It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State rep confirms that son is subject of Palin e-mail chatter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   

State rep confirms that son is subject of Palin e-mail chatter

tennessean.com

State Rep. Mike Kernell confirmed Thursday that his son, a University of Tennessee-Knoxville student, is at the center of heated Internet discussion into the hacking of the personal e-mail of vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
If true i hope law enforcement throw the book at him.

tennessean.com

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justice11

tennessean.com

I disagree. This is her own fault for leaving herself vulnerable when in a position of power such as she is. What if this guy wasn't some kid? What if he was a terrorist? He could've monitored her account for months, waiting for her to give away details of sensitive information.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ANoNyMiKE

Originally posted by Justice11

tennessean.com

I disagree. This is her own fault for leaving herself vulnerable when in a position of power such as she is. What if this guy wasn't some kid? What if he was a terrorist? He could've monitored her account for months, waiting for her to give away details of sensitive information.

I agree that it was foolish and illegal of Palin to use a yahoo account to discuss issues related to the government(if true), but that does not justify the illegal hacking of her account. If there was wrong doing on her part, we should let the legal system take the steps to get to the bottom of the issue.
I hope they throw the book at Kernells son for hacking and if Palin commited crimes by disclosing government related material via a personal email account, thus by passing transparency and govt record keeping laws then they should throw the book at her.

The Rule of Law should rule us all.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Her account wasn't hacked.

The guy guessed her password reset question.

"Where did you meet your husband?"

Boohooo

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thematrix

This is still considered hacking and it is illegal. It is no different than logging onto someones wireless router because they didnt change their password from admin to something new.
The real world example would be saying that if someone leaves the door to their house unlocked, its ok to enter without permission.

It may not have been smart of her to use a personal email for govt business and it was foolish to not select a better password or secret question but it doesnt make the act of accessing the account when you are not the official owner of the account any less illegal.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by iamcamouflage]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by iamcamouflage

Its actually illegal for someone at Palins level to use non state, insecure email.

So, is it really illegal if illegal activities are suspected and a person goes in to investigate?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Its actually illegal for someone at Palins level to use non state, insecure email.

So, is it really illegal if illegal activities are suspected and a person goes in to investigate?

I am not disagreeing that it was illegal for her to use a personal account for govt business. But what this guy did was an illegal search. Two wrongs dont make a right. If she was suspected of wrong doing than law enforcement should intervene. So if someone is suspected of something illegal, anyone can break the law to investigate? If I think my neighbor is breaking the law inside his house, I should be able to break into his house and check things out?

I DO NOT agree with Palin using a personal email for govt business but it does not justify illegally hacking into her account. I wouldnt want people breaking into my email account because they think i'm doing something wrong. Would you be ok with me hacking into your email account?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
You can try :p

No easy passwords or security questions here? And accounts for important communications are PGP'd and never get their addy posted online.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by thematrix

I'm not threatening you, I'm only posing a hypothetical. Again, Palin using a personal account was wrong and illegal but so is illegally hacking into that account. I dont approve of an average citizen doing it and I dont approve of the govt doing it without probable cause and a warrant. Is it ok for someone to come into your home because you left your door unlocked?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Your logic here is so

Try this to help you understand. If you leave your garage door open and unwatched, and then if somebody comes along and helps themselves to some of your prized possessions, it's not a criminal act because you stupidly left your door open?

Don't let partisanship blind you to logic and reality ...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I disagree, yes, the guy that hacked should get 3 months probabation. Palin, on the other hand? First, she violated the law, by having personal email used for business. Second she violated the law by deleting the account, attempting to cover-up the percieved felony. I'm sorry, 2 stupids don't make a VP. Mccain needs to retire her, and pick a new VP. How can the "candidate of change" continue to have her as a running mate, when she just VIOLATED STATE AND FEDERAL LAW! what happens if mccain dies? YOU WANT A PERSON THAT BROKE THE LAW PRESIDENT? no thank you. She needs to do the right thing and back away from the campaign. I'm an independent, which was going to vote for mccain, if he doesn't remove her, I'm going obama. I wouldn't want a drug dealer to represent me in the white house, or a pedophile. Why would I want her? Breaking the law is breaking the law.

Camain

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Personally I don't think Kernell's son (IF it was him, this is still yet to be proven, correct?) is going to give a rats' ass what's given to him "sentence" wise... He opened peoples eyes up to Palin's flaws (one of them at least) And showed just how easy it would be for someone (A terrorist for example) to monitor her email account.

As has been said previously she broke the law both Fed' and State'.

Technically he logged into her account without brute force and therefore somewhere down the line whether he did 'wrong' and violated her privacy, he didn't strictly "hack into" her email account.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
People who are experiencing OBS (Obama Derangement Syndrome) really believe that blaming the victim is appropriate. Isn't that a bit scary?

Her account is hacked and yet she is the criminal? Insanity.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:04 AM
link   
Was that directed at me? You seem to assume I'm against McCain/Palin and all for Obama/the other guy...

See? I don't even know Barak's running mate's name! I'm having to google it right now - Joe Biden okay got it!

I live in the United Kingdom and although of American birth, I have no civil rights to vote either way so it doesn't bother me...

The fact is HE (The 'hacker') is what? A 20 yr old University student who was happening to make a point about security flaws.

She (Palin obv') Is a bloody Governer/Senator or w/e who is RUNNING for VP of the United States of America! Using #TY Yahoo Email to run her Gov't business from! Which is a violation of both Federal and State law -- And SHE'S the victim? 0_o

They BOTH did wrong... They BOTH should have known better, they BOTH deserve the rightful "punishment" which should come to them for their "crimes"

But the fact remains that Palin is the more responsible of the two for the ENTIRE Scenario (Of course the hacker's responsible for his own actions).

You say people experiencing OBS believe blaming the victim is appropriate... I'm guessing you're a McCain/Palin supporter and you can see absolutely NO Wrongdoing on her part and still believe her to be the right person for the job?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I must of missed something.. where did it say she was conducting government business thru that e-mail account??? I could not find any thing in the article that stated that.. ???

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Your logic here is so

Try this to help you understand. If you leave your garage door open and unwatched, and then if somebody comes along and helps themselves to some of your prized possessions, it's not a criminal act because you stupidly left your door open?

Don't let partisanship blind you to logic and reality ...

Is it illegal to look into an open garage?

Nothing was removed or stolen from the mail account, only copies made of some data.

Its actually Palin herself (or her staff geek) who has been deleting her accounts on free mail providers, on which she illegaly sent federal emails.

Not to mention that the act of deleting these mail accounts and the mail therein is whats even more illegal then her initial crime.

[edit on 19/9/08 by thematrix]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by philjwolf
I must of missed something.. where did it say she was conducting government business thru that e-mail account??? I could not find any thing in the article that stated that.. ???

I'm not sure exactly how to do the whole External sources thing and all that just yet but it's on the front page before this went "public" (Which it has now done as Sky News in the UK ran a story on it last night).

Circa midnight Tuesday the 16th of September (EST) activists loosely affiliated with the group 'anonymous' gained access to U.S. Republican Party Vice-presidential candidate Sarah Palin's Yahoo email account [email protected] and passed information to Wikileaks. Governor Palin has come under criticism for using private email accounts to conduct government business and in the process avoid transparency laws.

Apparently she's been warned about it MANY times prior to this incident.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by camain
Mccain needs to retire her, and pick a new VP.

i bet you wish it would be that easy to get rid of her
nice try
she is in for the long haul and this will just be swept under the provervial rug...along with obama's terrorist ties.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Fathom]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:51 AM
link   
How many times have we seen "I'm at work right now, but will post more on this later when I am home" right here on ATS?

The hacker should do a minimum of 2 years in jail.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join