It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there a way to 'turn off' the U2U messaging system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'd like to disengage my U2U box from receiving messages is this possible? I find it incredibly time consuming. The ATS admin sends a large amount of U2U's and frankly, I can't be bothered. As of now, I merely click on the U2U button when its red and don't even bother reading the messages. Which, I do not believe is against T&C; right? I'd like to be clued in on whether it is or not, since I am clearly making the assumption that it is not.

I'd also like to know whether or not it is in violation of T&C to simply let your U2U box fill up, unitl it can no longer receive messages. Because this is my goal as of now, since I haven't figured out how to completely shut it off as of yet.

Thanks.

[edit on 18/9/2008 by agent violet]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Edit

[wrong forum]

[edit on 9/18/2008 by yeahright]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

You'd still recieve new messages, it just deletes the oldest one in your list for every additional U2U over the limit you get. I strongly doubt they built a method to completely ignore admin & mod messages into the ATS system. Had they done that, we'd also be able to "ignore" mods' posts via the "ignore user" button.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
yeah right, thank you for the reply.

I always read the heading of the U2U message sent. However, as of late I do not read the message itself.

So I am curious as to whether or not this process of not reading the message itself (not the heading, obviously) goes directly against T&C? I am just curious, because I certainly agree with you. And with that said, would think that active-members would be required to read the staff messages.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
burdman30ott6, thank you for the input.

So, I suppose that there is not a 'maximum-capacity' of the U2U box then.
Which, I can clearly understand I suppose. However, is it required that members read all admin messages that are sent to them? If not, than that in itself would be bypassing the need for the U2U function to be disabled? So, I would think that members would be 'required' to read the admin messages as they are the T&C, no?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by agent violet

Sorry about that. I thought I was reading in the Complaints forum and not BBQ. See all this political "stuff" has me spinnin'. [no excuses]

The answer to your question is, you can't turn off your u2us. No one is going to make you read them and you can delete anything you'd like. The only potential problem there is if a member would need to have something called to their attention by staff, and it's "ignored".

You may not ever have to worry about that. But we frequently attempt to resolve issues with members via u2u prior to taking any warn type action or (heaven forfend) banning.

It does surprise me that you get that many u2us from ATS. I get ones for staff only, plus the all member ones, and I'm sure it's averaging less than one a week.

So anyway, the literal answer to your question is that it's not a T&C violation to not read your u2us. It is a violation to not heed a request from staff which is likely to come via u2u.

Clear as mud?

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
You can't be forced to read anything in your u2u box. It would be like getting junk mail delivered to your home and then have a law requiring you to read it before you toss it in the recycle bin.

As of the past few days Admin has put out a number of messages to do with politics that I just deleted because they don't involve me.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
You do realize that the messages sent out by admin are intended to clarify or announce things in relation to site business.

Examples would be announcing the creation of a new forum, a new (or changed) policy and things like that.

Do you have to read them? I suppose you can click delete if you want to. However, using a recent u2u as an example... if you decided to delete the one announcing the new policy against political baiting and then you get tagged for political baiting it's hardly fair to say "I didn't know".

The vast majority of the u2us sent by admin are a courtesy to our members. If you're too busy to read the site announcements it is my hope that you won't complain about anything you might miss.

As far as turning off your u2u box or opting out of receiving messages from admin, sorry, that's not an option.

On a personal note, I really don't think we send out very many u2us...

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
anxiety disorder and Djarums(love the glowing eye effect on your av), thank you kindly for the replies.

Much appreciation for the information. I was more or less just curious.

Thank you all again.

agent violet

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think you're greatly exaggerating the "extremely time consuming" and "large amounts" part. I think I've gone a month or more without receiving any U2U...but yeah I usually just skim the linked portion to see what it's talking about and delete all of them.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Yarcofin, thanks for the reply.

Not to be picky but since you quoted me, I must correct you: I said 'incredibly' time consuming. not that it matters though to each's own of course. However, what I was trying to get across was that I find it to be quite the nuisance.

It was simply my opinion on the matter.

Thanks again.

top topics

join