It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question for Anti-Abortion Republicans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I live in Tennessee. It is a red state. There is a webshow called “Red State Update” that is broadcasted from Tennessee. I too used to be a neo-con before I woke up to the truth. I hear many neo-con republicans saying we need to vote for the GOP because they are pro-life, a.k.a. anti-abortion. We need them in there to help save the lives of innocent babies. For those that think that way please let me ask you a question.

Abortion was legalized during the Carter Administration. He did not have the power to over turn the supreme court ruling. If Roe V. Wade was to ever be over turned it, the ban would have to start as a bill in congress. Congress would have to pass it. Then it would go to the senate, the senate would have to pass it. Then the president would get it, the President would then have to sign the bill into law to make abortion illegal.

If for any reason it did have to go before the supreme court, it wouldn’t have been an issue. The supreme court justices are appointed by the US President. In which would most likely be people of a similar political party. So lets just focus on the years after the Carter administration. The GOP controlled both the House and the Senate all through the Reagan years until six years into the current Bush administration.

Of those years, the GOP controlled the Presidency and Supreme Court for 18 years. Eight years during the Reagan administration, four years during H. W. Bush’s administration, and six years of W. Bush’s administration. Giving us a total of 18 years that the GOP has controlled the House, Senate, Presidency, and Supreme Court since abortion was legalized.

Now here is my question to all the supporters of the Republican party because they are supposedly anti-abortion: Why is it that for 18 years the republican party had the opportunity and power to make abortion illegal, but never did?

My opinion is they never made it illegal because the Republicans aren’t really anti-abortion. They just say it to get your vote, because they know you will never vote for a third party candidate like Chuck Baldwin that is truly anti-abortion.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Umm...are you trying to make the point that the Republicans that have had office for 18 years aren't true to their supposed values or are really concerned over the issues of abortion?

I'm not personally a Republican, although i have yet to register I'm all for Independent party. I am a complete anti-abortion and i don't think anyone in office is true on any of their standings, i think probably 90% of the rats in the political world are involved in one big conspiracy to be honest, and they'll say whatever they want, being whatever they want (Republican or Democrat) and they can get away with it from the help of the MSM.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by screamo

The point is mostly about how republicans are not true to their word and if you are truly concerned about the issue of abortion, especially being anti-abortion you need to vote for someone who is truly anti-abortion. The people who are truly anti-abortion are typically in a third party or considered a traitor amongst the political party they claim.

I am against abortion. I support freedom by voting for people who actually care about freedom. You don't get those type of people in the Republican or Democratic party. People need to stop focusing on what party someone claims to be or even what the politicians say, and need to start looking at the actions of the politicians. I voted for Ron Paul in the primary. Now that he is out of the race, I plan on voting for Chuck Baldwin.

I had one guy who, I sent the same post as an email to, tell me that it is a court decision. However he doesn't understand the checks and balances of the different branches of government. If the legislative and executive branches teamed up and worked together, the could have over turned the rulings of the judicial branch and made abortion illegal.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I starred ya
I have been asking my Republican friends the same questions for years now.
They were all so happy to see Bush in office they just KNEW he would get it overturned ..lol ok ....Now they think that McCain will ...yeah ok ...
I see the Republicans manipulating them on this issue every election .
I do not believe that it will EVER be overturned and for anyone to think it will be is in denial .
I am not for abortions ...in fact my mom had a few and she never got over them mentally .which is why I pray women will take that into consideration before jumping in to get one ......I pray that no one else has to deal with it like my mom did .(and she had 5 kids and still could not get over the fact that she aborted her own child) .............

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by mrfreehugs

I've been making the same point for years now - along with the point that "pro life" is a false position. "Pro life" translates perfectly smoothly into "anti-woman" in all cases.

But yes. Abortion is a cash cow for Republicans. They're not going to touch it .

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If Roe v. Wade were suddenly overturned abortion wouldnt be magically outlawed. Just federal level legality would end and it would be up to the states how they wanted to handle the issue.

I think at some point a case related to this made its way to SCOTUS but SCOTUS refused to hear it. I have no date, case or links or anything to back that up and I really don't care to go searching. It's a non-issue for me.

Anyway, it wouldnt suddenly be outlawed nationwide. Besides, look how long its taking D.C. to comply with the Heller ruling. They keep skirting the law and creating their own little legaleze hoops and pitfalls. The same would happen to in just about any state choosing outlaw abortion if R v. W were ever overturned.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The President holds the power to appoint Supreme Court justices and Presidents tend to appoint those who hold values similar to their own, although a few appointees have surprised a few Presidents.

The Republicans can't overturn Roe v. Wade, but their SCOTUS appointees just might rule differently someday, if the case is somehow appealed.

It should be noted that not all Republicans are anti-abortion and not all Democrats are pro-abortion.

new topics

top topics

join