It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book report time: Communion by Whitley Streiber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I recently just finished this book and I just wanted to share my opinion on it; as well as find out other ATS'ers opinions.

The interesting thing about Communion is that Whitley never claims that he was visited by aliens but instead simply claims that as far as he can tell, he was visited by something and it had a profound effect on him.

There are a lot of transcripts in the book which are taken from Whitley's hypnosis / therapy sessions in which he recounts, in detail, his experiences with what he calls "the visitors".

Much of these transcripts can get pretty long and tedious, not to mention redundant. That said, there is an interesting chapter where Whitley makes some arguments and shares some ideas on the origin of the visitors, what they want and why they're here. To some, it may be a tad "new-agey" but I thought it was one of the more compelling parts of the book.

Judging by Streiber's apparent honesty and the legitimacy surrounding his story, I think I can say that I believe that he believes that he was visited by "something". I don't know if they are UFO's or if he underwent some kind of hysteria.

There are some random little facts like how he mentions that the visitors have a offensive odor like sulfur and cardboard. He talks about them being humanoid in appearance, some even wearing denim overalls (?). Some of it can be pretty out there, but it's fascinating all the same.

I'd like to know if there is any validity to his claim that his experience is in sync with many others who claim to have been visited. A lot of the experience is shared among all different kinds of abductees which, if true, could be an interesting part of the puzzle. I'd just like to hear of these other alleged cases in detail.

All in all, I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in the subject. I'm sure a lot of you have already read it, but to anyone who hasn't; it seems this book is more or less "essential reading" or UFO buffs and the like.

Let me know what you guys thought of the book.

Btw, the next book I plan on reading after I finish the one I'm reading now is : The THREAT: THE SECRET AGENDA WHAT THE ALIENS REALLY WANT AND HOW THEY PLAN TO GET IT - by David M Jacobs. (www.amazon.com...)

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Something a lot of people don't seem to know is that he wrote some (for lack of a better word) sequels to communion. I forget the exact order but I believe I have it listed correctly

Communion

Transformation

The Communion Letters

Breakthrough

The Secret School

Confirmation

Ive read all but confirmation. It doesn't really go into his personal story like the others, it is more of a book containing research he has done on the phenomena. I do own confirmation but I haven't ever been to interested in reading it, From what ive seen of it there is nothing in there that I haven't already heard.

Thats the only book by Strieber that I don't like though.

He has other Non fiction books too. "The Key", "The Path" and "The coming Global Superstorm". I have not read them but I plan to do so.

Fiction books that I have read are " The Forbidden Zone", "The Gray's", and I am currently reading "2012, War For Soul's"

As you can tell I love Whitley Strieber's books.

Sorry for rambling, I had intended to just tell you the names of the sequels but got carried away.

Peace

G.S.Truth

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:44 AM
link   
Hi there,yea I read communion many years ago,and enjoyed it
though felt the whole thing was just another of Streibers fictional
novels.I am not saying that he never had any experiences of some sort,but personally I believe that at some point he has been got at and used to debunk the subject , and has turned into another fear monger.
The front cover is a give away in my opinion as it doesn`t even represent the beings he supposedly had contact with, and is just an artists impression.That cover has now been imprinted on many peoples minds , and they use it as a definitive image of the gray visitors,which is completely wrong imo.
I believe there to be a fraction of truth in his books(he may well have had a sighting),and he`s been making a mint out of these tales by exaggerating all the details,and I now see him as a disinfo agent and not to be trusted,with his doom and gloom novels ,and of no help in trying to understand this phenomenon.
There are a few threads already on this guy.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.conspiracyarchive.com...
Cheers!

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Elmer_Dinkley]

[edit on 19-9-2008 by Elmer_Dinkley]

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 05:13 AM
link   
ive read that book and enjoyed it, but whitley strieber is an author of horror stories, i think he's been clever and hit the jackpot by writing fiction and passing it off as genuine experience, its now give him a steady and wealthy income. reminds me of scientology a bit, an author comes up with fiction he usually writes about says its real and claims a large following and lots of cash. I guess ive become cynical but when something is too convenient it doesn't feel right.

new topics

top topics

join