It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Test-Fires Ballistic Missile 6,700 Kilometers to Pacific

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

www.bloomberg.com

By Michael Heath

Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- Russia successfully fired its newest intercontinental ballistic missile from a submarine located in the White Sea to a target on the Pacific coast 6,700 kilometers (4,200 miles) away, the military said.

The Bulava missile was fired from the Dmitry Donskoi submarine at 6:45 p.m. and struck the Kura range on the Kamchatka Peninsula at 7:05 p.m. Moscow time yesterday, state television said. ``Initial data indicates the missile performed according to plan,'' it cited the Defense Ministry as saying.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said Russia can produce missiles capable of piercing any defenses. Yesterday's test of the Bulava, which has an estimated maximum range of 8,000 kilometers, comes as the country upgrades its rocket forces to counter a planned U.S. anti-missile shield in eastern Europe.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
With all the doom and gloom headlines nowadays, this isn't looking good.

Unless this is just a distraction from russias' economic troubles.

Anyone have an opinion?

Later,...... Ausable_Bill

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Yes, my opinion is that this is purely Russia playing "ooh, look what we have" with the USA. They already had balistic missiles capible of reaching that far and, aside from that, they have (or at least had at one time) ICBMs capible of reaching the upper levels of the atmosphere and entering sub orbital flight, virtually circumnavigating the globe. I've seen nothing to indicate that either the US or Russia doesn't still have these ICBMs in their arsenals.

This "news" is just intended by Russia to be a big "Here I am! Look at me!" attempt at making sure the world still realizes they have some level of relevance.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:26 AM
link   
seems to with arrogance of genocidal imperialist US empire, the russians are sending a message that their nuclear Missiles can obliterate any aggressor , including USA, if USA dares to do something stupid

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Haha you are funny, you need to calm that anger down abit you're gonna give yourself a heart attack! The US is here to stay

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I saw something about this earlier this month or late last month and did some research. If fired from a silo around Krasnyy it could reach San Francisco and LA. ouch.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Russia will flex it's muscles and US will return the sentiment. Rinse and Repeat vice-versa. This is the Cold War all over again peoples do not kid yourselves otherwise.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This seems to also be a pertinent response to the recent furor by Russia over the USA wanting to place missile shield technology in Poland.

Maybe the USA really intended the missile shield for Russian missiles instead of missiles from so called rogue/terrorist states in the middle east.

Sounds like a return to some type of cold war period. Not good.

Edit: I see the article at Bloomberg says as much.

[edit on 19/9/2008 by nightlark]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Does Bloomberg report USAn missile tests too. If not, why not.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Definitely "another" Cold War in progress... I say another because I mean when was the original Cold War supposed to have ended? In the early 20th century right? 1991 I do believe - But then it turned out the *official* ending was early in the 2000s; July 26, 2002 IIRC. Did it ever really end though?

And the only thing worse atm, with the attitudes of these two countries in regard to the situation, than a Cold War. - Is a not so Cold War, where it looks like this could definitely be heading.

I've got my bunker ready.

Edited to include dates.

[edit on 19-9-2008 by A55A551N]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I kinda figured it was just the typical posturing going on, but couldn't help to think it was a diversionary tactic to distract the common people away from their own economic problems.

I guess it could be a little of both.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Heh, I'm quite amused at the number of people here saying that the Cold War was such a horrible thing. The Cold War drove many of the technological acheivements the United States pioneered during the 20th century, folks. It also maintained a fairly robust and stable economy, which only faltered when Jimmy "Malaise Forever" Carter came along and tried to cut military spending. This country's true sustained boom period for the middle class, the late 40's, 50's, and 60's were thanks to the Cold war and a driving desire to build America bigger, stronger, and better than the USSR all in the name of proving capitalism was stronger than communism. Hell, I'd welcome another true ideological & philosophically driven cold war with Russia anyday.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Good points,...

I agree, alot of people don't see the bigger picture.

Atleast with the cold war we knew who the supposed enemy was.

Not like this open ended chase the shadow, insert enemy here scenario.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

For whatever reason you chose to ignore the fact that the Bulava system is a relatively new development and is still being evolved by Russian designers. In particular, they work hard to give it more missile-defense piercing capabilities.

What you mention, that Russia had ICBMs entering orbit, is a truism, because they had that since early 60s. Bulava, however, is a new generation of ICBM altogether.

Another thing is that this was a successful test after a few failures they had earlier. All in all, salient news.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

You are correct also about the reason behind this, but I think we were more talking about the timing involved with everything going down right now.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Why is everybody getting soo worried, just because Russia has a new toy to play with. What? And people are thinking it is a nother cold war. Please, No need to worry. I hope people do remember that Russia and the U.S.A has already sent out space ships to outerspace, Yeah! meaning that Russia has already the technology to build and fire missiles to blast away into space. Sooo, you do not need to worry.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I don't think that people are too terribly worried about a "new" cold war.

It is the amount of the different troubling things going on all at the same time that has some concerned, and rightly so.

Like I said earlier, I think it's all chest puffing and posturing.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
The most striking thing about this is the speed of the damn thing.

I'm sorry... 4,200 miles in 20 minutes?
Thats 12,600 miles AN HOUR.

Forgive me for being naive and relatively uninformed on missile speeds.. but doesn't this seem a bit over the top?

Rockets to the moon don't even go that fast, do they?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausable_Bill

It is the amount of the different troubling things going on all at the same time that has some concerned, and rightly so.

Ausable_Bill, I do not mean to laugh at the troubles going on all around the world. *rofl* I personaly do not think it is any cause for a alarm. The "world problems" has always been happening, because it has happen in the past and will continue to happen in the future...That's Life! There are cloudy days and there will be sunny days. Roll a dice! It wouldn't matter which number was shown, this country does this and that country will do that! It is all apart of life.

What people should be worried about is the "October 14th", why worry? Because nothing like this has happen on a global event. I really hope the ufo will appear and show the whole world.

Thanks For Reading.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join