It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.: Six major countries to seek new sanctions against Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   

news.xinhuanet.com

Representatives from the United States, China, Russia, Britain, France and Germany will seek to move forward with new sanctions against Iran as Tehran refuses to comply with United Nations resolutions, the State Department said Thursday.

Iran has failed to comply with the demands of the UN Security Council and to cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
It's on. What's more the Security Council is meeting next Wednesday in Vienna and sanctions against Iran is on the agenda.

Of course it doesn't help with comments like this:

Iran vows no nuclear retreat despite sanctions threat

Mahmood Ahmadinejad said Iran will not suspend sensitive nuclear work as demanded by world powers and brushed aside the threats of more sanctions on his country.

World powers have offered a package of trade and other incentives if the Islamic Republic suspends uranium enrichment, a process the West believes Iran is seeking to master to build nuclear warheads. Iran denies the charge.

"Whatever they do, Iran will continue its activities. Sanctions are not important," he told a news conference. "The era of such threats has ended."

Sorry for posting this again, I thought the meeting had occured but it is today.

Major powers to discuss Iran amid Russia tension

Major powers meet in Washington on Friday to haggle over a fourth round of U.N. sanctions against Iran, but tensions with Russia and the U.S. political calendar hang over the timing of any new measures.

news.xinhuanet.com

[edit on 18/9/08 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shere Khaan

news.xinhuanet.com

Iran has failed to comply with the demands of the UN Security Council and to cooperate with the International Atomic Energy Agency, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said.

That sounds strikingly familiar, where did I hear that from.................ohh

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
You mean the sanctions which have already been on Iran for some time? Well to be fair they only cover certain industries that can be associated with the production of HEU.

I guess they're talking about full blown trade sanctions which will definitely hurt Iran since they have no capability to refine the oil they drill for.

[edit on 18/9/08 by Shere Khaan]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
i was reading the bbc
despite all the sanctions being thrown at them
its not effecting their economic growth,
aslo its unlikely China or russia would enforce an arms ban on them

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I really don't think there's any chance of new sanctions against Iran. No chance. Russia will use its veto.

Friday, September 12, 2008

Russia says no to war, sanctions on Iran

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev says he will not accept military action or new sanctions against Iran over its nuclear activities.

"We should not take any unilateral steps. It is not acceptable to opt for a military scenario," President Medvedev said Friday at the Valdai Club, which sees journalists and academics specializing on Russia.

"We should not adopt any additional sanctions now," he warned.

(Source: Press TV)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I would have agreed with you a week ago Chips, but I think Russia is playing a much more complex game and playing off hte US and Iran to secure it's interests near home. Did you notice how Russia wants to settle the undersea Arctic borders now? The timing is no coincidence.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yeah the report is from the US department view...

"So the agreement is to move forward with a new sanctions resolution, and we'll discuss that," he said.

So of course the US will move towards sanctions.. Russia and China? Not so much.

We'll see what comes from the meeting this week-end.

top topics

join