It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dispelling the myths and misconseptions about evolution

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by drevill
i can see the holes though, surely you can too?

I'm sure I don't know what you mean, Dave. I must admit that my expertise of evolution is limited to that of highschool textbooks and information off the internet. But I don't see anything missing.

That aside are you not annoyed the way we are taught its a dead cert though?

It is a "dead cert", that's why it's the theory of evolution. Its' the accuracy of our understanding that is in question, but that is a reality of science- ever pursuing knowledge, but never reaching the end. As our understanding of genetics increases, any minor kinks will be ironed out and more accurated predictions will be made, and the circle of science continues. What I'm opposed to is creation/id being taught in schools.

(not specifically directed at drevill)
If there is still any confusion over the "common ancestor" thing, and you still wonder why if we came from apes, that there still are apes around. Well Thunderf00t made a good analogy. "Saying that if man came from apes then why are apes still around" is comparable to saying "If americans are largely of european decent, then why are there still europeans?" The answer is obvious.

[edit on 9/21/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Absolutely brilliant thread, Good Wolf! Well thought out and researched! Star and flag! I would have to ask one question to those who dispute evolution. Is it truly because you see flaws in the theory, which is the backbone of modern biology and medicine? Or is because you can't stomach being a decendant of apes? Or is it because it contradicts some ancient Holy Book? If it is the first one, then you have grounds for your debate. If it is the latter two, then you are responding emotionally, not rationally to the data, which is rather ignorant.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

I would have to ask one question to those who dispute evolution. Is it truly because you see flaws in the theory, which is the backbone of modern biology and medicine? Or is because you can't stomach being a decendant of apes? Or is it because it contradicts some ancient Holy Book?

Don't start that argument here. I have made a thread for it here. That will completely derail the thread if you're not careful.

Edit:

But of course, I just realised you've been there from early on.

[edit on 9/22/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Good Wolf

I wasn't trying to start a debate, more like trying to get people to look at their motives and actually think about the topic from a rational and not emotional point of view. I was in no way trying to derail the topic. Sorry if it seemed otherwise, there are definitely enough threads out there for that debate. With that said, please don't answer those questions here, they were only meant as food for thought.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by JaxonRoberts]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

No, I understand that, but I think we've both seen enough empty religious rhetoric on these forums to know that they don't think outside of emotion.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Too true, my friend, too true!

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Here's an important one I would like to add:

Evolution is not random.

Mutations are random, and they are one source of variation which allows natural selection to act. However, natural selection is not random. Selection is a process directed by the environment. It's just something that naturally happens as a result of conditions present in nature.

Saying evolution is random is like dropping a rock and saying it "randomly" fell to the ground.

[edit on 22-9-2008 by SamuraiDrifter]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
The chances of a rock falling in any direction are infinitely small, but since the rock is being dropped in direct vicinity of the mass that is earth, gravity ensures that it falls down.

The chances or mutation and their ramifications are random but natural selection is just that, selective, and it provides uniformity to an otherwise random system.

In short, not random.

Thanks samurai.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
To further clarify the issue, mutations are random, but which mutations continue in the species is due to whether they help or hinder the species in it's environment. That is where natural selection steps in and it is not random. Mutation is the first step in the evolution of a species.

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
The chances of a rock falling in any direction are infinitely small, but since the rock is being dropped in direct vicinity of the mass that is earth, gravity ensures that it falls down.

Good analogy, Wolf.

"We couldn't have evolved randomly!" is one of the most common arguments I hear from creationists. It amazes me how the legislators attempting to combat the teaching of evolution know so little about it.

posted on Sep, 23 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SamuraiDrifter

That's probably why the find it so objectionable and abhorrent in the first place.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
Where is Pal Shaffer when you need him?
Alright here is another really common one:

7a. Humans did not evolve from chimps, monkeys,
Gibbons, orangutans, gorillas or any other still-living
ape species.

We share a common ancestor with all the modern primates, we did not come from them.

I don't care what you think the word 'ape' means, humans are apes. Ape is an old word that became redundant with modern taxonomy and genetics. In scientific terms ape is replaced with Hominoidea, which is a superfamily. In the superfamily, we find:

Superfamily Hominoidea:
..........Family Hominidae: great apes
..............+ Genus Homo: humans
......................# Human, Homo sapiens

[Source]

It amazes me how many times this argument gets used:

"So why are there still apes?"

..and I just read it yet again. :shk:

[edit on 25-9-2008 by riley]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Are there any more misconceptions that need to be listed?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Don't ask me! I never saw any to begin with! LOL!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join