It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret eco-village tribe living off the grid in wales

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
What a beautiful little house. I am extremely jealous.

For the last few years I have been planning out what I would like my first house to be; tucked away and self sufficient. It wouldn't be too difficult...if only I had the money for the land.

Hey, my heritage is mostly Welsh, I should get an invite.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I could never understand this fascination with wanting to live like a peasant in the middle ages...

If you really wanted to do so, you would have done it. After all living like this is considerably cheaper than the life you are living right now (presumably, since you're using a computer).

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

Living like a peasent is not at all what I want. I want a sulf sustaining, off-the-grid home. I like the outdoors, gardening and being 'tucked out of the way'.

Just thought I would clarify that; seeing as I am not the only member here who wants it.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

Sure I can understand the rural idyll, but this guy in Wales became a hermit living in a hovel!

I think the perfect compromise is a house with about 40 acres of woodland surrounding it, near a major town, on-grid. (Not much sense in living off-grid without electricity or running water/ sewage).

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I've been searching for these for sometime. I think this is their website thevillagelife If not then the people from this site are doing the same thing.

Sorry the link I just posted is not to their site.
I have just reread the post and realise they do have a site.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by dreameruk]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 44soulslayer
reply to post by spines

Sure I can understand the rural idyll, but this guy in Wales became a hermit living in a hovel!

I think the perfect compromise is a house with about 40 acres of woodland surrounding it, near a major town, on-grid. (Not much sense in living off-grid without electricity or running water/ sewage).

Their houses look fairly comfy actually.

People need to start reading through threads before posting. If you would have read before posting you would have seen the pictures of their homes, which look far from a hermits home.

Another thing you would have discovered had you read before posting, is that they DO use electricity via solar panels and wind turbines.

One guy even runs his website on his laptop through their eco-friendly energy.

[edit on 25-9-2008 by ben420]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to
post by bringthelight

Hey all,

Awesome thread OP, probably one of the best I have come across during my time on ATS so kudos to you.

This is exactly the sort of thing that I have been planning on when sit X hits the fan. I would not attempt it at the moment as with the governments still functioning it would just be too much hassle; tax this, planning permission for what ever you want to build etc.

The system is a joke and very set against people who would like to follow their hearts and create their own communities. Hence why no one can actually own the land in England, Wales or Scotland; you can lease or freehold but believe me when I tell you that the Queen owns all of the aforementioned land; don’t believe me do some research.

I for one think this is amazing and luckily for me they cannot be more than a couple of hours drive so if they don’t mind visitors I will be heading over their to take a look.

People could learn some really good lessons from these types of folks and I for one intend to.
Also why do people think that going back to basics like this means losing all technology??? I find this very confusing as to me it seems that we should live more in harmony with technology and not let it rules all of our lives as it currently does!

With solar panels or wind power and some satellite connection time it is possible to be on the internet almost anywhere in the world; simple really; don’t ask me how you would pay for your satellite time though lol probably some sort of bartering with the locals or something along those lines. And when it comes to TV, consoles, DVD’s and all the other crap I could quite happily leave behind. I would rather be in a small community sharing a unique bond with my fellow communists than living in some urban cave with cctv watching my every move.

Peace all.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ben420

We clearly have vastly differing interpretations of what is comfy.

To me, this is a 21st century hovel : i.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I could never understand this fascination with wanting to live like a peasant in the middle ages...

Ummm...... solar panels/wind energy, charging a battery bank coupled to a phase inverter that provides useable power...

Internet via a mobile service, plugged in via a USB adapter, running on a laptop that doubles as a TV because it has a tuner card in it

&

Composting toilets that biologically reduce waste to a level that allows it to be put back onto the land.

All in a house that is super insulated naturally, using the ground and space/light heating concepts, with a sustainable wood chip/bark burning heating system for the winter months.

Thats not peasant living. Thats the future.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I think its both

I cant see myself living like this. There is no reason to! Technology has all the answers to environmental concerns- society should focus on implementing them rather than scaling back development.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   

reply to post by spines

I have that, with 30 acres, living along a mountain overlooking a town. My land is all woodlands, I do not hunt, and allow the animals to roam freely around me. It's a great experience for my family, even the black bears that wander around are a fun thing to watch. I do live on-grid and have a well, electricity and am moving to fully heat this year with wood vs. oil and wood like last year. Making our home a little less dependent every year has helped.

I don't think I'd go as far as living in a mudhut, but I do have the seclusion that lets me enjoy nature at it's best.

A_L

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I have toyed with the idea of living a less stressful life in such an environment. Actually, with the use of a few cheap 40'X8' cargo containers, an underground home is really practical from a "green" standpoint.

And technology is such now that one could have the best of both worlds. The problem is having the secluded land to live in such a way.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
I noticed they use solar panels - something I have been looking at for a short time - does anyone know the carbon footprint of the manufacturing of solar panels? From what I can tell about the process it seems to be something that would have to be done in a factory somewhere.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Wow, it all looks and sounds amazing but would I really mentally adapt to it after all the time I have been in the lifestyle I have been living?

It would be nice...

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Those houses look awesome and their land looks great as well.
I was actually born on a hippy commune in the late 70's and there were a few houses made using straw bales and all that eco-friendly stuff...outhouses etc.
The commune was started in the late 60's or early 70's, I forget, but they haven't officially been a commune since the 80's and the main road is paved with asphalt now.
They still run their eco-village courses and educate their community on all aspects of living harmoniously and peacefully in nature, but certain necessities are undeniable, I suppose.

To me, living off the land and building your own home like these guys did would be the ideal way to live so long as you did things correctly to keep things as naturally sustainable as possible.
I'll have to go read their site, but I'd think having a reinforced dome of earth as a roof would be ideal for insulation and as the grass roots spread around, they'd probably reinforce the structure and resilience to the elements.

One of the things that I find difficult in today's society is being burdened by another's desire for excess and, at least for me, the need to have a roommate to sustain my everyday needs and expenses.

I would much prefer to live within my own needs and off the grid. Then I can say "I'm all right, Jack. Keep your hands off of my stack."

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neformore

Ummm...... solar panels/wind energy, charging a battery bank coupled to a phase inverter that provides useable power...

Internet via a mobile service, plugged in via a USB adapter, running on a laptop that doubles as a TV because it has a tuner card in it

&

Composting toilets that biologically reduce waste to a level that allows it to be put back onto the land.

All in a house that is super insulated naturally, using the ground and space/light heating concepts, with a sustainable wood chip/bark burning heating system for the winter months.

Couldn't have said it better myself neformore!

I was surprised that this thread didn't go anywhere at first considering the people on this board and I am glad others have taken an interest!

I believe this is the future.

Our current state of living is like a disease spreading on th face of this planet and WILL NOT last.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
He guys we are the Celts :-)

This is just up the road from me.

We have lots of this going on, Try making it to the UK one summer, most Festivals with great music have Yurt Workshops, and Tipi making stuff, try Green gathering or Sunrise, learn how to make fuel from Chip fat and party and dance in a safe event!

We also have Tipi Valley same thing since the 60's but Movable abodes:

One of the Tipi Communities website, on how and why you can live this type of life:

Zac's Tipi's

The communities, both the Hobbit's :-) and the Tipi People are always under threat from the police and courts, Tipi valley own their land but have had a terrible time by the powers that be.

Some more info on the legal challenges here:
BBC Tipi Valley

Kins Regards,

Elf a Tree house dweller :-)

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I just need to save up enough money. The only problem is that the "government" thinks that it owns all lands, therefore If I went and built a self sustained house off of the grid up in Yosemite National Park or the Sierra Nevada I'd still have to pay land taxes! LAND TAXES! WTF? Land taxes? Everything is taxed, everything is money.

With the internet anyone can do anything. All we need is for the internet to not die. All the information is on here. I could learn everything that I need to learn about how to make anything I need for my self sustaining house online. I don't need school, I don't need anything but a measly little job and some good money management for a couple of years.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Really cool video, I love the tribes outlook on life.

My question is why do all these tribes face such opposition from their governments? Petty harmless if you ask me. Are they really that greedy and want a few hundred bucks in taxes or are they afraid that this way of life will catch on and they wont be necessary anymore?

There is no need for a large overbearing government in a self sustaining society and thats why they are so cool. Maye going back to nature is the answer to all of mans problems!!!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bringthelight
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Really cool video, I love the tribes outlook on life.

My question is why do all these tribes face such opposition from their governments? Petty harmless if you ask me. Are they really that greedy and want a few hundred bucks in taxes or are they afraid that this way of life will catch on and they wont be necessary anymore?

There is no need for a large overbearing government in a self sustaining society and thats why they are so cool. Maye going back to nature is the answer to all of mans problems!!!

Well I think you are right, that going back to a more natural lifestyle would solve a lot of the problems we are causing, creating and experiencing.

I think though since the advent of TV, consumerism, "education" in the West since the Second World War, The view that this traditional and natural way of human existence is "Savage" and the consumer, greed self led culture of the West is so imprinted and ingrained, that sadly most Humans in the west today, have now become emotionally unable to live as a Natural Human being anymore.

The persecution these sort of communities face is across the world and goes way back in History. The "Gypsies" of Russia, Europe etc have had a very hard time especially.

This type of community does not give any wealth, or "slave" labor to bankers and politicians, they are not "consumers" and also they wont "fight for the Country/Motherland/Homeland/Queen & Country"

They have realised "they" as in the elite and as above need "us" more than "we" need "them" to survive!

Humans can live happy, healthy long lives without working most of their life for someone else, and getting shot in the local Ghetto or War.

Whilst also living in nature as God, the Universe or our consciousness intended us to.

They have us in the worst trap, we are slaves, and controlled and yet they force us to "sin" create Bad Karma, or just diminish our Human Being Pride, every time we pollute, take advantage of another person, or use force and anger, war to get our $ as most of the trap and illusion of Capitalism is.

We are slaves and will suffer spiritually for our actions too, that is if you believe in that sort of thing!

As unlike many on the "net" they actually Walk the Walk and not just speculate.

Really in this world of Superpowers and nukes "they" are the biggest danger to "them" by far! Nuclear weapons and guns cant kill your enemy unless you can get force someone to use one!

Do you see the Boys on the Hill or the Bankers fighting for your homes or wealth? like we do for them.

If only about 20% of the west just all started living like this within months the world would be different and in a better way!

Cant have the slaves knowing there is a door out of the work camp now can we?

So they are persecuted, ridiculed and even stopped from operating within the "norms" even within a legal framework.

Kind regards,

Elf

[edit on 26-9-2008 by MischeviousElf]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join