It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sen. Hagel: It’s a ‘Stretch’ to Say Palin Is Qualified

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

But it doesn't matter, does it?

I know you didn't start this thread, so it's not your fault that we are here discussing this. And to be honest, bringing up Biden's comment was a great way to squelch anymore partying over the Hagen comment.

In the end, however, I think we all know that neither comment holds any water.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
reply to

Obama

12 years in office
State Senate - 8 Years
US Senate - 4 Years

Palin

12 years in office
Mayor - 10 Years
Governor - 2 Years

Let's not overlook the fact that for 2 of the 4 years Obama has been in the US Senate, he's been on the campaign trail, not doing his job.

Time Period Number of Votes Missed Votes Percent.
2007-Q2 112 20 17.9%
2007-Q3 119 67 56.3%
2007-Q4 85 76 89.4%
2008-Q1 85 31 36.5%
2008-Q2 77 65 84.4%
2008-Q3 38 32 84.2%

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRooster

If I felt in any way you were concerned about Obama's experience compared to Palin, I might comment on what you just said. But I'm not sure you do, as much as you enjoy saying anything that you think hurts Obama.

For instance, Palin spent a lot of time campaigning recently herself - for Governor. You know, that whole campaign about being offended by the "bridge to no where" phrase.

They both have 12 years experience. Palin has 10 as mayor, 2 as governor. Obama has 8 as state senate, and 4 as US senate. He also worked as a community organizer before that.

On paper, their experience levels aren't that far off. So the next issue is: How do they do in the interview?

So let's see some debates!!!! That's when we can really talk.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

If I felt in any way you were concerned about Obama's experience compared to Palin, I might comment on what you just said. But I'm not sure you do, as much as you enjoy saying anything that you think hurts Obama.

My friend I am more concerned than you think! Compared to the GOP ticket, Obama has had nothing short of stuffed teddybears lobbed at him in MOST if not ALL of his interviews. The man is a good speaker when he has a telepromptor, and struggles when he doesn't. So much money is being thrown at his candidacy it beggs to be asked where is it all coming from, and why do these groups want him in office so bad?

And you assert "I enjoy saying anything I think hurts him"? Most of what I write is a mere echo of other people's words and sentiments. During the Democratic primary nearly every single democratic front runner took shots at Obama for inexperience. How can so many well educated people point out to the general public this mans short comings, and now expect us to ignore what was said because "they're all behind him now", or because he's going to cover their campaign debt?

Sorry, I'll pass! No one is asking this man the tough questions; Grove Parc, Ayer's, Wright, Rezko, etc... So perhaps you're right, we'll see what happens at the debate. I just hope when it happens they speak to the issues, not the BS. Or I'm writing in Ron Paul for POTUS.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
delete

[edit on 18-9-2008 by AtlantaInsider1]

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hey guys, these are questions all of the Republicans dodge. Let's see.

TheRooster,
Do you believe John McCain is the most qualified candidate that could have been selected by the Republican party?

Do you believe John McCain picked the most qualified Republican candidate to be his VP?

I will hound you until you answer. I am literally going to die until I see you response. My fear is you will be like most Republican and not answer because there is not a talking points memo on how to respond.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Listen up folks please.

Remember this? A Call To Action: Ending The Political Game on ATS

This thread started as a decent conversation, and has degenerated into bickering.

Either it gets back on topic, and to the standards that SO has set out in his call to action, or it goes the same way as the other threads that degenerated into bicker fests have done. By all means compare the candidates qualifications and capabilities, but no more partisan rhetoric please.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AtlantaInsider1
Hey guys, these are questions all of the Republicans dodge. Let's see.

TheRooster,
Do you believe John McCain is the most qualified candidate that could have been selected by the Republican party?

Do you believe John McCain picked the most qualified Republican candidate to be his VP?

I will hound you until you answer. I am literally going to die until I see you response. My fear is you will be like most Republican and not answer because there is not a talking points memo on how to respond.

No hounding necessary my friend, read on...

No, I do not believe John McCain was the most qualified candidate my party could have nominated. (but nobody asked me)

No, I do not think John McCain picked the most qualified VP. (and again, I had no say, but I kind of like her)

Yes, I am capable of independent thought, I don't need daily programming nor do I need to subscribe to daily memo's for my talking points.

The problem I have with most Liberals is they can tell you exactly what's wrong and whine about it adnauseum, but they rarely have a remedy. Unless we begin to sequester our youth in preparation for a political career, we are going to have to forego certain un pleasantries in the process of choosing POTUS. We will have to take the good with the bad and the bad with the good.

If you want to change the way things are done in Washington you are going to have to either bring in an outsider, or choose someone with experience (an insider) that hasn't sold out to the special interests (good luck with that one).

The outsider may not have the experience you really want, but they may be very capable of doing the job. Unfortunately this may be a wait and see scenario.

As far as an insider goes, McCain arguebly has the most experience reaching across the isle, which is what it is going to take to get anything through Congress or the House. McCain's voting record is hardly that of a Conservative Republican... McCain/Kennedy....McCain/Feingold...

2 years ago the libs were chanting "change, change, change" remember Pelosi, Reid? Please tell me what positive change have they ushered in for the last 2 years? They were voted into office under the platform of change and we got lip service, so please excuse me if I have some reservations about Obama (the REAL change candidate)

So what's the answer you ask? IMHO, A third, fourth, or fith party, because the two party system no longer works for this country. We are 2, too divided.

posted on Sep, 18 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Multiple parties are in Canada with Conservatives, Liberals, New Democrat Party being the big 3. It's pretty rare for a government to have a majority in the government and having more voices debating on the floor is a good thing. Your 2 parties should merge and become the "Democraticans" as there really isn't much difference between the two. Our parties are vastly different and the Green Party got official PM recognition. They may have a chance, part of their platform is to legalize POT. So they just sowed up British Columbia. Just kidding.

Back on topic, I just don't see what she brings to the table other then courting the woman vote. Her record in office isn't something to brag about. Most of her peers said she was almost maniacally focused on closing the pipeline deal and ignored the rest of her duties. Most commissioners never received guidance from her on how she wanted them to run their departments. It's been frequently reported that during meetings she was on her blackberry or would excuse herself to take phone calls on her cell and never return to the meeting.

Not too mention the reports of her and Todd abusing her power for personal vendettas.

I'll get heat for supposedly "BASHING" poor 'ol Sara Palin. However, her record is starting to speak for herself. She is in no position to be VP let alone POTUS. I wouldn't let her manage my bake sale. She has a history of putting herself first and everyone else last. Just ask her hometown and the amount of debt she racked up before leaving as Mayor. They've had to cancel other projects because of it. Her legacy sports complex was so poorly managed that the town is still racking up massive legal fees fighting a land claim battle that she ignored. She commenced construction without fully owning the land they were building on. She wanted her legacy finished no matter what.

She can't handle these tasks without making a mess out of things. You really think she can run a country the size and scope of the US.

If you vote them in, you get everything you deserve. Obama's no better but given the choice he's the better one. At least you won't be fighting wars for the foreseeable future.

Later

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by RRconservative
How is Barack Obama any more qualified than Sarah Palin?

Obama Spent 3 years as an exceptional community organizer, became the first black President of the Harvard Law Review, created a voter registration drive that registered 150,000 new voters, spent 12 years as a Constitutional Law professor, spent 8 years as a State Senator representing a district with over 750,000 people, became chairman of the state Senate's Health and Human Services committee, spent 4 years in the United States Senate representing a state of 13 million people while sponsoring 131 bills and serving on the Foreign Affairs, Environment and Public Works and Veteran's Affairs committees.

I lived in Chicago for 50 years and ran for US House of Representatives in 2002, here is what your forgot.

During Obama's 2002 campaign he was NEVER called a community organizer, he was a civil rights attorney 'ambulance chaser looking for business, he never worked at a regular job-flipped burgers, office worker, etc., how can one teach Constitutional Law yet dispise the Constitution, in the Illinois Senate he voted "Present" 143 times on controversial bills so it could not be held against him, he was the only one to support letting aborted babies die who surrived the abortion, he is good friends with nasty black activists Jesse Jackson, Louis Farrakan and lives in their neighborhood, he worked on a local board and has a close association with Bill Ayers-murderer and Weatherman Underground domestic terrorists who did several bombing, he did NOT author ANY US Senate bill, only a co-sponsor bills - big deal and he has spent more time in the US Senate running for President than actually being a Senator.
Just remember Al Capone, mafia chieftan of Chicago, was a community organizer too

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I find it interesting that people think anyone is actually qualified for the office of President of VP.

The joke is: anyone that would actually want the job is not mentally fit for the job. If they want the job then there must be somthing wrong with them.

I think that is exactly why someone like Sarah Palin is right for the job. She has no freaking idea how to do it, which says alot considering that everyone else thinks they know how and what they promote is the same crap that has landed up in the hell hole we are in now. By the way Obama is just a reincarnation of Carter; he would be a president that would acomplish absolutly nothing and then embarase the country in his retirement. As long as she does the job and doesn't let someone drag her around with money like everyone in DC right now. I love how politicians can be bought; I just wish I had enough money to buy a few...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:57 AM
link   
How can she do the job when it seems her record indicates that she struggles to manage a small town let alone a country of 280 Million people and 1000's of nuclear weapons.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRooster

My friend I am more concerned than you think! Compared to the GOP ticket, Obama has had nothing short of stuffed teddybears lobbed at him in MOST if not ALL of his interviews. The man is a good speaker when he has a telepromptor, and struggles when he doesn't. So much money is being thrown at his candidacy it beggs to be asked where is it all coming from, and why do these groups want him in office so bad?

And you assert "I enjoy saying anything I think hurts him"? Most of what I write is a mere echo of other people's words and sentiments. During the Democratic primary nearly every single democratic front runner took shots at Obama for inexperience. How can so many well educated people point out to the general public this mans short comings, and now expect us to ignore what was said because "they're all behind him now", or because he's going to cover their campaign debt?

Sorry, I'll pass! No one is asking this man the tough questions; Grove Parc, Ayer's, Wright, Rezko, etc... So perhaps you're right, we'll see what happens at the debate. I just hope when it happens they speak to the issues, not the BS. Or I'm writing in Ron Paul for POTUS.

CITIZENS donate the majority of OBAMAS $$$$$$$.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It all comes down to this; do you want a really skilled downright bad person and liar, or do you want a person with integrity and little 'experience'? Washington, like Alaska was, is run by foul smelling rotten people. But THEY have 'experience'! I'd sooner have my dead dog than any of the Communist Democrats running things. At least a dead dog would not give away our rights and take 75% of our money like the current government is. Yup, you heard it right. The Fed, state, county, and local budgets equal 75% of GNP. Think really hard, I know it's not easy, but you may have a moment of 'oh!'. Before she came into the factor, I was against ALL of the 'candidates' because they are not patriotic, and do not support US. They are all run by the elite, for a NWO and one world government. It will happen, but later is better than sooner.

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
The more I watch Palin the less qualified she sounds... I have ONLY heard opinions and assertions come out of her mouth. This may hold for a while but the longer she shys from addressing specifics, the more this "UNDER-QUALIFIED" argument gains momentum.

I have been away from ATS now that they have killed the political board. In my E-Journeys I have come across many message boards that seem to echoing my sentiments. It is not common to read that solid REPO's are now becoming increasingly
worried about this reality. I cautiously believe that the bubble has burst and that the PALIN choice will start to weigh Mccain down. She is viewed as way to green, to radical
and not entirely honest.

A second note : the OBAMA fundraising is going off the charts, no small thanks to the BARRACUDA!

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
It all comes down to this; do you want a really skilled downright bad person and liar, or do you want a person with integrity and little 'experience'? Washington, like Alaska was, is run by foul smelling rotten people. But THEY have 'experience'! I'd sooner have my dead dog than any of the Communist Democrats running things. At least a dead dog would not give away our rights and take 75% of our money like the current government is. Yup, you heard it right. The Fed, state, county, and local budgets equal 75% of GNP. Think really hard, I know it's not easy, but you may have a moment of 'oh!'. Before she came into the factor, I was against ALL of the 'candidates' because they are not patriotic, and do not support US. They are all run by the elite, for a NWO and one world government. It will happen, but later is better than sooner.

What rights are you referring to specifically?

SARAH PALIN is actively trying to bury the Allegations of abuse of power in Alaska.

The initial investigation was launched by 10 republicans and 4 democrats. I say if she is as honest as you figure why is her camp trying to STOP the investigation?

SAME for her husband?

ARE they above the law?

Do you believe a different standard should be applied to politicians?

When a criminal runs it usually is associated with guilt. She should stand judgment and not act like another above the law BUSH crony. If she is as honest as you suspect
she will be all the better...

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 04:05 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sublime620

great, just great. now how am i supposed to decide. they're EQUAL!? I don't know what to do.

just kidding, and thanks for trying to step into the middle. its the hardest place to be.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join