It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada-EU trade proposal rivals scope of NAFTA

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Canada-EU trade proposal rivals scope of NAFTA

www.theglobeandmail.com

DOUG SAUNDERS

From Thursday's Globe and Mail

E-mail Doug Saunders | Read Bio | Latest Columns
September 18, 2008 at 2:00 AM EDT

LONDON — Canadian and European officials say they plan to begin negotiating a massive agreement to integrate Canada's economy with the 27 nations of the European Union, with preliminary talks to be launched at an Oct. 17 summit in Montreal three days after the federal election.

Trade Minister Michael Fortier and his staff have been engaged for the past two months with EU Trade Commissioner Peter Mandelson and the representatives of European governments in an effort to begin what a senior EU official involved in the talks described in an interview yesterday as “deep economic integration negotiations.”

If successful, Canada would be the first developed nation to have open trade relations with the EU, which has completely open borders between its members but imposes steep trade and investment barriers on outsiders.

The proposed pact would far exceed the scope of older agreements such as NAFTA by encompassing not only unrestricted trade in goods, services and investment and the removal of tariffs, but also the free movement of skilled people and an open market in government services and procurement – which would require that Canadian governments allow European companies to bid as equals on government contracts for both goods and services and end the favouring of local or national providers of public-sector services.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Well isn't this an interesting development, well so much for the NAU and the Amero.

I wonder what bush thinks of this ???

I guess we'll have to settle for AMEXRICA.

Does anyone know how reliable this source is ??

I googled the title and got lots of different hits, but they all reference Globe and Mail as the original source.

Wow if this is true.

Later,...... Ausable_Bill

www.theglobeandmail.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The source is reliable . The Globe is one of the largest National papers in Canada and Doug Sanders is a well known reporter.

Interesting news. I know we have had talks before with the EU but they never really got of the ground.

I'll have a go and see what I can find about this new initiative.

Very interesting timing on the date also. 3 days after our Federal Election. Do they know something we don't?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Well I am glad we are taking out our eggs from one basket and putting them in a variety of baskets. In case something should happen to the US we would not be dragged down with them. Don't get me wrong, it would still impact us but it won't impact us for too long.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

Thanks GAOTU789, for vetting the source.

Do let us know if you find anything significant.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
we don't need Canada ! we got all of ASIA to trade with !

Canada ! you don't belong in the EU and nobody will support you in joing you belong with united states of America!

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Ausable_Bill

Wow! Good, good find! S&F from me.

This is big news. Canada is so isolationist when it comes to trade policies sometimes. Sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not. Hopefully this can be good for everyone involved.

I would say that this should dispel any fears that PM Harper is "Bush Lite", since

A pact with the United States would be politically impossible in Europe, senior European Commission officials said.

Again, great find. And btw, the Globe and Mail, regardless of its slants and leanings, is a very legitimate source.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Of all the talk about the NAU, and the Amero, and NAFTA, and only 3 people besides myself has commented on this news?

I figured this thread would be blazing non-stop with comments.

I guess I just don't understand what "Breaking Alternative News" is.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
or this site is full of disinfo agents

Most of the users in other conspirac sites are supporting this.this just tells you the level of inflitration.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Sorry about this being off topic but,....

Why doesn't " Anonymous posts viewable on this thread??

It's kinda hard to follow and reply to a thread.

Ok, back on topic,....

Could this be some sort of a double cross by the canadian gov't?

Or, is this an expansion of NWO, behind the scenes, by integrating NAU, and EU when nobody's looking, by casting doubt on NAU?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Ausable_Bill

Maybe there isn't going to be an NAU after all. If there ever was, I doubt it's something Canada would want to be a part of. There's no way they would want the peso dragging down the Cdn $ after it achieved parity with the USD for the first time in decades last year. No way.

If there were plans for an NAU I suspect that after the Cdn $ hit parity Canada was like...eff you guys. Perhaps such a close tie with the EU is a way to prevent an NAU from happening against Canada's will?

I don't see how this can be anything but good for Canada. What is lost in bids by European firms will be made up for in an unrestricted market of 500 million people. And, it's not like they can be annexed into the EU against their will.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ausable_Bill
Of all the talk about the NAU, and the Amero, and NAFTA, and only 3 people besides myself has commented on this news?

I figured this thread would be blazing non-stop with comments.

'
Maybe you didn't get the memo....the really, REALLY important threads die and the sensationalist ones get the replies
. Happy to clear that up for you

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by sc2099

Oh, I get it now,..... Duuuh, silly me,...

People are more concerned about an individual " selling ones soul to the devil"

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
If this does happen, and it just might, I believe Canadawillend up with the short end of the stick. The is quote from the articlekinda gives someimplication for Canadian workers and their companies:

quote: The proposed pact would far exceed the scope of older agreements such as NAFTA by encompassing not only unrestricted trade in goods, services and investment and the removal of tariffs, but also the free movement of skilled people and an open market in government services and procurement – which would require that Canadian governments allow European companies to bid as equals on government contracts for both goods and services and end the favouring of local or national providers of public-sector services. :unquote

This looks to me like the EU intends to use all of Canada's wealth for they're own, and leave the taxpayers of Canada with the bill!!

Zindo

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Oceania anyone?

We need less free trade and globalist nonsense, not more. Canadians need to consider a NAFTA withdrawl, not an expansion of free trade with yet another massive market. Hasn't anyone learned anything from NAFTA? Why do we continue to make deals whereby we simply give away our natural wealth and open up our domestic industry to cheaper foreign competion? I smell treason...

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Orwells Ghost]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
europe seams to want to rule the world..i hope the bush war machine dont look at us as a threat and start bombing us....lol

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
So, will Canadians welcome the influx of EU companies underbidding them? Will they enjoy the benefits of economic integration with EUtopia? Will it serve the Canadian interest? It's seems a shame that all that virgin land will up for corporatist exploitation - but I suppose its no different from now.

I am unclear as to why this is good for a resource rich country like Canada?

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
To me this agreement doesn't do anything to stop the formation of a NAU, in fact it looks to me as if this is a planned move so that when the NAU is formed it will have an instant integration with the EU.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Sweet, more foreign enitities get the chance to pillage our natural resources

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
You know what really gets my goat?
No one asked me.

When were Canadians consulted on NAFTA?
What about the so-called North American Co-Prosperity Pact?
And now this European BS.
No one asked me.

For too long our governments have been composed of a bunch of non-accountable ass clowns who put the interests of globalism ahead of their own people, the very people they are elected to represent. Peaceful protest you say?

See Montebello.

I'm getting real tired of this...

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Orwells Ghost]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join