It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Uses Sesame Street

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

I don't think that is unwise in the least. There are very few ppl, let alone agencies that I trust whole heartedly when it comes to my children.

Their little minds soak it all up quicker than most want to acknowledge and I know there are many out there who are willing to take advantage.

[edit on 20-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma
OK, it looks like we are starting to agree here.

You're right, both parenting methods are equally 'good'. And yes, it is unwise to simply assume that anyone save oneself has ones best interests at heart. But surely you will agree that as financial and social pressures increase in our society, finding time for parenting becomes harder and harder? Ironically, as the father of two teens, I have found that a large part of that financial pressure is coming from schools, extra-curricular activities, graduation, etc.

With that increase in difficulty finding time to spend with the children comes the desire to find alternatives, safe alternatives, to make up for the difference. And what better way to instill priorities in impressionable young minds than to use this societal evolution to slip propaganda to the children?

Remember, one is not paranoid if everyone really is out to get them.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I've also noticed this trend, both at my place and when I was over at several friends' houses.

It's really allready in progress, have you ever watched the Simpsons for example?

Really cute, really cudly, really downright sick in those Itchy and Scratchy scenes.. but most of us have other things to do then spend time with the kids, then to sit around with them to bond and to check which programs can be trusted to keep it clean. a necesity indeed but the way the world works not practical enough for a lot of us.

And then it comes around and bites us in the bottom-back when they grow up to have been raised with some serious disorders.

And on the other side, even if you watch your kid's television behavior your kids' social options will become slightly hindered when they can't talk with their friends about them.

I for myself remember me in school talking about our favorite series, and trying to 'recreate' some more memorable moments

It's so ingrained in our culture that it really does a lot to disrupt a family.
And when they finally come for our kids we'll be so mindwiped and loveless that we'll say 'close the door on your way out, will ya? Don't wanna miss a minute of the Superbowl, you know?'

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Phatcat

The Simpsons may be a bad example to use for what you're getting at. Groening was a pioneer. Before the Simpsons ever came to pass (on the mature audience themed Tracy Ullman show, no less) he was penning a little comic strip called "Life in Hell." Few newspapers would even carry it thanks to the fact that it was very ascerbic and acrid satire with very mature themes. When Fox picked up the Simpsons & went prime time with them it was an experiment. They wanted to see if they could do what had been done with the last successfull prime time animated sitcom (The Flintstones decades ago) in today's world. The show was never geared towards children who love cartoons, it was geared towards adults who loved cartoons as children.

Yes, the show does try to keep it toned down to some degree and much of the underlying mature themes are contexted in such a manner that they hope to go over the little ones' heads, but it's still not really intended to be a true family show.

BTW, that reminds me of a very disturbing trend I've noticed lately. When in the hell did the family cable networks like ABC Family or CBS Family become anything but family channels? My wife TIVOs (I think) ER reruns from one of those channels and ocassionally she'll watch an episode while I'm reading or playing DS. I've seen more advertisements for programs dealing with teenage sex, date rape, incest, murder, serious drug issues, bipolar disorders, eating disorders, and just overall non-family themed movies of the week and TV show series seemingly geared towards teens than I can even begin to list here... ALL ON THE "FAMILY" NETWORKS! What the hell is that?!?!? When I see the word "family" attached to an entertainment outlet or media source, I assume that it's something basically appropriate for any family member, the little ones, the teens, the parents, and even old Granny. I've got a 2 1/2 YO and a 10 MO and looking into the future I can't see a day until they're in their late teens that I'd be even remotely comfortable with them sitting down and watching that filth.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneckBut surely you will agree that as financial and social pressures increase in our society, finding time for parenting becomes harder and harder? Ironically, as the father of two teens, I have found that a large part of that financial pressure is coming from schools, extra-curricular activities, graduation, etc.

With that increase in difficulty finding time to spend with the children comes the desire to find alternatives, safe alternatives, to make up for the difference. And what better way to instill priorities in impressionable young minds than to use this societal evolution to slip propaganda to the children?

Remember, one is not paranoid if everyone really is out to get them.

Maybe change the outlook you have. See, too many ppl are buying into what they are being told they MUST buy into. Anything that is beyond your means of paying for w/ what you have on hand (meaning you have to use credit), you don't need. Also, your children do not need to be involved in extra curricular activities galore. Let them each pick one. We are allowing the pressures of society to get to us when we push or support them in their efforts for overachieving.

I would rather my sons learn to be simple and enjoy the less noticed but more valuable things in life than to feel the need to succumb to what everyone else thinks they should.

I would rather teach them to only want what we have so that we will always be satisfied and not caught in the 'web' of desire.

Simplicity really is simple, but bc it requires retraining, most turn their noses up at it. Once you train yourself though to live well with in your means and simplify your life, you will find other ppl silly as they rush around to and fro fretting over the most useless things.

There were two quotes that immediately came to mind when I read the view on being paranoid. They are the following two and in this order:

People are not disturbed by things, but by the view they take of them. ~Epictetus

There are two types of people - those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are." ~Frederick L. Collins

There is a battle of wits going on and the ones who will win will be the first type of ppl in that last quote regardless of their education and/or material wealth. You have a right to be here and you have a right to live your life the way you want, period.... end of story.

Men with lesser means than what we have at our disposal have accomplished great things in their lives and touched the lives of many in the process. Remember, we far out number those who we consider "the elite".. couple that advantage with a touch of genius, and I don't really see the need for worrying about the future or them.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Maybe change the outlook you have.

justamomma, I know you're heart is in the right place, but you really have no idea who you are speaking to or what you are advocating. I have no debt whatsoever, and haven't had for over a decade. I live way out in the country where we can grow or build anything we need. My family eats beans and 'taters rather than canned processed 'artificial food'. I'm working on a chicken house. I have a decent savings. My kids both know the value of hard work and dedication. I live in an old mobile home that is serving as temporary housing while we build our house around it with our own hands. I even drive an old '87 Chevrolet pickup.

But despite all this, I have no intention of denying my children the benefits society has to offer, especially since for many decades I have paid for these advantages for them through taxes. For instance: college entrance is based in part on academics, and in part on extra-curricular activities. I have a daughter who is quite possibly going to graduate this year as Valedictorian. She has already attended the most prestigious University in the region during her junior/senior summer, and left with a 3.8 GPA. She has interests outside the home: church functions, school activities (such as SGA and the Beta Club), and charity work (we help out Habitat For Humanity when possible). She has a bright future ahead of her in her chosen field of psychiatry, and it was those extra-curricular activities in large part that got her admitted to that University program.

Would you like a list of what we have had to purchase throughout the years of 'public-provided' high school?

• School pictures run $30 a year, for small packages.

• Lab fees have cost me about $200 thus far.

• I paid to have her picture included in her sophomore year in The National Honor Roll, and purchased a book as a memoir for her. We have allowed her to be included in the years since, but have not purchased the book or included the picture. Cost: $50, and I do plan on purchasing one more book for her senior year.

• Approximately every two weeks, there is some sort of gathering on one of the two clubs she is in to help with college admission. The cost to the family: average $15 for food, $20 in gasoline to take her.

• The cheapest class ring she could find: $250.00

• Dual enrollment classes, again to make sure she has the best possible head start on her college career are the same cost as if she attended the college itself. According to her, the number of credits she will be able to get: 24. Add in her transcripts from this past summer, and she may start college as a sophomore. But the total cost: around $3600.00

• Graduation costs: unknown at this time, but I would bet good money it is well into the hundreds of dollars.

• Senior pictures (from the school! Required for her to be in the yearbook): $35 sitting fee and $150.00 for the smallest package to allow anyone but us to have a pic of her.

And so far this is only high school! College starts this coming summer, although I understand she may get a free ride because of everything she has participated in and her academic standing. I have not included her senior trip (because she didn't get one), the special opportunity programs that I have had to pass on due to the outrageous cost, or the other programs she wanted to participate in but couldn't due to my work schedule and the cost.

This also doesn't include my son, who has just entered high school. He is heading (probably) toward engineering, with trade school as well. Now, I realize we could live on a farm and raise our own crops for food, milk the cows before school, and wear hand-me-down clothes all the time (we already use hand-me-downs some), but isn't that a little ridiculous? It is to me.

And I don't believe I am blowing things out of proportion. the only way we cold trim any 'fat' from our present budget would be to either become farmers as I mentioned, or to forgo her hopes and dreams.

I'm sorry, justamomma, but you seem to be living in some kind of fantasy land. There are expenses to raising children, like it or not. I intend to pay those and not take away excessive time from my family. I do it at the loss of many of my own dreams and wants, but I consider my kids to be worth it. And I consider part of that education to be allowing them to experience the things that I never had the opportunity for. She has worked hard for the future she has, and by all that is Holy, she will get it as long as I draw breath!

I'll let my daughter know to be on the lookout years from now. If your children ever need her services, maybe she'll give them a discount. Sounds like they might need it. All my best to you.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
One of the really enjoyable advantages to ATS is to be able to read the pearls of wisdom that come from some of the posts.
Over this year, I have had the honor of reading many of TheRedneck's posts, and I have to say, they are inspiring. I admire what he is, as well as what he says, and I know what a wonderful dad he is.
In reading the post of justamomma. I also see beauty in many of your thoughts.
You know what I think... you are BOTH right. There are many paths to happiness, and if the path you choose is one that you believe in, and it makes you happy, God Bless you.
There is a link that leads to a site called "Paths to Happiness":
www.psitek.net...
I will quote a few excepts, but I hope that people go to this site and read it in its entirety, because there truly are words of wisdom there. What is interesting, is that both of you have mentioned some of the steps.

1. Live the simple life.

To live the simple life is not to return to primitive conditions nor to decide to be satisfied with nothing, or next to nothing. It is possible to live the simple life in the midst of all the luxuries that wealth can buy, because simplicity does not spring from the quantity of possession but from the arrangement of possession.

2. Live the serene life.

Be calm, peaceful, quiet and undisturbed in all things and at all times. Confusion and hurry waste energy, and it is a well known fact that depression and gloom are produced, in most instances, simply by the energy of the system running low.

3. Be in love with the world.

He who loves much will be loved much in return, and there is nothing in the world that can give more joy and higher joy than an abundance of real love. The selfish love, that is only personal, and that must be gratified to be enjoyed, gives but a passing pleasure, the reaction of which is always pain. When we love with such a love we are always unhappy when not directly loved in return, and the purely selfish love never brings real love in return. When we love everybody with the pure love of the soul, that love that does not ask to be loved in return but loves because it is loved, we shall positively be loved in return; and not simply by a few here and there, but by great numbers.

4. Be useful.

"Give to the world the best that you have and the best will come to you." Hold nothing back. If you have something that you can share with the world, let everybody have it today. Do all that you can for everybody, not because you expect reward, but because it is a part of your nature. Be all that you can be and do all that you can do. Never say, "I will do only as much as I am paid for." Such an attitude has kept many a person in poverty for life. Reward is an effect, not a cause.

5. Think and speak the beautiful only.

Every word or thought that you express will return to you. Never say anything to make others discouraged or unhappy; it will come back to yourself. He who gives unhappiness to others is giving unhappiness to himself.

6. Forgive and forget everything that seems wrong.

We have spent many a weary day simply because we persisted in remembering something that was unpleasant. Forget the wrong and it will disturb you no more. Forgive others for what they have done and you will have no unpleasant memories to cloud the sky of your mental world. When people speak unkindly of you, never mind.

7. Be perfectly contented with the present.

Contentment, however, does not mean to be so satisfied with present conditions that we do not care to change them. True contentment not only appreciates the full value of the present, but also appreciates those greater powers in life that can perpetually add to the value of the present;

8. Seek the ideal.

Look for the ideal everywhere; live in ideal environments when possible; but if not possible in an external sense create for yourself an ideal environment in the internal sense. Live in ideal mental worlds no matter what external worlds may be. Associate as much as possible with ideal people, and if you are living an ideal life in your own mental and spiritual life, you will attract ideal people wherever you go.

9. Develop the whole man.

To promote an orderly growth throughout your entire being is highly important, and to establish perfect harmony of action among all the various members of mind and body is indispensable to happiness. Develop everything in your nature and place all the elements in your being in perfect harmony. You will thus ascend perpetually to higher states of being and greater realms of joy.

Much of the discord and unhappiness that comes into life is the direct result of one-sidedness and undevelopment, and these can be permanently removed only through the orderly development of the whole man. Body, mind and soul must be perfectly balanced in every sense of that term. The more perfectly you are balanced the greater will be your joy, because a balanced nature is conducive to harmony, and harmony is conducive to happiness.

10. Open the mind to beautiful thoughts only.

The world is full of thoughts, all kinds of thoughts, but only those that are invited will come to you. There is nothing that affects life more than the thoughts we think; and the thoughts we are to think will depend almost entirely upon our mental attitude towards that which we meet in life. When we resolve to receive only beautiful thoughts from everything with which we come in contact the change for the better in life will be simply remarkable. All things will become new. We will actually enter a new heaven and a new earth, and the joys of existence will multiply many times.

11. Be in touch with the harmony of life.

The universe is full of music, and happy is the soul that can hear the symphonies of heaven; he can find no greater joy. Every soul that has been in tune with higher things is familiar with that deep pleasure that comes to mind when the sensations of sublime harmony sweetly thrill every fibre of being; and we can all so live that we can be in tune with the music of the sphere.

12. Consecrate every moment to the higher life.

The mind that is ever ascending can never be sad. Perpetual ascension means perpetual joy. The happiest moments that come to you are those moments that come when you see yourself rising in the scale of sublime existence. You are then ascending to the heights.

I believe these are words to live by. The website has a button to "send this to a friend", by the way.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Thank you for the kind words and the link to the site

I agree. I think TheRedneck has posted up many wise and thought provoking posts, including in this thread.

In response to his last one:
I know that it appears that I am living in a fantasy world.. if only I could, then trust me, I would. I understand reality (more than most, I am afraid). I am a single mother of 2 young sons who bears the brunt of responsibility both emotionally, physically, and yes, financially.

They are both in school and so I understand the expenses. I hate having to tell them "no" to certain things, but I do.. I do it both because I refuse to succumb to the pressures of they "should have such and such" and realize that what they NEED is the necessities and my attention rather than being stuck in school and then daycare so that I can give them what all the rest of the kids have.

I have actually been blessed with a keen mind that has allowed me to figure out ways to earn enough $$ for extras while being here for them, but IF it ever came down to choosing between desires and being here for them, I will choose the latter. All they NEED is a decent (not a huge) roof over their heads, water to drink, food in their bellies, and clothes (not designer) on their back. Everything else is icing on the cake that will only be there so long as I can be there to raise them and teach them the important things in life as well.

Like I said, I have been blessed with a keen mind so they have things such as playstation, cool toys, a bigger roof over their heads than we actually need... we also can afford:

1)the pictures from school
2)they take part in sports (which is great bc I played sports as well and learned a lot from it)
3)they go to one of the best schools (out of our district.. I pay the out of district expense to keep them there along w/ the extra gas to drive them back and forth which is over an hour and half a day of extra driving)
4)their "spirit" t-shirts so they can race across the field before the football game which serves no other purpose than to make them "feel" a part of it
5)blah blah blah

But ultimately, they are well aware that these are things that we can afford w/out having to turn to spending money we don't have. If it comes to sacrificing my time with them to be able to afford one of these "extras," I will sacrifice their extra first and if they don't like it and if their peers make fun of them, so be it.. they will learn the valuable lesson of saying "f*** off" as I had to when I was growing up.

You mentioned a senior ring. This is great that they can have that and that you want them to have one... but being the adult that I am, I just couldn't stress myself and sacrifice my time with them in exchange for being able to get that for them if the choice had to be made. The reason why is that I have one and it sits in my jewelry box now pretty much meaningless in its material worth and sentimental value (especially meaningless considering that what I really value now is the times my parents told me "no" to getting what i wanted bc they understood that their being there for me was more important... it was).

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Well, I have a confession to make, justamomma. I let you strike a nerve.

There was more than a little anger on my last post to you, mainly because of the reference to 'overachievers'. I am blessed to have two of those, although I really don't push them very much. I push my daughter none, actually; she pushes herself to the point I finally demand she do something besides study (never thought I would have to tell my children to STOP studying
).

I have already sacrificed everything I have and pretty much everything I ever dreamed of having, for them. And I have to say I do not regret it one bit. The happiest days of my life have been watching them receive awards and praise from others. You see, in my day, being smart was a curse, not a blessing. There were no accolades for my achievements, because I didn't play many sports. I guess you could say that I somehow achieve all of the great things I used to dream of whenever my children receive their dreams.

I have read many of your other posts, and found you to be a thoughtful and caring person from them. The post I am replying to also shows this. So I humbly apologize for my anger and ask for your forgiveness.

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

They are both in school and so I understand the expenses. I hate having to tell them "no" to certain things, but I do.. I do it both because I refuse to succumb to the pressures of they "should have such and such" and realize that what they NEED is the necessities and my attention rather than being stuck in school and then daycare so that I can give them what all the rest of the kids have.

I have actually been blessed with a keen mind that has allowed me to figure out ways to earn enough $$ for extras while being here for them, but IF it ever came down to choosing between desires and being here for them, I will choose the latter. All they NEED is a decent (not a huge) roof over their heads, water to drink, food in their bellies, and clothes (not designer) on their back. Everything else is icing on the cake that will only be there so long as I can be there to raise them and teach them the important things in life as well.

In your situation, I would do the same thing. You are living #1 in that link that I mentioned to the fullest. Although we all strive to try to do as many of those things as possible, circumstances many times prevent us from succeeding. The items that you mentioned ARE the most important things in life, and it is obvious, you are a great mother, just as Redneck is a great father. Both of your children are very lucky.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hey, this is great.
Let's all Have A Group Hug.
HUG>>>>>

Have a Great Evening. It's bedtime for me.
Good night Redneck
Good night Justamama
Good night John Boy.........

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
A partnership between Homeland Security and Sesame Street... to what end?
A new character "Ahmed the Talibomber"?

It should be brutally clear to anyone who reads this news brief that it's an attempt to seed nationalistic ideals into the children.

Even scarier than the fact that they're using children as a target for their psychological terrorism, is the fact that one doesn't use children, unless they intend to keep their agenda around for generations.

Which means we have to do the same, I hate to say it, but these dirty tactics can't be met with the usual exposition of the truth we decent people usually undertake.

Unfortunately, we are going to have to find a way to fit Homeland Security and Secret Service, into the same concepts in the next generations mind as Fascism, War, and Terrorism.

I can't bring myself to do this through the governments mode of fear induced propaganda, I refuse to become them... but luckily the foundation is already there to work with at least. The last people notorious for using Homeland Security and SS teams was the Nazi party in the 1930's - 1940's.

So long as they don't stop teaching the history of world war 2, we should be able to open at least some eyes to exactly what Homeland Security and the SS are, through the pre-existing educational curriculum, without any modifications. All the parents have to do is connect the dots for them, a simple reminder to the effect of "And we now have Homeland Security and SS as well."

But don't go trying to use any mode of fear to do it. Don't turn it into a boogieman story for them. Just connect the dots.

Using fear is the Bush administrations tactic, and it's deplorable.

posted on Sep, 21 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

There was no offense taken by the post I replied to last... not even in the least. The great thing about this whole issue is that YOU are the best parent that YOUR children could have and I am the best parent that MY kids could have. We don't see things eye to eye in every sense, but no doubt we both will have children that we are proud to turn out into the world.

Doesn't sound to me like either of us are expecting society, let alone the government raise our babies (and yes, as you know, they will always be our babies). I would love to fight for all the other little kiddies out there, but the gods blessed me with these two and so I make sure that my focus is not divided anymore than it has to be, which is where I was coming from concerning this topic. My responsibility is to them.

To the OP, you are right.. and thank you for taking notice that both our kids our blessed. It does hurt me more than most might guess to think of the little ones across the world who aren't so blessed to have parents that care so much as we do about our kiddos. If ever an opportunity presented itself to where my boys and I could sacrifice personal gain (not necessities, mind you) in order to take in a child less fortunate, it would be done in a heartbeat. As long as my sons' needs are taken care of, we are blessed enough.

[we got off topic, i know.... sorry
]

[edit on 21-9-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Sep, 22 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You are correct that our responsibility is first and foremost to our own children, but I believe it is also my duty to help others in time of need. Thusly, my statement about if my neighbor's house were on fire, I would call the Fire Department. And when I see a program such as the one we are discussing, with all of the possibilities of abuse so ripe within it (read my earlier posts about the atrocities already from the DHS), I see it as my duty to at least alert others.

And in the long run, you could say that even that is for my children. Children learn by seeing, much more so than by hearing. They see how their parents behave in society and copy these behaviors. As would be expected, because it is 'normal' for children to admire their parents. I therefore try to show the values in everyday life, from job performance to deciding who to vote for to what I say when talking with my friends, in a way I would like them to emulate.

Now, if memory serves, neither child has seen my posts on this thread (they do read a lot of my posts). As such, they would not be aware of my positions here at the moment. But should I start trying to change my positions based on whether or not they are watching me, I would eventually slip up, and I have no doubt they would see through the deception easily.

If my house were on fire, I would like them to call the Fire Department. And if they had knowledge of a governmental program that had possibility to harm me, I would want them to tell me about it. So I do the same with others.

I have to say, despite my knee-jerk reaction to you earlier, I do admire certain aspects of your philosophy. The strongest person is one who can stand alone without governmental aid. Bravo to you for taking simple moral stands, and I hope your children pick up on those and cherish them. That is indeed a part of my own morality as well.

You are also a single mother, and that has to be trying. I know my wife has a horrible time trying to control two teens, one of them a boy who is definitely all boy and in adolescence. A boy needs the (sometimes harsh) hand of a father at this age, and I am thankful I can be here to give him guidance right now. But despite your difficulties, I urge you to occasionally look beyond the veil of previous thought and consider what evils may lurk undiscovered in society. You will no doubt be shocked at how many demons are hiding just outside your door.

edit to include shameless plug
: I have a thread you would probably find interesting about the exact thing we are discussing here, in more general terms. Perhaps you might wish to check it out at www.abovetopsecret.com...

TheRedneck

[edit on 22-9-2008 by TheRedneck]

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join