principal of the matter (if that principal was to expose a flaw that could effect the individuals ability to run a country). Legally, both should be punished. Its no different than the thieves who rob drug dealers thinking the police won't care. Come to find out both parties get busted if the cops become involved.

And to the person who says Palin doesn't deserv to be a criminal because she's the victim. Newsflash...if you break the law, you are a criminal, regardless of if you are the victim of a crime yourself. That's like saying the drug dealer in above scenario should be defended because someone robbed him.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by ninthaxis]

Very good example, it makes me think of Omar if you watch The Wire you will know what I'm talking about. If you havent seen The Wire, you should definitely watch it.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I can agree with you that hackers provide many positive services even if folks dont realize it. But if you get caught, you are not very good and you will be punished. Some hackers are only trying to point out the weak spots in a system, without causing damage. More companies should be hiring hackers to test their own systems but it doesnt happen that often. Believe me I'm glad that Palin has been exposed but if you get caught, you get punished. It goes for the hacker and Palin.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I hope he doesn't get in any trouble. If it had happened to anyone that isn't famous, then no one would care. If he gets in legal trouble, then it better be as some sort of precedent.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Tinkerbell
Kudos to Sarah Pallin for the weak password choice. People who choose weak passwords are subjecting themselves to smart kids with a curiosity. This kid is just a by-product of the digital age and perhaps a martyr for identification security. I really don't see too much damage here, other than identifying a vulnerability of social design. Makes ya think twice about security and authentication of ID. One day technology will catch up.

The kid isn't a Tennessee redneck.. and what about those ties to the Subgenius?
People get owned all the time with far less consequence. How much damage did this really create for Pallin?? I think the more important lesson to learn from this is... The weakness of Yahoo. No harm, no foul. Slap the kid on the wrist, and move on.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seeker Mom
People who are experiencing OBS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) really believe that blaming the victim is appropriate. Isn't that a bit scary?

Her account is hacked and yet she is the criminal? Insanity.

She is the criminal because using that account for government business was illegal. They are both criminals. They both broke the law.

Tell me, who are you really more concerned about following the law?

some punk kid or our elected officials? I did not elect that kid, I do not pay him with my taxes, he does not represent me. He is a criminal, send him to jail. She is a criminal, boot her out of office and send her to jail.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
What this kid has done is NOT the same as "entering into a locked house and stealing stuff". It is more correct to say that he "Looked into a house, and used a device to recreate everything he saw in the house."

How in God's name can it be "theft" if the original person still has everything they had before?

Put another way.... Let's say some aliens gave me a device. This device can scan something (like a car), and totally recreate it without disturbing the original. I walk over to my neighbor's house. He has his car out front. I walk over, scan his car, and this device recreates one just like it. Have I stolen anything from my neighbor? (BTW, this example is the REAL reason companies want to call music/movie/software copying "theft", instead of what it REALLY is, which is just an intellectual property right violation, aka copyright violation. Why do they do that? Because "copyright violation" doesn't evoke the same visceral response as "theft"! People don't really care above the former, but you can absolutely bet they care about the latter.)

The ONLY thing she lost was her right of privacy. But then again, if she was using a private e-mail account, for PUBLIC BUSINESS, did she have any expectation of privacy on that account to begin with?

Did the hacker copy personal e-mails (e.g. "OMG! She is SUCH a witch! I hope I don't see her at that party again!"), or were they actually governmental related e-mails to which he may or may not have had a legal right to view?

[edit on 22-9-2008 by sir_chancealot]

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
First off you morons that even consider voting for mccain need to watch this video RIGHT NOW (very graphic) McCain will make Cheney look like Ghandi

If you support Palin you should rightfully be barred your right to vote because you are incompetent. You are not a patriot and are a disgrace to this country. She is nothing but a figure.

[edit on 23-9-2008 by GlassRunner]

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I killed another thread!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join