It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Issues RFID-Encoded Drivers Licenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

New York Issues RFID-Encoded Drivers Licenses

www.newsday.com

BUFFALO - New York drivers can begin applying today for an enhanced driver's license that will comply with tighter travel controls adopted after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

The state becomes the nation's second, after Washington state, to offer licenses that can be shown at the U.S. border instead of a more expensive passport.

The optional license will include a picture and radio frequency identification tag that can be scanned to verify a person's identity. The tag will not contain any personal information - only an assigned number, authorities said.

Drivers, though, should be prepared to offer a stack of identifying paperwork when they apply for an enhanced driver's license, and to spend an extra $30.

Erie County Clerk Kathleen Hochul advises drivers to make sure they have what they need before heading into the motor vehicles office.

"It's actually surprising, there's more information than people are going to think they need," said Hochul, who anticipates her county will issue more enhanced driver's licenses than most because of its proximity to Canada.

Those trading in a current driver's license will need, in addition to the old license, a birth certificate or other proof of U.S. citizenship, their Social Security card and two proofs of New York residency, such as recent property tax bills or credit card statements. The documents will be scanned for authenticity, a step that will add 10 to 15 minutes to the application process.All of the licenses are produced in Albany and mailed to drivers.

"It does take more time," Hochul said. The trade-off, she said, is preserving the ability to make spontaneous trips across the border to shop or dine when an oral declaration of citizenship and regular license is no longer enough to get through U.S. Customs.

"That's real important in an area like ours," she said.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Is this proof of a start of the American Union??/?

I mean I know it's just new york and Washington. It looks like they are slowly trying to bring in those tracking chips and yet people in New york well some are happy for this thinking it's good to have this so they can cross the border with Canada quickly and easier.

I know this here say that no personal info will be on the chip but how can you really trust them???

it's currently optional but once they build the structure and debug any bugs I would think they would make them a requirement.
what do you guys think of this???

www.newsday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-9-2008 by computerwiz32]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

At least it seems like we're free to chose whether or not we get one.

I'll be much more concerned when it becomes mandatory.

On the other hand, how can we be assured that this won't be abused by the intelligence agencies who thrive on invading privacy? Can we?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
thats pretty serious considering i live in Albany and work for the NYS government. It also wasnt mentioned that I saw in the Albany Times Union, one of the main newspapers.

~GLGMSH

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
If you have the time and can do some digging, go to your states web site and its legislative page and peruse the bills still in commitee. You might find a bill pretaining to these ID cards. From what I can gather, many other states have these bills going through the process!!
Zindo

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I have an RFID chip in my passpeort.

You have to remember thst these cannnot be considered tracking chips - they have no power of their own, all they do is use power that is induced via radio waves to return the data they hold... this is why they are ideal for things like tags, passports and drivers licences - they flash back a number that will be used by a computer! They wont track you per say, that is unless the number is read at every move.

They do make things easier tho. Make of that what you will

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

yes I know but how can you say it can't be a tracking device since it's used on products.

I am currently in college and I am going for a business degree and I had a ITCS class to teach us this technology and many other stuff.

we got to create a database that we created and had to create a system one was a security check in point where we had a to act like if we have our own company how will we track employees coming into the building and out for security purpose so we had to create a database with fake employees and created tables with the person info and the id number we created for them.

we then used some sort of encryption and decryption. We then ran a test and got a system going then once we got graded we then had to for bonus points we could have our system chanllenged where one person in the class would put there system to the test and have another person to challenge it by hacking it in anyway who ever won they would get bonus points on there project grade.

What we learned you can do alot with rf tags.

My point was that could this be the start??? I mean they wont go out and say hey today we decided to have everyone tag so form a single file line and get tag...no

They usually have some sort of excuse of how this could be good and they first give you the option once more and more caught on and once they get most americans hooked on it thinking this is good and many nuts that think this is for enslavement are crazy because they had this chip and nothing bad is going on. Then they can at a point have this manatory.

the rf chips or tags you may call it does have the ability to store data on it. This data could be personal or whatever.

they currently do use this in ups where the chip gives the data of where the package came from and where it's going to ect.

this is how they have that webpage where you type in the id code and you can find where your package is at right now.

I am saying this is not going to enslave you now nore in the next year or 2 but once it becomes mandatory it would be too late to rebel against it since many people are convince that the chip is doing noting but good.

I am just saying could this be the start???

I mean if you were to sell a product how would you do it??? don't most give some out for free or have a contest where someone can win this product it's a way to market the product and hopefully hook people

I am just saying that I am keeping an eye on this..

Also you said that these are not tracking devices then how come some companies already are using it to just do that to tract employees and to tract inventory.

[edit on 18-9-2008 by computerwiz32]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
The Antichrist! The mark of the Beast!!!

It may look like its "optional" now, but just wait.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The Antichrist! The mark of the Beast!!!

It may look like its "optional" now, but just wait.

I have to agree with ya there. People are "willing" to receive it now, but in the near future, will it still be "willing" or "mandatory" to receive it? I know "something" is going to be mandatory, just not sure what that is yet.

I was just wondering if my new license I got a couple weeks ago has been chipped or not. If you hold it up to a light source you can see right through them now, very flimsy, with 2 sets of bar codes on the back, not including the black strip. I still have my old pre-911 license, granted it's been holed.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

Good response.... Solution (if your really that bothered
) shield your wallet from electro magnetic interference - take a leaf from my avatar

join