It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Are They Thinking???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I can not believe that this is the guy they want in charge of our Tax Laws.

Despite His Tax Problems, Democrats Keep Rangel as Tax-Writing Chairman

Rangel met privately Monday night with Speaker Nancy Pelosi and discussed the status of his chairmanship of the committee that oversees the nation's tax laws.

Rangel’s troubles have snowballed since July, when The Washington Post reported that he used official congressional letterhead to solicit meetings with wealthy potential donors for a public service school that bears his name at the City College of New York.

Rangel’s latest troubles came when The New York Post published allegations that that he had failed to pay at least $10,000 in back taxes or report nearly $75,000 in income from a luxury beachfront property he owns in the Dominican Republic. Rangel has since hired a forensic accountant to decipher his personal tax records, which he called a “mess.”

CNS News

I have no problem with people having tax problems, I have had quite a few myself, but I am not in charge of the Tax Laws for the entire country...

If his tax records "are a mess", I wonder what the countries tax records look like?

Semper

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:34 AM
link   
In Rangel's defense and I don't like doing this....

How can anyone know how to handle their taxes when the tax code is seemingly a trillion pages long and super confusing. I don't think there is a single person in the U.S. that understands the tax code. Additionally I think that a person as busy as Rangel would not be able to stay on top of all his personal financial issues and would be a perfect example of how taxing the tax system is not only on finances but on the time it takes to set everything in order.

I am starting to think the tax code was purposefully made to be bloated just to bust people and get more money.

Ok maybe that was a weak defense.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by wutone

As Semper pointed out, that would be a good defense for you and I, but not for the man who is supposed to be in charge of this.

If this man can't keep up with his job, we need to find someone who can.

End of story.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Unreal and totally surreal.
Golden parachutes and golden wormholes. Just the right size for any elected official to squirrel out of.

I don't know about you people. I don't like where any of this is going.

I am about the most laid back, non confrontational person on earth, but I just might have to start back on my bp meds.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
IMHO this man personafies the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality of our nations current leadership.

Is it my narrow perception, or do most if not all shamed democratic officials stay in office/chairmanship when exposed?

I'm not trolling here but it seems everytime a Republican is even remotely tied to a little hanky panky, he's GONE in an instant!

For instance, is William Jefferson, D-La still in office? After finding $90k in cash in his freezer, is the man still in office?

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
LOL. Not only is he still in office he got the finest of law firms to rule they had no right to 'invade' his congressional office on the hill. He walked, the story got deep sixed right quick. And so it goes.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
it is indeed weird.

rats that are boarding a sinking ship.

or are they a special breed mixed with lemmings because it does take courage?

I don't know but this kind of news never seize to amaze me

new topics

top topics

join